Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am applying for a position that if i am given I get a fixed term contract ( i believe it is a CDD). My current visa expires on july 20th but if i get this job can i immediately go to the prefecture and apply for cart de sejour or still have to go home and apply for a new visa?

thanks
Conor

·
Administrator
50,428 Posts
Depends on what kind of visa you are currently on. If it's a work based visa, your employer-to-be would still have to get work authorization for you (most work visas are only good for the employer who sponsored them originally). If you're on a student visa, then to renew your carte de séjour you have to show that you are still enrolled in school (and then the work contract falls within your work allowance as a student -i.e. limited number of hours and doesn't interfere with your classes). But as a student, the key thing is that you are enrolled in some study program.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so if i get the job, the employer will have to get authorization no matter what, so it might be better to back to the usa and apply for a work visa instead?

·
Administrator
50,428 Posts
If you aren't able to renew the visa/titre de séjour you already have (i.e. you were a student, but are no longer) then yes, you'll have to go back home pending a new visa for the correct status. I'm not sure what the criteria are for an employer to get work authorization for a CDD position. This is the info for the employer: L'embauche d'un étranger

But generally speaking, the employer has to be able to show that they have attempted to find a suitable candidate locally for some period of time. When you apply for the job, the employer should ask to see that you have "work papers" (especially when they note that you are a foreigner). Otherwise, if the employer notes that you are a foreigner and you say nothing about your work status here in France, they will most likely simply ignore your candidature altogether.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts