Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with importing pets? I'm thinking best option is to use an Aussie based shipper, as they will make the transfer from Melbourne quarantine to Sydney easier. Any tips? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Never seen a flying cat mate, really keen on seeing the cat in action ;)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Does anyone have experience with importing pets? I'm thinking best option is to use an Aussie based shipper, as they will make the transfer from Melbourne quarantine to Sydney easier. Any tips? Any recommendations?

Which country is your animal coming from?? If it's not from a rabies free country then animal will have to stay in a rabies free country for a span of 6 months. This was the case 3 years ago when we got our pet dog in Australia. Tests will be conducted, if they meet Aussie standards then a permit is issued to import it into the country and once animal arrive it needs to stay in a quarantine for 10 days and after that you can use courier companies to deliver your animal at your doorstep there are many available in Melbourne.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,694 Posts
Which country is your animal coming from?? If it's not from a rabies free country then animal will have to stay in a rabies free country for a span of 6 months. This was the case 3 years ago when we got our pet dog in Australia. Tests will be conducted, if they meet Aussie standards then a permit is issued to import it into the country and once animal arrive it needs to stay in a quarantine for 10 days and after that you can use courier companies to deliver your animal at your doorstep there are many available in Melbourne.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In terms of the actual legal requirements, the only reliable and current source of information is the Australian Department of Agriculture and Water Resources.

Their website is always kept up to date with current requirements. :)

Direct advice from them to ExpatForum:

The best advice that we can give for the prospective imports of dogs and cats to Australia is that people should always contact the Australia Government Department of Agriculture and Water Resources to ensure that they are aware of our import requirements and processes which may change from time to time.

Here's their current guide: Step-by-step guides

:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts