Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have been with my spouse in a relationship since 2001. I am now at the point where I have to renew my spouse visa. This is exciting but at the same time scary. I hope some of you established members with a lot more experience than me can have a look at the below list of documents and tell me whether I am missing anything? OMG I am so stressed and worried of missing something important.

I have a few questions that I have inserted in the below list, primarily to do with my proof of cohabitation, and secondly whether to show communications, photos etc betweeen us during the time of residence in UK.

Also are the headings for the below sections okay?

I'd really appreciate your feedback! Thank you so much!

Section 1: Main Documents
  • Applicant’s current Australian passport
  • Proof of Visa Application Payment
  • Proof of Immigration Health Surcharge Payment Reference Number
  • Table of Contents
  • Visa application form FLR(M)
  • Letter of introduction by applicant
  • Sponsor’s current UK passport copy (every page including blank pages) - IS THIS COPY NEEDED?
  • Sponsor’s letter to support visa application
  • Applicant’s current Malaysian passport
  • Applicant’s two expired Malaysian passports
  • Applicant’s Current UK Biometric Residence Permit
  • Applicant’s passport photos x 2 - full name written on the back (small sealed envelope)
  • Sponsor’s passport photos x1 – full name written on the back (small sealed envelope)

Section 2a: Proof of Financial Eligibility – Category A

• Letter confirming applicant’s employment
  • Six months of payslips (original)
  • Six months of bank statements from HSBC (original)
Section 2b – Housing
  • Current tenancy agreement from 2019 for rental home (joint with applicant and sponsor)
  • Council tax for March 2020 (joint with applicant and sponsor)
Section 3: Proof of Cohabitation - ARE THESE FINE? I have tried to spread it out and use different sources, but there are a few joint HSBC ones.
  • June 2018 EDF gas bill (joint applicant and sponsor)
  • Oct-Nov 2018 HSBC statement (joint applicant and sponsor)
  • March 2019 Skipton letter (applicant), Kingston Council Tax notice (sponsor)
  • July 2019 HSBC statement (joint applicant and sponsor)
  • October 2019 – Sky broadband letter (applicant); Nov 2019 E.ON letter (sponsor)
  • March 2020 Sky broadband letter (applicant), NHS letter (sponsor)
  • July 2020 HSBC statement (joint applicant and sponsor)
  • Sept-Nov 2020 HSBC statement (joint applicant and sponsor)

Section 5: Proof of Genuine and Subsisting Relationship

• Malaysian marriage certificate (applicant and sponsor)
  • Certified translation of Malaysian marriage certificate
  • Malaysian Identity Cards as listed in marriage certificate (applicant and sponsor)
  • Certified translations of two Malaysian Identity Cards
  • Letter of support from applicant’s manager/magistrate
  • Letter of support from applicant and sponsor’s NHS GP friend
  • Photos of wedding and time spent together including 2018-2020 (applicant and sponsor)
CHECK IF REQUIRED - are the below needed to prove relationship over 2018-2020 ie the period of residence in UK?
  • Flight bookings from 2019 displaying international travel together (applicant and sponsor)
  • Sample email logs showing correspondence since 2001 (but focusing on 2018-2020)
  • Whatsapp call logs 2018-2020
  • Whatsapp chat screenshots from 2018-2020.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
It's way too much for a spouse visa extension. Here's what you definitely DON'T need to provide:
  • Table of Contents
  • Visa application form FLR(M)
  • Letter of introduction by applicant
  • Sponsor’s letter to support visa application
  • Applicant’s passport photos x 2 - full name written on the back (small sealed envelope)
  • Sponsor’s passport photos x1 – full name written on the back (small sealed envelope)
  • Malaysian Identity Cards as listed in marriage certificate (applicant and sponsor)
  • Certified translations of two Malaysian Identity Cards
  • Letter of support from applicant’s manager/magistrate
  • Letter of support from applicant and sponsor’s NHS GP friend
  • Photos of wedding and time spent together including 2018-2020 (applicant and sponsor)
  • All of the stuff you've listed in "Check if required"

