Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your suggestion please on FLR(M) spouse visa and recent change in spouse's last name.

Basically my wife was granted 30 months Spouse Visa in 2012 while I was on ILR. A year later I got my British Citizenship and British passport. She has now changed her maiden name last month. Now my wife visa is ending in first week of Oct 15 and as per UKBA any change in circumstance such as name change etc., should get notified UKBA (fair enough) and also need to apply new BRP Card??

My queries are :
1. Can we apply for renewal of Spouse visa using same day service 3 months before ?

2. Instead of getting her new BRP card with new name should we apply directly for her visa renewal and notify UKBA about her change in name while we are appearing on the same day service and ask them to consider her new name and provide new BRP card ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply nyclon so does it mean I need to apply her new BRP card which will cost £500 then renewal of her visa which again will cost ?

·
Super Moderator
5,193 Posts
I think you'll be cutting it awfully close as far as your wife changing her name and notifying the UKBA about the change.

What I would do is count back 28 days from the expiry date of her current visa and look to get a premium appointment for that date. This should get you to sometime in mid-September.

I take it that your wife has changed her name in her passport. If you count forward 90 days from the issue date of her new passport, does it meet up with the 28 days before her visa expiry, or at least come close to meeting up? If it does cross each other on the calendar or at least comes close within a few days, you should be o.k.

While the guidance says that one has 90 days to notify the Home Office of any change(s) of name/address/circumstance or risk fines/prosecution, I think that in this case, a week or two won't hurt anything, especially given that she's looking to renew her visa just after the 90 day window. The argument could also be made that her new visa application is being made in the third month after she changed her name.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for fantastic reply. I guess the bracket falls just over 2 days.

She got passport issued on 09/06/2105 and 90 days end on 09/09/2015 and her visa is expirying on 10/10/2015. So 28 days before date falls on 11/09/2015. I hope they won't fine or prosecute.

Many thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.