Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, on Thursday my husband is applying for his FLR in person. Our case is a bit tricky so I'd like some advice!

Firstly, I read elsewhere of being accompanying their spouse to the appointment. Is this mandatory? I had not planned for that and am unable to go with him!

Our situation is that we were married last week in a registry office, but are having a 'wedding' ceremony in a church on June 16th. Until then, he is living with my parents and I am there during my days off from work. We go away on honeymoon on June 17th, so we need the visa to go smoothly!
We are currently in the proceedings of getting a flat, but the reference checks have only just begun. Will it be acceptable that I am working away from home?

Also, I haven't changed my name on my credit cards/passport etc. as I intend to change it all after our honeymoon. I signed the FLR(m) form with my married surname, is that acceptable?

I can't wait for it to be all over and done with!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
We had our same-day FLR today (and described what it was like here in case it's useful to others about to do the same): http://www.expatforum.com/expats/br...-what-its-like-other-applicants-new-post.html...

If at all possible, it is better if both of you can attend. I am the sponsor and they asked me nearly as many questions as they did my partner, and they also checked that the photo in my passport was me too (or so it appeared). However, I don't believe it's mandatory. I just don't know anything about what happens if only one of you attends.

Your registry office will be your 'legal' wedding evidence and so your certificate for that will be fine (doesn't matter about any further services you intend on having).

Regarding your name, we hadn't changed our surnames either (we intend doing that next). The interviewing officer assured us it was immaterial when we did this and wouldn't have any bearing on the visa. The fact you've used your married surname on the form should be absolutely fine because the marriage register copy will show the origin of name change.

As for the rest, all I can say is that they did not check our documents supporting where we're living or where I work (or whether my partner intends to work). They didn't want to see my utility bills, mortgage statements or title deeds. All they wanted was marriage/cp certificate, both passports, and either bank statements or payslips for the last three months (we offered more but we were declined each time). All else we'd brought was simply not required. However, that said, our circumstances are different to yours so I can't guarantee they won't want to see more about where you're living currently (we're living in our own house together and are not being supported by anyone else). But for us it wasn't even raised (the only address-related remark made throughout the entire process was that the Biometrics Residency Permit would be dispatched to whichever address was entered in the application form).

Other than the accompanying bit (which someone else might be able to clarify because I don't really know much about any issue of you not being there too), I think you'll be absolutely fine. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I read in your thread that you gave them your passport. Do you know if a copy/certified copy is okay? I'm cabin crew so I'm unable to give them mine on the day!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Thanks! I read in your thread that you gave them your passport. Do you know if a copy/certified copy is okay? I'm cabin crew so I'm unable to give them mine on the day!
You know? I'm not sure. He asked for the copies separately and later. It was very early on that he asked for BOTH of our passports. We were well into the interview by the time he asked for the photocopy pages.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Too late for me to edit...

I've just seen that UKBA added "* THERE ARE NO OFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS *" to my passport bio pages. This is why they retained mine, then. I'm not sure whether this is stamped purely because they were making an official check anyway and my passport is çlean, or because my passport is empty (unused). So they needed my actual passport, it seems (as well as my partner's). That said, what would they do with sponsors who don't have a current passport? So I'm not sure.

If it was me, I would be inclined to rearrange the FLR appointment so I could be there too, rather than risk a refusal or having to pay that fee all over again.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Oh my - ANOTHER update! I'm so sorry about this!

I looked into this passport stamping to see what it meant. It appears to be a basic passport check made by the Home Office (applied to UK passports issued since 2010 according to a Home Office document http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/public...ion-guidance/basic-passport-check?view=Binary). As a result, this is likely not related to the visa process at all, but just an opportunity for UKBA to run a routine check since my passport was already there. The interviewing officer did ask for BOTH our passports though.

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
So, on Thursday my husband is applying for his FLR in person. Our case is a bit tricky so I'd like some advice!

Firstly, I read elsewhere of being accompanying their spouse to the appointment. Is this mandatory? I had not planned for that and am unable to go with him!

Our situation is that we were married last week in a registry office, but are having a 'wedding' ceremony in a church on June 16th. Until then, he is living with my parents and I am there during my days off from work. We go away on honeymoon on June 17th, so we need the visa to go smoothly!
We are currently in the proceedings of getting a flat, but the reference checks have only just begun. Will it be acceptable that I am working away from home?

Also, I haven't changed my name on my credit cards/passport etc. as I intend to change it all after our honeymoon. I signed the FLR(m) form with my married surname, is that acceptable?

I can't wait for it to be all over and done with!
My observations:

You are recommended to attend together. If you cannot be there, you should leave your contact phone number (mobile?) in case they want to ask questions. If you are flying and cannot be in touch, in some cases they may not be able to process your partner's application on the same day and you may have to make another booking or apply by post. This is most likely to happen when you first approach a counter officer and your application is briefly gone through before paying your fees.

Your passport can just be a photocopy, as they can look up your details on the passport database (if it's a British passport). If it's a non-UK passport, photocopy of relevant pages should be certified. If you are attending together, just bring your passport along with photocopy.

The fact you aren't actually living together and you are unable to be present may mean your case isn't straightforward and they cannot do it on the same day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.