Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just a few things on my mind I wondered if people could help me with.

1) Would it be unreasonable / not accepted if I requested a flat to be repainted or to have any obvious issues repaired before moving in? What is the practice with landlords or agents in this regard?

2) What is the scope for decorating the flat myself? Can I hang pictures, put up blackout blinds (if there aren't any already) etc as long as I put things right at the end?

3) What sort of wiggle room is there on price? I'm not sure what the haggling culture is. Is there scope for bringing the rent down, or are places normally taken 'as advertised'?

4) How quickly can I get my internet up and running (assuming I have the required residence permits, etc)?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hi all,

Just a few things on my mind I wondered if people could help me with.

1) Would it be unreasonable / not accepted if I requested a flat to be repainted or to have any obvious issues repaired before moving in? What is the practice with landlords or agents in this regard?

2) What is the scope for decorating the flat myself? Can I hang pictures, put up blackout blinds (if there aren't any already) etc as long as I put things right at the end?

3) What sort of wiggle room is there on price? I'm not sure what the haggling culture is. Is there scope for bringing the rent down, or are places normally taken 'as advertised'?

4) How quickly can I get my internet up and running (assuming I have the required residence permits, etc)?

Thanks in advance!
1: I did it, depends on owner/landlord/agent. I had stuff fixed and changed etc.
2: You can but as above depends on owner/landlord/agent
3: Again as above depends on owner/landlord/agent.
4: As soon as I got my place I went to DU and it was up and running in a week.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
1 - As there's numerious, competing agents on one property take it they're let as seen. If the landlord isn't bothered with the condition, then the agent won't be as any improvements benefit his rivals too. Of course they'll tell you absolutely anything to get your deposit (beware of that) but at best an agent might pay a labourer 50 AED to smear a tin of gloss he found on some wasteland over the walls.

2 - If an apartment is in relatively good condition then chances are they'll want everything returned to how you found it - curtain rails down holes filled in etc. If it's a bit of a tip they may try it on anyway. Dubai is generally a bit notorious for unreturned deposits.

3 - Start at 10%-15% less but try to get a feel for other places in the building. Some will be grossly overflated and some landlords are stubborn and won't move an dirham. The main thing to ask is are you happy with the apartment and can you afford it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

That's really helpful. Re: negotiating price, I was more asking from the prospective of "is it worth looking at flats slightly above my budget and try and negotiate them down" or will I be disappointed?

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
In general you'll be disappointed.

You'll find less first hand stories about people getting a discount than people who are told 'take it or leave it'.

You have to remember that the agent is on a % commission so its not in their interest to get you a discount.

It does no harm to try, but set your expectations lower than your hopes IMO.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
In general you'll be disappointed.

You'll find less first hand stories about people getting a discount than people who are told 'take it or leave it'.

You have to remember that the agent is on a % commission so its not in their interest to get you a discount.

It does no harm to try, but set your expectations lower than your hopes IMO.
Hi,
It is easy to win over the agent - just let them know you will pay them the same amount of commission that they would get at full rent level - plus an extra 1000 AED for every 10,000 they get off the price.
They will then be "working" in your best interest - to get the rent level you want.
Just tell this to each agent - most will bite - one will probably be successful.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hi,
It is easy to win over the agent - just let them know you will pay them the same amount of commission that they would get at full rent level - plus an extra 1000 AED for every 10,000 they get off the price.
They will then be "working" in your best interest - to get the rent level you want.
Just tell this to each agent - most will bite - one will probably be successful.
Cheers
Steve
For almost every apartment that is handled by more than one agent, I've managed to get slightly lower price with standard "the other guy is asking for less than what you are". They don't have a clue how much the other agent asked, but will do their best to get their commission.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Rents are softening and show every indication of falling a bit further. I'd go for 10% off and see if they bite. There must be landlords concerned about falling rents and getting a tenant now rather than a month later. Lots of people leave at this time of year.

This won't apply to all landlords. There are too many who are content to let a flat sit empty for months, even a year, before budging on the rent. I remember looking at an apartment in the Greens that had been empty for six months and the asking rent was higher than comparable flats in the building but the landlord still refused to accept a lower offer in line with the other apartments available.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hi,
Cheers
Steve
Is this broadly tested and confirmed as successful? It would be great if agents would do some negotiations with the landlord without having to think of their commission. I would be prepared to pay them for that in exchange of cheaper rent! But then again, it would just be an incentive for them to advertise with higher rents...

I think there could be some room of negotiation on some flats. If you keep an eye on the ads you'll soon realise which ones are difficult to "shift" and they might be willing to lower their rent expectations.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Is this broadly tested and confirmed as successful? It would be great if agents would do some negotiations with the landlord without having to think of their commission. I would be prepared to pay them for that in exchange of cheaper rent! But then again, it would just be an incentive for them to advertise with higher rents...

I think there could be some room of negotiation on some flats. If you keep an eye on the ads you'll soon realise which ones are difficult to "shift" and they might be willing to lower their rent expectations.

Ive done exactly what SteveSolar suggested and I can confirm it works, have to give the agent an incentive to make them work for you...a potential lower comm isn't one of them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Excellent suggestion - I will give that a try.

While I'm on the subject, how quickly to flats move?

My experience when I first moved to London was that it was only worth looking at places that had been put on the market within the last week. Anything older usually meant there was a problem. This led to needing to make pretty much 'on the spot' decisions about whether I would take the flat.

Is this broadly the same in Dubai? If I see something nice, should I assume it won't be there tomorrow?

Ta!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Usually you need to make a fairly quick decision if the flat is nice and you want it. The flats that aren't desirable or have too high rent get re-advertised.

Make sure you're dealing with a RERA registered agent and that you do everything by the book. There are some scammers around so do not handy over any money or cheques before you know all is legit.

Here are some guides in case you haven't seen them.

Renting in Dubai: what you need to know | GulfNews.com

Need to know: Renting in Dubai | Financial Planning in the UAE

Know your Dubai renters' rights - Around Town Features - TimeOutDubai.com

UAE tenants' rights in the spotlight - ArabianBusiness.com

Know your rental rights as a Dubai tenant - Souqalmal Blog

1 - 12 of 12 Posts