You don't need any relationship evidence other than the cohabitation evidence in section 3 (which look fine). It's debatable that you even need to provide a marriage certificate, though I would recommend it (with translation). You should absolutely not provide any photos or chat history. You don't need any cover letters either. Your relationship has already been assessed as genuine, they're just checking to see that you've been living together at the same address. Yes, you do need the full copy of your spouse's UK passport. They haven't asked for passport photos in over 3 years, I'm not sure how you determined that these should be provided. They absolutely DO NOT want testimony from other people about your relationship (for any visa application, whether it's the initial spouse visa or extension), these letters are completely disregarded.

The rest looks OK, but you really should not provide more evidence than is asked for. Remember that ANYTHING you provide can be counted against you, and too much evidence can delay the decision.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Clever Octopus for your response. I will try and reduce some of the documentation as suggested. Is it really not necessary to even provide a letter of introduction by applicant and the sponsor?

I had a question about the best way of submitting the documents necessary. I understand that you can scan your own documents or have this done by staff at a physical appointment. Is one method more preferrable than others? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thank you Clever Octopus for your response. I will try and reduce some of the documentation as suggested. Is it really not necessary to even provide a letter of introduction by applicant and the sponsor?

I had a question about the best way of submitting the documents necessary. I understand that you can scan your own documents or have this done by staff at a physical appointment. Is one method more preferrable than others? Thanks in advance!
It's up to you. I have always scanned and uploaded it myself to save my time at the visa center. They only double checked if everything is uploaded correctly as per the checklist of documents. If you follow the guideline for uploading then its easy to upload it yourself and you can check all uploaded documents and have plenty of time before an appointment to sort it out

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's up to you. I have always scanned and uploaded it myself to save my time at the visa center. They only double checked if everything is uploaded correctly as per the checklist of documents. If you follow the guideline for uploading then its easy to upload it yourself and you can check all uploaded documents and have plenty of time before an appointment to sort it out
Thank you. Is there a cut off time after the application is done online, by when you need to upload the documents? i.e. in 24 or 48 hours etc?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thank you. Is there a cut off time after the application is done online, by when you need to upload the documents? i.e. in 24 or 48 hours etc?
You can upload documents straight after paying fees and submitting an application. you must upload your documents before your appointment date unless you have purchased the document scanning service and want them to upload for you. If your appointment is at an enhanced service point or Premium Lounge then document scanning is included in the appointment fee. If your appointment is at a core service point then you must purchase the document scanning service before your appointment if you cannot upload your documents.

·
Super Moderator
5,165 Posts
Is it really not necessary to even provide a letter of introduction by applicant and the sponsor?
Yes, it’s 100% not necessary for those letters.... those letters are to introduce the applicant to the Home Office at the initial point of application.

As Clever Octopus has stated, your relationship has been evaluated and considered genuine and subsisting and they gave you your initial visa. As such, they are aware of you (ie you don’t need to be reintroduced again) and are really just assessing that you’ve lived up to the terms and conditions of your visa (ie lived in the UK together for 2.5 years).

You will prove that you’ve lived together for the duration of your visa through the submission of the items of addressed post in your or your partner’s name. No other letter(s) of introduction or support (from others) are required and can stand to cause unnecessary delays in the processing of your application (there’s already more than enough required paperwork to be looked at without it being needlessly padded out with items not asked for or required).

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for your generous time and effort in responding to my questions borne of ignorance! :) I have now submitted my application and have been given an appointment on 19th January. I am just about to complete the upload of documents this week.

With the passports, I assume every single page of all passports need to be uploaded?
In terms of organising, where do we include the signed consent for utility/bank verification and sponsor's declaration? Can this go with the Section 1 main documents?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more question was: I have tried to spread out the correspondence documents over 2.5 years rather than the last 2 years stated in the guidance. Is this ok? Will they discard any correspondence which is more than the 2 year period ie June 2018 for instance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts