Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi Guys,

We have booked our flights to Brisbane on the 6th December, yay!! Decided i have done enough thinking and needed to take some positive action. Start midwifery post on the 11th Jan, so hopefully we will have time to settle a little before i start. House still not sold but we are hoping for a sale between now and when we go, but have also decided to get the letting agents in next week, to discuss renting out. Did have an offer today but it was 50k below the asking price :- not quite that desperate at the moment!!! Feeling relieved at booking but also have felt a bit panicky when i think of leaving my mum...is this normal at this stage?? Its kind of took me by surprise:eek: other than that can't wait to be going and am looking forward to it, can't believe its neally here.

I can feel lots of questions coming on!!!!! ellisax:D

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Yup, all pretty normal (including the Mum bit). Wouldn't matter if you moved cities or moved countries. It's just the fact that you won't be close anymore.

I hope you have your accommodation in AU sorted out. December is a real 'sleepy' time for people to get things done.

Hi Guys,

We have booked our flights to Brisbane on the 6th December, yay!! Decided i have done enough thinking and needed to take some positive action. Start midwifery post on the 11th Jan, so hopefully we will have time to settle a little before i start. House still not sold but we are hoping for a sale between now and when we go, but have also decided to get the letting agents in next week, to discuss renting out. Did have an offer today but it was 50k below the asking price :- not quite that desperate at the moment!!! Feeling relieved at booking but also have felt a bit panicky when i think of leaving my mum...is this normal at this stage?? Its kind of took me by surprise:eek: other than that can't wait to be going and am looking forward to it, can't believe its neally here.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i have that same concern - leaving my mom behind. she'll be popping by for the year-end holidays, though. and once i've settled in, she'll make her way to aussie (got her as a dependant on my visa). so she's allowed to go in anytime before 2011.

for the past 2 weeks, she's been asking me if i'm sure i wanna make the move.. it's just so sad cos i'm missing her already too! =(

·
Registered
59 Posts
We've been planning the mvoe to Australia for a long while now and only just yesterday my wife asked me if we really want to take our son away from the support network that is our wider family in Scotland. My answer to this was yes but in a way that we're not actually taking him away from the family but that we're focussed on trying to build a better life for our own family - extended family will always be there in my eyes and with modern technology and the world becomign a smaller place it may feel like we'll see them even more (just won't have the closeness of being with them so much).

In saying that, I must admit that she did strike a cord with me............. not enough to change my mind though.

Hi Guys,

·
Registered
104 Posts
we,re moving too!!

we are flying on the 18th of this month to Dubai short stay of 2 weeks there and then to Melbourne!!! nevous and excited, have to find temp place to stay in mel so we can look for apartment. Then i have to look for job while my wife starts uni. So much to do so little time!! what to pack what to buy!! my head is in a spin hehe!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, all pretty normal (including the Mum bit). Wouldn't matter if you moved cities or moved countries. It's just the fact that you won't be close anymore.

I hope you have your accommodation in AU sorted out. December is a real 'sleepy' time for people to get things done.
Hi amaslam

I am looking at the moment for accomodation and was thinking of booking a hotel for a couple of nights and trying to secure a rental before we go, do you think thats possible? or would you advise otherwise.

Thanks ellisa:confused2:

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
You'll need to do the hotel bit (or hostels). It's very difficult to secure rentals beforehand as the agents are not generally open to it. Also rental availability is low (<3% I believe) so there are plenty of 'renters' but not all that many rentals.

You can start doing a search on realestate.com.au and then contact the agents to see if they're open to renting before you are in country.

Hi amaslam

I am looking at the moment for accomodation and was thinking of booking a hotel for a couple of nights and trying to secure a rental before we go, do you think thats possible? or would you advise otherwise.

Thanks ellisa:confused2:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi ellisa,
Give Business and Economy Real Estate Resources - Professional Services or www.aussieholidayhomes.com.au and Stayz Holiday Accommodation – 20,000+ Holiday Rentals across Australia a go. Would like to offer some personal advice from people that have stayed with us is that firstly they look to book short term accommodation for 2 to 4 weeks, this will then enable you to have a look around different areas, suburbs etc then book longer term rental in the area you feel comfortable with.
Another useful website is ourbrisbane.com | Guide for Brisbane events, dining, real estate, TV, travel, hotels + more which will help with suburbs, education, employment etc
Good luck with your search

1 - 8 of 8 Posts