Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading through previous posts to find some similar information so sorry if this has been touched upon in the past.

So I suppose my situation is a bit unique. I am Canadian and my partner is British. We are not married so we are planning on applying for FLR(M) as unmarried partners. We met while living in Australia and lived together in Australia for about 15 months until we decided to relocate to London.

I am now in the UK on a Tier 5 Youth Mobility visa which expires in May 2016. We also live together in London, however, prior to moving to the UK we spent 6 months travelling. We now have been in the UK for over 6 months so have over 2 years of "living together" if you count the travel period as well as meet the financial requirement of 6 months of pay slips/income as evidence of meeting the 18.6k annual salary.

So my question is - would this 6 months be considered as part of the co-habitation period to meet the 2 year requirement? We would have a travel itinerary with our all of our flights listed and corresponding visa entry stamps in our passports of evidence of actually entering those countries.

Otherwise, we could hold off on applying until we had 2 years of actually living together (15 months in Australia and 9 in the UK with a 6 month gap of travel). Would that travelling gap impact anything?

Also, would this case be considered straightforward enough to apply in person? I am travelling a lot this year and cannot afford to give up my passport so would prefer to apply in person. My understanding of straightforward means no visa overstays, criminal records, etc.

Many thanks in advance for any insights/thoughts!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Time spent travelling is not considered living together. You need to live together for a 2 year continuous period.
Thanks for the reply. I thought I had read somewhere that short gaps (up to 6 months) may be allowed?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.