Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in UK on a fiance visa, which expires on 23 June. My partner and I are doing our marriage registry by end of May, and right after that I will apply to switch to spouse visa (FLR_M), but the earliest online appointment (premium service) I could get now is 25 June.
I also have to mention that I need to travel back to Singapore in June, though I can arrange to be back at UK before the current visa expires in 23 June. Will I get into big trouble on my coming back to UK, even if I provide proof that we are waiting for our appointment to switch my fiance visa to a spouse visa?
Any advice appreciated

·
Registered
39,153 Posts
I'm in UK on a fiance visa, which expires on 23 June. My partner and I are doing our marriage registry by end of May, and right after that I will apply to switch to spouse visa (FLR_M), but the earliest online appointment (premium service) I could get now is 25 June.
I also have to mention that I need to travel back to Singapore in June, though I can arrange to be back at UK before the current visa expires in 23 June. Will I get into big trouble on my coming back to UK, even if I provide proof that we are waiting for our appointment to switch my fiance visa to a spouse visa?
First, have you checked available appointments at all PEOs? You don't have to use the nearest.

Secondly, if 25th June is the really the earliest you can get, you can't use premium service and have to apply by post - typical processing time is 3-4 months.

Thirdly, you should not travel out of UK after you are married and before you get your FLR (in the form of biometric residence permit). If you do, your visa is no longer valid on your return as you aren't a fiancé any more but a spouse (change of status and circumstance). So you will face a big problem, even if you show you are going to apply for FLR before visa expiry. If you are very unlucky, you may even be put on the next flight home. So if you can't get your FLR before leaving UK, you need to rearrange your travel plan.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First, have you checked available appointments at all PEOs? You don't have to use the nearest.

Secondly, if 25th June is the really the earliest you can get, you can't use premium service and have to apply by post - typical processing time is 3-4 months.

Thirdly, you should not travel out of UK after you are married and before you get your FLR (in the form of biometric residence permit). If you do, your visa is no longer valid on your return as you aren't a fiancé any more but a spouse (change of status and circumstance). So you will face a big problem, even if you show you are going to apply for FLR before visa expiry. If you are very unlucky, you may even be put on the next flight home. So if you can't get your FLR before leaving UK, you need to rearrange your travel plan.
Thank you very much for your reply.
I have checked other PEOs, they have slightly earlier date like 20 June, but it is not early enough for me to be travelling to singapore in early June to attend something important.
I read in UKBA site the option to use a third-party representatives' (OISC registered) same-day service. I consider my application rather straightforward, is it any possible a legal representative (who is OISC registered, and will run through my applications, checked all supporting documents) could get an earlier appointment date than I can?

·
Registered
112 Posts
What are the current processing times for an application from Singapore? I'm sure Joppa will correct me if I'm wrong, but perhaps the most realistic option for you, if you can't get a premium appointment before you need to leave the UK, would be to return home to attend the event you need to and submit your application in Singapore and then return to the UK when you have your spouse visa. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
39,153 Posts
What are the current processing times for an application from Singapore? I'm sure Joppa will correct me if I'm wrong, but perhaps the most realistic option for you, if you can't get a premium appointment before you need to leave the UK, would be to return home to attend the event you need to and submit your application in Singapore and then return to the UK when you have your spouse visa. Best of luck to you.
That would be another way but I believe people have been waiting around a month for settlement visas and they have no priority/premium service. You can sign up to a text message service updating you on the status of your application at various stages.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Liz! I might look into that. I'm not sure what's the current processing time for a spouse visa in Singapore, but when I did apply my fiance visa from singapore late last year it took about 3 weeks, which was pretty fast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.