Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've gotten off the phone with the home office and have been left somewhat more confused than when I started! I am transferring from a tier 4 to a spousal visa this january and would like some guidance about meeting category B, part 2 the financial requirement, that is, having made £18,600 in the last 12 months:

I am employed full time on a contract paying over £18600 annually, ending on the date my visa expires. I will make approximately £4607.91 gross by the time we submit an application.

Now, my wife's primary income during the last 12 months are two tax free-academic stipends, the first at £957.5 for 7 months (£6702.50), the second £833.25 at four payments each (£3333.20). The latter stipend is for a PhD which she has just started, and so has 2.5 years of stipend payments left to collect.

She works part time at her parents cafe, and will make approximately £3976.45 gross by the time we submit our application.

We barely clear the requirement as it is (by about £20). However, I am wondering specifically about the income from academic stipends.

My questions:
1) The academic stipends are tax-free - will the case officer scale up these payments to a gross amount, as if they were taxable? Do you know how much they will be scaled up, if at all?

2) paragraph 20(f) in the guidance notes states: (f) Any future entitlement to a maintenance grant or stipend of the type specified in paragraph 10(g) may be counted as though the person had received the annual amount of that grant or stipend in the 12 months prior to the date of application.

Academic stipends are included in 10(g) So, does the above apply to us? Can we count the ENTIRE amount (£833.33 x 12 monthly instalments), as if it had been earned in the preceding 12 months?

Many, many thanks for your help.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.