Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would be coming first time to Australia on 180 Visa (PR) with my husband and kids. I will just validate the visa and go back in few days. What is needed/recommended to be done in these 4 days? Should I go and register in any office?

I will come back to live in Australia after few months.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would be coming first time to Australia on 180 Visa (PR) with my husband and kids. I will just validate the visa and go back in few days. What is needed/recommended to be done in these 4 days? Should I go and register in any office?

Hello,

My suggestion regarding things to do would be as follows:

Open a Bank account
Register with centerlink
Enroll for Medicare
Register for TFN

Probably scout and explore for good localities in the city you prefer to settle down.
If you search on the forum you will find a lot of useful information.

Which city are you visiting?

Best regards, Ga.

·
Registered
112 Posts

I am in a similar situation-boat. My wife and daughter will follow me to Australia and they will return back to India after 4 days after the Visa is validated.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Hello, My suggestion regarding things to do would be as follows: Open a Bank account Register with centerlink Enroll for Medicare Register for TFN Probably scout and explore for good localities in the city you prefer to settle down. If you search on the forum you will find a lot of useful information. Which city are you visiting? Best regards, Ga.
You cannot register for Medicare unless you are living in Australia. As for Centrelink, you cannot obtain any benefits unless you have lived in Australia for at least two years. Finally the TFN cannot be sent to you while you are overseas and is only needed if you are planning to work in Australia.

You do not need to do anything on a validation trip. Treat it as though you're on holiday but spend some time exploring areas you might want to eventually live in.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You cannot register for Medicare unless you are living in Australia. As for Centrelink, you cannot obtain any benefits unless you have lived in Australia for at least two years. Finally the TFN cannot be sent to you while you are overseas and is only needed if you are planning to work in Australia.

You do not need to do anything on a validation trip. Treat it as though you're on holiday but spend some time exploring areas you might want to eventually live in.
We just moved into brisbane after the v-trip in april. what we did was

1. got prepaid sims with international roaming.
2. started a SB account with NAB
3. Registered with medicare and centre link ( this can be done in 1 day) unlike what OZbound mentioned. You need an address thats it. we used our friends address
4. Completed the TFN registration mygov centre which is near CBD
5. Met loads of linked in coordinates, made notes of the cultures, FAQ's related to interviews
6. Fixed appointments with recruiters, shared our CV

My advise is take your V trip seriously and create as much as contacts possible and meet them in real. First connect with them via linked in and propose a coffee meeting. Their inputs are very valid. My wife has got job because of the exposure.

Ensure that ur new sim switched on and in roaming when you in india. Vodafone has some good offers for $ 30.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
We just moved into brisbane after the v-trip in april. what we did was 1. got prepaid sims with international roaming. 2. started a SB account with NAB 3. Registered with medicare and centre link ( this can be done in 1 day) unlike what OZbound mentioned. You need an address thats it. we used our friends address 4. Completed the TFN registration mygov centre which is near CBD 5. Met loads of linked in coordinates, made notes of the cultures, FAQ's related to interviews 6. Fixed appointments with recruiters, shared our CV My advise is take your V trip seriously and create as much as contacts possible and meet them in real. First connect with them via linked in and propose a coffee meeting. Their inputs are very valid. My wife has got job because of the exposure. Ensure that ur new sim switched on and in roaming when you in india. Vodafone has some good offers for $ 30.

So you broke the law. Good work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all, for valuable input.
I am coming to Melbourne.
Is there anything like a resident card or PR card for my 189 Visa that I will get? Any govt identification?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Meeting recruiters

Hi Viju,
You mentioned that you had few appointments with recruiters. I notice that most recruiters are in Sydney. So did you just focus on recruiters based in Brisbane or you fly over to Sydney to meet them?

Thanks,
Carmen

We just moved into brisbane after the v-trip in april. what we did was

1. got prepaid sims with international roaming.
2. started a SB account with NAB
3. Registered with medicare and centre link ( this can be done in 1 day) unlike what OZbound mentioned. You need an address thats it. we used our friends address
4. Completed the TFN registration mygov centre which is near CBD
5. Met loads of linked in coordinates, made notes of the cultures, FAQ's related to interviews
6. Fixed appointments with recruiters, shared our CV

My advise is take your V trip seriously and create as much as contacts possible and meet them in real. First connect with them via linked in and propose a coffee meeting. Their inputs are very valid. My wife has got job because of the exposure.

Ensure that ur new sim switched on and in roaming when you in india. Vodafone has some good offers for $ 30.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
There is no Resident or PR Card in Australia for PR holders. Driver Licence or Photo Card is used as Identity.

Girl Aussie

Thanks all, for valuable input.
I am coming to Melbourne.
Is there anything like a resident card or PR card for my 189 Visa that I will get? Any govt identification?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts