Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am applying now for the souse visa after getting married last month. I was previously granted a fiancé visa which allowed us to get married.
I have a query about question 1.4 and 1.5. It asks for full name as it appears in passport. My passport shows my maiden name which I have entered in question 1.4. Then question 1.5 asks for family name. Do I enter my married name here or my maiden family name?

Thank you for your help

·
Super Moderator
5,183 Posts
For 1.4 write your name exactly as it appears in your passport. Assuming that you've not yet applied for a passport in your married name, you would write as follows:

LAST NAME, First Name (space) Middle Name

i.e. DOE, Jane Alexandra

For 1.5 write

DOE

In the future, when you get a new passport (in Married Name, if that's what you are going to do), you need to a) notify the UKBA of the change of name in said document b) get a new BRP issued and c) surrender your current BRP and pay the change of name fee (currently £37) for the "privilege" (?!) of informing the UKBA of said change/issue of new BRP.

If you want and if you're willing to wait 2.5 years, you can initiate the above change just prior to applying for your second FLR(M) visa (you have 90 days from the date you change your name in your passport to inform the UKBA of the change)... doing it this way excuses you from having to pay the change of name fee, as a new BRP is issued to you when you are approved for your second FLR(M) visa.

It is completely legal to do it this way... I got married in November '11 and am still going by my maiden name in my passport. I am applying for ILR next October, so I didn't see the point in changing my passport (which was issued in February of last year anyway). At the time of my marriage, the wait to get the BRP changed was taking several months (2farapart waited for what seemed like forever for her new card to arrive), and since my husband and I wanted to be able to go travelling at a moment's notice and I was happy to wait until next fall to change everything, we decided to hold off changing my papers around.

I have some deed polls drawn up (but unsigned) to give to my banks, the GP and the DVLA to put the change into force next summer while I'm waiting for my new passport to arrive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thank you for your responses they have helped a lot.
I have another one about information to be handed in with the application. For the fiancé visa application we put together a folder with all the proof of a genuine relationship. Do we need to send all the info in again? Because now we have wedding pictures etc.

Thank you

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
You need proof of cohabitation, such as joint bills, official letters written to individually bearing the same address etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts