Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I thought I'll share my experience with everyone who might want to know. I applied my visa as unmarried (same sex) partner on 18th October 2013. I also got on well with the officers working there and made friends with them (to kill 2.5hours of waiting time) so I found out more info. It should be the same with postal application.

So I applied after living together for 2 years & 4 months and I had submitted the whole 2 years worth of bank statements (to be cautious). I did overdo it because I thought more is better than less. I found that proof of relationship (is subsisting & genuine) is the same as corresponding documents. They suggest that for the next application (2.5 years time & same documents required), it would be best to have 1 document every 3-4 months. So that would mean you'll have about 6 in 2 years. They said to be on the safe side, to provide just 8 in case. Any joint information counts as 1 for partner & sponsor. So if you have 3 joint bills, it'll be sufficient but just add another for safety.

It helps to create a list of index and also file it accordingly to those index. I also submitted cover letter. Although some people suggested photos (of holidays,etc), they don't need and won't look through them. Cover letters are useful from both of you as it's the only way they will know about you unless you are called up for an interview. Being married or unmarried shouldn't matter to them (i.e, it doesn't become more problematic if you're unmarried) but it helps if you're married as you won't need to prove the correspondences for the past 2 years.

All in all, it was 2.5 hours wait but I did show them a lot of documents. My experiences with the PEO has been positive. Very professional & helpful. I even got an update during the caseworker's review. It really helps to be polite and nice to them.

In terms of finances, my sponsor is in unsalaried full time employment and is paid weekly and it's different every week. All we did was to type up on a sheet the weekly pay, total them by month and calculate the average as per the guide. I think it really helps with that. As for me, I am full time salaried employment. As paranoia and fear kicked in, I just included my wages as well although on my sponsor's salary alone is good enough. I would suggest that if you are in the same scenario, to just include your employment details (if you wish) as additional. It kinda helps for them to know you won't go on benefits, I think - which is why they've made it more difficult now.

They also pass on a letter to you prior to your appointment to inform you that if you comply to all apart from the minimum maintenance threshold, they will not make a decision on that day itself as currently there is a court case and it may take months- following the result of the court case. This only applies if you/partner earns less than the required £18,600.

The form can be a bit confusing sometimes (typos, misdirection to questions etc), but when I spoke to them; they are aware of that but that's down to the policy makers so they're quite understanding if there are any issues with the form filling part.

Not sure if these information helps but just thought I'll share. Good luck!:fingerscrossed::)

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
Thank you for your report.
Just to say that while things worked in a certain way in your experience, you shouldn't project it onto other people's applications and recommend they should do the same. There is no need for folders and index tabs etc for documents. At PEO, if they ask for certain items, such as financials, just hand them the bundle you have brought, and the same with others, which will all go into a plastic folder to be examined at the back office. For those who are posting their documents, again no tabs and folders but things neatly arranged in sections and tied together with strings in a cross fashion, so when they cut the strings, all the documents are separated and can be rearranged in their preferred order.
And despite your including unnecessary information about your financial details, that's something not recommended. It complicates your application and, in case of postal option, it can lose your focus and can hinder, not help, the smooth processing. I know of a case where someone actually got refused because they included unnecessary details in their financial evidence. I think the ECO just got confused.

It kinda helps for them to know you won't go on benefits...
No, it doesn't.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.