Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked through the forum and but haven't found answers to my questions. So here goes.

I have been in the UK for 3 years, 10 months as a Tier 4 student. My partner is British and we have lived together for 2 years, 2 months. I/we want to make an FLR (M) application in the near future. We're a bit concerned/confused about how they will calculate our income for Category B, due to our particular situation.

My partner's (salaried) annual income is currently £18,031. However, it will go up on 1 August over the £18,600 threshold due to scheduled pay rise. Thus I take it that we are Category B. He made no other money in the past 12 months besides this income. I made more than enough from non-salaried employment and other sources to make up the £569 shortfall, but I'm worried it won't count based on the wording of the guidance. So, here are my questions:

1. The bulk of my income (£13,863) was from an academic stipend that is ending 1 October, so it won't count toward the £18,600-in-the-past-12-months, right?
2. I won a quiz show prize of £2,000 5 months ago. Can that count toward the £569 shortfall?
3. I was employed in part-time, non-salaried, casual work in 2014, from which I earned £10,212.35 (according to my P60). Of this total, several thousand came within the past 12 months, but none of it was in the past 6 months. (I left the job to work on finishing up my PhD.) Does it really not count toward the £569 shortfall as it wasn't in the past 6 months?
4. Following on from that, I received a tax refund of £521.20 5 months ago, from the job mentioned in question 3. It came directly from my (former) employer in the form of a payroll payment as they had withheld too much of my earnings. Therefore I have a payslip and entry in my bank statement as a result (as opposed to a cheque from HMRC). Would this count toward the shortfall? It's less than £569, but as it came within the last 6 months, according to Financial Requirement Appendix (5.3.7, page 24), would it qualify for this calculation? (£521.20 / 6) x 12 = £1042.40? (If so, £18,031 + £1042.40 = £19,073.40, hurray!)

So then, do any of the above guarantee we meet the financial requirement (as of my partner's 1 August pay increase)? If not, we will have to delay several weeks. (Not the end of the world--just not great timing in respect to the final push to submit the PhD thesis.) I am starting a part-time, salaried job next week. I'll have made enough money to correct the shortfall within a couple of weeks, but of course I'll have to wait until I have the payslip and bank statement to demonstrate £18,600+ in the previous 12 months.

Thoughts very much welcome and appreciated!

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
#1 No, it won't count as it has to be payable for one year from date of application or at least an academic year.
#2 No. It isn't earned income. You can put towards savings but you need £16,000 minimum for it to count.
#3 It will count under Cat B alongside your partner's income if it was received in the 12 months prior to application.
#4 Not really, on its own.

Easiest is to submit your income from your job in the last 12 months under Cat B alongside your partner's, and submit his post-August pay details as being in a job that pays at least £18,600 (with new employment letter).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joppa, very helpful!

The Appendix wording had me thinking that, to prove we'd made £18,600+ in the past 12 months, it had to be based on what we'd made in the past 6 months.

Anyway, glad to not have to wait longer, then! :) Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.