Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My unmarried partner (sponsor; UK citizen) and I (applicant from USA) are just about to submit our FLR(M) application (I am currently on a Tier 4 visa) and I wanted to get some opinions regarding our cohabitation correspondence evidence. Thank you in advance for your input!

Because we received most of our bills digitally in the first year of living together and we moved in the second year and lost a lot of what we did have in the move, we are not able to stick strictly to the documents exactly every four months. Also, for one time period, we are having to use some alternative documents. To answer in advance, we have indeed ransacked the flat multiple times to find any good evidence for the missing time periods (i.e. I know ideally we would have May 2019 and January 2020 documents but we sadly don’t). It is so stressful knowing we have lived together for 2+ years but do not have the perfect documents to prove it and I have spent days trying to piece together what we do have to create the best group of correspondences to submit. I am planning to include a letter explaining the less-than-ideal evidence and lack of exact gaps between correspondences. Below, I've written out our two best options for proof of cohabitation and would really appreciate any input! For context, we have lived together from September 4th 2018 to now (October 3rd 2020).

Two Options for Cohabitation Evidence

Option 1 (More evenly spaced but less evidence)
Sep 4th 2018: Lease (JOINT)
Jan 21st 2019: Water Bill (JOINT)
April (24th) 2019: Registered Charity letter confirming Sponsor’s registration for Half Marathon (The Great North Run) (Sponsor)
April (26th): 2019: USA Government tax return cheque, includes date and applicant’s address (Applicant)
Aug 7th 2019: Current Lease (JOINT) → this and the following correspondence are only 1.5 months apart, which isn’t evenly spaced, but this prevents any gaps longer than 4.5 months
Sep (26) 2019: Council Tax (JOINT)
Feb 4 2020: NHS letter (Applicant)
Feb 5th: Bank statement (Sponsor)
May 1st 2020: Building Society letter (Sponsor), Bank Statement (Applicant)
Sep 29th 2020: Gas and Electric Bill (JOINT) → alternatively could do individual evidence from the 1st and 18th if it's better to have it earlier.

Option 2 (Less evenly spaced but more evidence, which might be beneficial considering our weak evidence for Jan-->Aug 2019)
Sep 4th 2018: Lease (JOINT)
Jan 21st 2019: Water Bill (JOINT)
April (24th) 2019: Registered Charity letter confirming Sponsor’s registration for Half Marathon (The Great North Run) (Sponsor)
April (26th): 2019: USA Government tax return cheque, includes date and address (Applicant)
August 7th 2019: Lease (JOINT)
Nov 27th 2019: Council tax (JOINT)
Feb 24th 2020: Water bill (JOINT)
May 1st 2020: Bank statement(Applicant) and Building Society (Sponsor)
August 27th 2020: Gas and Electric (Sponsor)
August 28th 2020: NHS letter (Applicant)
October 1st 2020: Bank Statement (Applicant) + Bank Statement (Applicant) ---> alternatively, we could do late September (29th) gas & electric bill (JOINT)

Additionally, I wanted to know if its better to have all the correspondence from within the two years or the evidence slightly surpassing the two year mark to ensure that they know for sure that we've been living together for at least two years. I have gotten mixed answers from reading other people's posts. Thank you SO much for your advice, it is very very appreciated!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think you want to try to space everything roughly 4 months apart. This means you are only missing one period around May 2019, but if you don’t have anything else official, then all you can do is submit what you have suggested, perhaps with a note to explain the reason.
Yes I think you need 2.5 years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you want to try to space everything roughly 4 months apart. This means you are only missing one period around May 2019, but if you don’t have anything else official, then all you can do is submit what you have suggested, perhaps with a note to explain the reason.
Yes I think you need 2.5 years.
Thank you for your input! The application says only 2 years of proof of cohabitation is needed, so I feel pretty confident that is the time period we need. I was just curious if it would be problematic to go slightly longer than the 2 years. As far as spacing everything every 4 months, we've tried our absolute best and are hoping that our late April 2019 documents can take the place of the May ones, with a note to justify our reason (as you mentioned).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts