Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just been reading another forum and was wondering are flies as much of a problem as the poster suggested ..............also what areas are worst affected.

I will be moving from the Dominican republic where we only have the occassional fly, but ive been to australia where they were a real problem .

So whats the fly situation in andalucia

·
Administrator
35,890 Posts
just been reading another forum and was wondering are flies as much of a problem as the poster suggested ..............also what areas are worst affected.

I will be moving from the Dominican republic where we only have the occassional fly, but ive been to australia where they were a real problem .

don't know about Andalucia - but we've been plagued in Javea the past week or two:mad:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts

They seem to be annoying at certain times of the year but only for short periods - about a week or two. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Also remember that Andalucia is very big - you could well have different fly problems in different areas - e.g. coast/mountains.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ah - only a couple of weeks , the way some brits complain about everything I was led to beleive it was the majority of the time.

Seems the nature of a message board to frighten people and focus on the bad

too many flies , too hot in summer , too cold in winter, cant buy stuff you want etc
lol- Im suprised anyone lives there, you would say the same reading a dominican republic forum lol...too many murders

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Here it's usually an utter nightmare, although this year has been a lot better. Perhaps it was something to do with an increase in the wasps. If so I'll book more wasps for next year. Early spring & autumn are the worst here. If you're working outside , the more you sweat the worse it becomes , + they bite or stab you with their probe. No it's not good at all here. :eek:

·
Registered
15,407 Posts
As Jimenato says, this really depends where you are. There is a thread on here somewhere about mosquitos, if you do a search you should find it.

We get very few flies, mosquitos or wasps where I am, up in the hills; the occasional swarm of flying ants but only for a couple of days. This is probably because it is quite windy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we get plagues of termites here after rain - the house gets full of the wings that drop off,so im fairly used to plagues lol and mosquitos, but flies can be more annoying

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
ah - only a couple of weeks , the way some brits complain about everything I was led to beleive it was the majority of the time.

Seems the nature of a message board to frighten people and focus on the bad

too many flies , too hot in summer , too cold in winter, cant buy stuff you want etc
lol- Im suprised anyone lives there, you would say the same reading a dominican republic forum lol...too many murders
We're just into Murcia from Andalucia & I can assure you we are plagued with them from feb/ march until early dec. The best defence is to be in the sun & sky high temps, both of which they don't appear to like but if you step into the shade you're engulfed. Even going in the pool will result in swarms descending on you. You can't actually sit outside at all except dec. to feb. If you want to get in the car you have to wave your arms about while you open the doors & jump in & try to keep them out whilst you shut the door , because they are all over the vehicle.

·
Registered
15,407 Posts
We're just into Murcia from Andalucia & I can assure you we are plagued with them from feb/ march until early dec. The best defence is to be in the sun & sky high temps, both of which they don't appear to like but if you step into the shade you're engulfed. Even going in the pool will result in swarms descending on you. You can't actually sit outside at all except dec. to feb. If you want to get in the car you have to wave your arms about while you open the doors & jump in & try to keep them out whilst you shut the door , because they are all over the vehicle.
Good grief, that sounds like a total nightmare! Forgive me for asking a silly question, but why did you move there? Did nobody warn you???

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Good grief, that sounds like a total nightmare! Forgive me for asking a silly question, but why did you move there? Did nobody warn you???
Didn't really notice them at the time , even though we looked at the place at least 6x. It wasn't 'tll I came over on the august bank holiday & was talking withe the neighbours son who said that the only thing he didn't like about living here was the heat & the flies.:eek:
I've just been out to feed the 3 dogs & as the little one likes to wander off whilst eating I stay there to stop the big one from stealing his food when she's finished hers. They eat in a small north facing alcove, not a fly in it , after 2 mins there's dozens . It's not the food either as I painted the ceiling in there yesterday & started with no flies & was inundated in no time. I have to resort to spraying the whole area with fly spray & that gets rid of them for 10mins & carry on like that.
What I want to know is, how do they know when you have both hands full & then they go straight in your ear ? :confused2:

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Wretched things!!! At least they're a little dopey at this time of the year so they're easier to swat! Definitely more wasps this year too!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
My daughter can have a problem with fruit flies.. she is surrounded by grape vines and fruit trees but in all honesty it is really only for a couple of weeks and there is never swarms of them despite having 3 dogs, 3 cats, 3 goats, 6 chickens, 3 hamsters and 3 children wandering all over the place. It is also very therapeutic to have one of those battery operated tennis rackets that zap the little blighter's.. great exercise too lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
we have a company here that sprays the garden area when mozzies get too bad, it lasts about two weeks, but worth it if its only short periods that are bad ,.....is there anything similar in spain .........its like back strap device that blows out chemicals(probably more dangerous than the mozzieslol) but it keeps you bite free

another method invite a freind that gets bitten a lot, they home in on them and leave you alone lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.