Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Me and my girlfriend are planning on making our FLR application as soon as possible.

I am a UK citizen (born here), but I have spent the past 5 years studying/working in the USA, however my VISA did not get renewed in the US this year, so we are planning on relocating to the UK.

I have already moved, she will move once we figure the visa out (asap).

My girlfriend and I have been together for 3.5 years at this point, and just need some clarification regarding some of the evidence documents. I have been through some of the other threads on here, and believe we have enough, but our situation is slightly different than most.

For the cohabitation part of the VISA:

1st Lease, June 2014 - Dec 2014:
- Signed lease with both our names on it
- Letter from landlord addressed to both of us

2nd Lease, I lived there Jan 2015 - May 2016, she lived there Jan 2015 - June 2015:
- Signed lease with both our names of it
- Screenshots of her wiring me money for rent

3rd Lease (basement apartment in her parents house) June 2016 - June 2017:
- Both our US drivers licenses are registered here
- My US Visa is registered here
- Both have bank statements, medical bills etc to this address.

For the proving we’ve been in a relationship for this time:

- Many photos + videos. (In different locations, with both family and friends, also showing changes in how we look over the years).

- We have traveled together to the UK every year for the past 3 years (I have flight tickets and passport stamps).

- For when we were living apart, there is proof of mailing letters to each other, and packages being mailed to/from each other.

- Bus and Train tickets to show visiting each other when we lived apart.

- Photos from us on holiday together in a different places, there are receipts from hotels etc

- Adoption certificate of our dog with both our names on the certificate.

- We both graduated from the same university (not sure if this will help or not).

For the financial requirements section:

- I earn over the £18k minimum, however, due to being outside the UK for the past 5 years, I will only have 1 payslip from this job. and my UK accounts were left unused whilst I have been using my US accounts for the past 5 years, so I won’t have anything meaningful to show in my bank statements from this period.
— It’s very easy to explain why my accounts have had no use, but will I get the chance to explain this oddity? Also, does earning over the £18k minimum help to make a case that no financial struggle will occur?

- I do still have contracts from my work in the US (also is over the £18k amount) and these contracts have our last US address on them (Not sure if these will be useful)

- She has had the same job in the US for the past 2 years (over the £18k minimum), not sure if this matters at all.

Accommodation requirement:

- We will initially live at my parents house when she first arrives, so I can gather mortgage payments and anything else required from my parents.

Language requirement:

- I believe she is exempt as she is coming from the USA.

Any help or guidance on what else we can provide to strengthen our case would be much appreciated!

I am thinking of hiring a lawyer to aid with this, as it seems our situation is slightly more complex than normal. If anyone can recommend one in Central London, then please let me know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
- Screenshots of her wiring me money for rent
A screenshot is not an acceptable form of evidence
- Both have bank statements, medical bills etc to this address.
This is exactly the kind of evidence you need, it just needs to be spread out for the full period of the past two years

It sounds like you're really missing a lot of evidence required. They are quite strict about this for unmarried partners claiming to be in a relationship akin to marriage. Do you have any joint responsibilities such as children together or shared investments?

The communication/genuine relationship requirement is nearly nonexistent (except maybe for photos together) as the fact that you've been living together means you're obviously communicating and maintaining a relationship. So you really need to focus on meeting the cohabitation requirement exactly as described - 6 pieces of original, dated post addressed to you jointly (or 6 each, if addressed separately) from official sources (doctors/dentists, government offices, tenancy agreements) spread evenly throughout the period of cohabitation.

Yes she's exempt from the English language requirement and the accommodation in the UK shouldn't be an issue.

I earn over the £18k minimum, however, due to being outside the UK for the past 5 years, I will only have 1 payslip from this job
Not to intentionally nitpick, but it should be noted that the minimum salary is £18,600 and not £18k. I'm not quite sure what you mean by this statement about being outside the UK... In order to bring your spouse to the UK based on your employment income, you need to have been with your current employer for over six months, making over £18,600 in the US (with the most 6 months of recent payslips and corresponding bank statements to show for it) AND have a job offer in the UK making at least £18,600. If you're not employed or have more varied employment, you could also show that in the past 12 months you've made £18,600 or more (category B) but again you would need all of the payslips and bank statements showing the deposits, and you would still need a job offer in the UK meeting the minimum salary requirement. Either way, you'll need to find a way to get your payslips (from either the past 6 or 12 months, depending on the category) from your US employment.

Your partner's income doesn't factor in at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is exactly the kind of evidence you need, it just needs to be spread out for the full period of the past two years
From the most recent address we have more than 6 pieces each of official documentation.
Medical bills, drivers license renewals, IRS stuff and bank statements/bills.

However, for the previous 2 addresses all I have are the original tenancy agreements for each address and a single letter addressed to both of us from the landlord of one of the places. I have a box of stuff in the US, so I will have my girlfriend go through it this weekend, but I am not confident I will have any mail from these addresses.

Do you have any joint responsibilities such as children together or shared investments?
We adopted a dog from the SPCA earlier this year, his certificate is in both of our names, but other than that, due to me not being an American citizen, it was not feasible to have joint bank accounts etc over the past few years.

Not to intentionally nitpick, but it should be noted that the minimum salary is £18,600 and not £18k. I'm not quite sure what you mean by this statement about being outside the UK... In order to bring your spouse to the UK based on your employment income, you need to have been with your current employer for over six months, making over £18,600 in the US (with the most 6 months of recent payslips and corresponding bank statements to show for it) AND have a job offer in the UK making at least £18,600. If you're not employed or have more varied employment, you could also show that in the past 12 months you've made £18,600 or more (category B) but again you would need all of the payslips and bank statements showing the deposits, and you would still need a job offer in the UK meeting the minimum salary requirement. Either way, you'll need to find a way to get your payslips (from either the past 6 or 12 months, depending on the category) from your US employment.
Sorry, I should have made this clearer.

- I am in the UK right now, making over the £18,600 minimum. However, I have only been at this job for 1 month.

- In the US, my employment was slightly more varied (I was paid in vested equity for some time. I have dated IRS documents to prove this).

- All my US payslips were digital, so I may have trouble getting the past 12 months of them.

- Are print-outs of these slips and print-outs of online banking acceptable evidence when combined with a current UK job that pays over the minimum? Or does it have to be printed and sealed at the bank branch in the US?

- I also have my original signed and dated contract from my work in the US, that states I will earn over the minimum £18,600 in the past year. I can get a letter from my US job to corroborate this contract if necessary.

So far, I am feeling as if it will be easier for her to get a tier 2 general visa (her work is one of the 'in-demand' jobs) and then once I have 6 months of pay slips from my current UK work, I can file this visa if necessary.

Thanks for the help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.