Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having had torrential rain all night, I guess it was obvious that our river was gonna flood over the driveway, but we had to go out this morning to pick up my sons MRI results. We just managed to get the car thru the river altho it was about two feet deep. Anyway we went to Málaga, picked up his resluts, went to Mercadona and then went home. The river by this time was a good 3ft deep, about 12 feet wide and flowing very rapidly. We couldnt get the car thru it!

so we were flooded out! We decided to go to my friends Cafe and have a drink and a cake - well what else could we do??? We met "Sparkplug" a forum member there who has become a friend - and who has a very sturdy landrover. He came back with us to our driveway and somehow managed to tow our picasso thru the river!! So thankyou Sparkplug. Now of course, we're flooded in!!!!!!!

Jo xxxx

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not a problem!
Went back to the cafe and followed them home too - their river was deeper and faster flowing than the one I drowned mine in this morning! They decided to go the long way round after it swept the back of mine round when i reversed in to gauge the depth.....

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a problem!
Went back to the cafe and followed them home too - their river was deeper and faster flowing than the one I drowned mine in this morning! They decided to go the long way round after it swept the back of mine round when i reversed in to gauge the depth.....

Poor Kate! Us Brits really arent prepared for this sort of rain are we. We all want these beautiful villas in the campo, the views, up pretty little tracks..... We dont give a thought to what happens when it rains - really rains!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jo xxx

·
Registered
43 Posts
Poor Kate! Us Brits really arent prepared for this sort of rain are we. We all want these beautiful villas in the campo, the views, up pretty little tracks..... We dont give a thought to what happens when it rains - really rains!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jo xxx
they were all set for driving thru it till i showed them how fast it was going!

·
Registered
19,392 Posts
Having had torrential rain all night, I guess it was obvious that our river was gonna flood over the driveway, but we had to go out this morning to pick up my sons MRI results. We just managed to get the car thru the river altho it was about two feet deep. Anyway we went to Málaga, picked up his resluts, went to Mercadona and then went home. The river by this time was a good 3ft deep, about 12 feet wide and flowing very rapidly. We couldnt get the car thru it!

so we were flooded out! We decided to go to my friends Cafe and have a drink and a cake - well what else could we do??? We met "Sparkplug" a forum member there who has become a friend - and who has a very sturdy landrover. He came back with us to our driveway and somehow managed to tow our picasso thru the river!! So thankyou Sparkplug. Now of course, we're flooded in!!!!!!!

Jo xxxx
Jo, seriously, don't drive across a flooded road!
What would be a good idea would be to take a dated photo everytime it floods, and then take these photos to the town hall and house owner to see if any thing can be done.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jo, seriously, don't drive across a flooded road!
What would be a good idea would be to take a dated photo everytime it floods, and then take these photos to the town hall and house owner to see if any thing can be done.

Well after a night of more torrential rain, we aint going nowhere anytime soon! The river across our road this morning is about 20 ft wide, probably about 4 ft deep in the middle and is flowing very fast!!! I've taken some photos but I cant seem to post them on here - I'll have a go at putting them in my album later!!! I assume this rain sint just over our village and the rest of southern Spain must be suffering too?? Our TV/satellite is playing up so I cant see the news!!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've been in Spain (from the US) for one week today. It's been pretty much rain, rain, rain... Got a cold on Sunday, but slept all day yesterday - first real sleep since arriving - and have mostly beaten the cold. But every time I'd wake, the sound rain just got louder. Now the steps outside this b&b are a waterfall, and just like you, the ford out of here is awash. There is a (fantastic) footbridge however - we can, I'm told, wak over the footbridge then back to a car kept on the other side of the river if we need to be out & about. But where to go in all this rain? Sounds like everyone's in the same boat. Glad I'm planning on a six-week stay because, had it just been for this week, I'm afraid it would have been a bust. (a wash?)

Jo xxxx

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
My husbands cousin was drowned when crossing a ford near his home in North Yorkshire which he had crossed many times before. This time he misjudged how deep the water was that was rushing over the ford and his car was swept downstream and he lost his life.

So people PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be very careful about crossing flooded streams.

Veronic

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Unfortunately jo, you've got it all day today as well. I saw the weather on La 1 this morning and Malaga appears to have drowned! The whole coast down & into Portugal is the same, & tomorrow as well. we have cloud and some drizzle here at mo, but it rained yesterday & a bit last Sat. afternoon. Which is unusual for here, must be this 'global warming'. lol.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My husbands cousin was drowned when crossing a ford near his home in North Yorkshire which he had crossed many times before. This time he misjudged how deep the water was that was rushing over the ford and his car was swept downstream and he lost his life.

So people PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be very careful about crossing flooded streams.

Veronic
Thanks for your warning s. Dont worry, I'm too much of a baby to even try - certainly while its like this - we're stocked up with necessities. My nieghbour is supposed to be flying to England later - hhhmmm!!?? and my OH is also supposed to flying back there tonight?!??

Jo xxx

·
Registered
843 Posts
Spare a thought for the rescued pets at PAD shelter. It floods down there on a regular basis. If you have any unwanted dry towels or blankets to donate, I know they would be appreciated. I'm sure other animal shelters along the coast will be in a similar boat (excuse the pun!)

The weather forecast I saw said rain all this week, dry Saturday, then rain all next week!

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
we actually have sunshine at the moment - I think its gonna be short lived cos there are some nasty looking clouds around!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Now of course, we're flooded in!!!!!!!
Jo xxxx
Glad you're OK - just seen the news and logged into to check

I got half way to work and found the road shut with snow.

·
Administrator
36,516 Posts
I was watching people on the tele being helicoptered out of their houses earlier - reminded me of here in Oct 2007!:eek:

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was watching people on the tele being helicoptered out of their houses earlier - reminded me of here in Oct 2007!:eek:

My friend lives just up on the hill by some houses where a couple of helicopters are rescuing people. She says she hasnt seen it this bad for 6 years!? She's trapped in her house too - cant go to work, cant get her kids to school..... It seems we're all having a bit of a drama around here today

Jo xxx

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.