Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Can someone show me/tell me how to prove adequate maintenance.

Firstly, which benefits and allowances can be used to prove adequate maintenance?

My wife and I have a baby and we are staying rent free and pay no council tax or mortgage.

Based on this information, what do I need to do to meet the requirement of adequate maintenance please?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
You can use all your benefits, allowances and tax credits. You need to have left per week, after paying rent/mortgage and council tax, 114.85 + 66.90 (for a child) + 17.45 (family premium) = £199.20.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You can use all your benefits, allowances and tax credits. You need to have left per week, after paying rent/mortgage and council tax, 114.85 + 66.90 (for a child) + 17.45 (family premium) = £199.20.
Great, thanks.

I know I meet the requirements easily. But just a quick question for confirmation, the 114.85 is based on Income Support (couples rate). I don't get Income Support. I get ESA. Do the figures, still apply to me?

Also as our baby is British, does she still get included (66.90)?

Can you please edit out the amounts I've posted in the first post. You can replace them with X's.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
It doesn't matter. Home Office uses the income support rates to work out eligibility for maintenance. You don't have to be receiving income support. Yes, every dependent child is included in the calculation for adequate maintenance.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't matter. Home Office uses the income support rates to work out eligibility for maintenance. You don't have to be receiving income support. Yes, every dependent child is included in the calculation for adequate maintenance.
Perfect. Thanks,

The fact that my ESA is worked out weekly on the award letter, it's paid fortnightly, this is also stated on the award letter. Will the Home Office understand this when I include it in my weekly total. I mean they won't say why have I added an amount that isn't paid to me weekly?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Yes, they are quite familiar with how payments are made. You will have to enclose the award letter and bank statement showing payment received.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yes, they are quite familiar with how payments are made. You will have to enclose the award letter and bank statement showing payment received.
Thanks!

Here's how I've done it, please let me know if it's fine or have I included too much or missed out anything?

ADEQUATE MAINTENANCE

The information provided below shows that my wife and our British born baby will be adequately maintained:

Weekly Income Source:

Income total: £350.09 per week.

Housing Costs:

Rent: £0
Council Tax: £0
Mortgage: £0

Housing total costs: £0

Weekly Income minus Housing costs: £350.09.

Weekly total Income Support required as per requirements: £114.85 for a couple + £66.90 for our baby (dependent) + £17.45 family premium = £199.20

This proves that we meet the adequate maintenance weekly requirement with ease, as our income total of £350.09 is greater than the required total of £199.20.

I have also included one bank statement showing the above mentioned benefits and allowances being paid to me. I have also included official award letters from the DWP and HM Revenue and Customs proving my entitlement.
Do you think I should mention that I don't receive the full DLA per week even though as part of it goes towards my car's payment.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's fine. No further explanations needed.
Thanks a lot, I was stuck on this for a while.

Please remove my quote in post 7 when you get a moment.

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
Thanks a lot, I was stuck on this for a while.

Please remove my quote in post 7 when you get a moment.
Hi. The post will remain. There is no sensitive information and it will be useful to others in a similar situation reading this thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.