Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

We will soon be moving to London. We would like to set up a tiny gym at our place (limited budget)
1) treadmill
2) bench press set
3) dumbbells set
4) free weights and barbells
5) cross trainer if possible

I have checked online stores and have a fair idea how I want to do it. I would like to check with you to see if you may have some recommendations on popular brands in the UK (is precor the best in UK as well?) do gyms have "used machine sales" (pretty common where I come from)

Accomodation-wise we are looking at renting a terraced house in greenwich. Do owners agree to tenants having a tiny gym setup at their places?

I look forward to your comments!
Thanks

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would not shy away from asking gym chains directly if they have ocassional sales of used equipment, otherwise you would have to go online ot to Ebay.

Owners (called landlords over here) can be very picky, as a rule of thumb you can't modify the property at all (making holes in the wall, fix things with screws, etc) , some landlords even object to puting nails to hang pictures (and they will claim part of your deposit to repair the "damage").

Back to your gym equipment, you should get no objection (actually you won't need to even mention it) for free standing equipment, but if you want to install something that needs to be fixed to a wall, or worst, the ceiling, then you would certainly need to talk to your potential landlord about it.

·
Super Moderator
18,088 Posts
Hi All

We will soon be moving to London. We would like to set up a tiny gym at our place (limited budget)
1) treadmill
2) bench press set
3) dumbbells set
4) free weights and barbells
5) cross trainer if possible

I have checked online stores and have a fair idea how I want to do it. I would like to check with you to see if you may have some recommendations on popular brands in the UK (is precor the best in UK as well?) do gyms have "used machine sales" (pretty common where I come from)

Accomodation-wise we are looking at renting a terraced house in greenwich. Do owners agree to tenants having a tiny gym setup at their places?

I look forward to your comments!
Thanks
London flats tend to be on the small side and even a terraced house is going to have small rooms so that sounds like quite an ambitious set up. Plus, you are probably talking a Victorian house (150ish years old) that might not have floors that can support the weight of professional gym equipment. It would be wise to check with the landlord when you find places that you like to avoid problems and having to pay for any potential damage that heavy weights and machines may cause.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Jlms and nyclon,

Thanks for your comments. We are probably gonna go for a treadmill and maybe barbells etc. Then slowly add to it as and when we can accommodate it in our budget and in the house.

Any ideas on what are the popular home treadmill brands in UK? I checked online and there are Nordic / reebok etc for around 500 £ precor home is about 1200£ (on the higher side of our budget)

Any recommendations on other brands would be appreciated as well!

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
39,148 Posts
Hi Jlms and nyclon,

Thanks for your comments. We are probably gonna go for a treadmill and maybe barbells etc. Then slowly add to it as and when we can accommodate it in our budget and in the house.

Any ideas on what are the popular home treadmill brands in UK? I checked online and there are Nordic / reebok etc for around 500 £ precor home is about 1200£ (on the higher side of our budget)

Any recommendations on other brands would be appreciated as well!
You may find gym membership will turn out to be a better solution. Shifting heavy equipment when it comes to moving is a real bind and may restrict your choice of properties in the future. In any case don't do anything until you have assessed the local situation and your future plans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.