Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Florida - comparable cost of living

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  twostep 
#1 ·
I am a teacher and have a potential offer of work at a good school in Tampa, Florida starting in January. Apart from details of visas and cost of move etc. I'm trying to get an idea of what it will cost me to live there: taxes - federal and local, utilities, rent etc. I have some idea of rents fro websites but are there hidden costs. I need a rough idea of what kind of percentage of my income am I likely to lose before the normal costs of food etc.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

#2 ·
I don't think Florida teachers earn enough to pay taxes! :)

The deductions from your paycheck might include:
Federal tax -- quick calculation here.
State tax -- no personal income tax in Florida. You have high property taxes instead!
City tax -- some cities tax, some don't! No idea about Florida but check to see on local website.
Social security/medicare -- 7.65% of gross pay
Health insurance -- ask your employer. Can vary widely.
Disability insurance -- usually voluntary
401k/403b pension contributions -- usually voluntary but employer matching makes them hard to ignore. Complicated if you aren't sure if you're staying.

#4 ·
i have lived in florida / miami /orlando... and had some friends living in tampa..

my question to you is - what is the salary they are offering you?

then i can give you my opinion......:plane:
Thanks Mexliving. there has not been a definate offer yet but we have talked about a ball park figure of 60k so that is what I'm working on at the moment to try to get an idea of percentage outgoings.

Thanks

#5 ·
Here are my five cents.

Is this a limited contract or will the school sponsor your GC (do not forget the current holding periods)? Have you considered your return move as far as household goods are concerned and a position in the UK. No, I do not want to rain on your parade but a 2-3 year gig does not last forever.

Rent/utilities/TV/internet - it depends on the area within Tampa. You can google "utilities" and use the zip code of your employer. city-data.com is also a good source of real-time information. Count on roughly 1/3 for taxes and deductions. 1/3 for housing. I hope you are not relying on public transportation - you will need a budget for care/insurance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.