Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Firstly this is a really useful site! I'm still having a mooch around all the stickies :ranger:

but just want to ask a few - hopefully not stupid questions;

We are in the very first stages of our move as in we have just decided to go for it The plan is to sell our house and go over to Australia with an appropriate amount of savings - we will wait till we have our target. We will rent until we know where we would like to buy and will hopefully by then be fine to get a mortgage.

We've never been to Australia before :)o please dont think we are crazy to move somewhere we've never been!) but I am research lady at the moment and would never take a decision like this lightly....its took 3 years since the first thought of it before deciding that its a possibility!

We've decided on Brisbane and the places we have been looking at is around the Eastern part - it seems to have some nice places for young families - Me and the other half are mid 20's and we have a 4 year old and a 1 year old.

Ok enough about me - here's the questions.

1st - To anyone who moved with children, how did they settle in. My kids are my main priority and I would hate to open them up for possible teasing because they are not Australian, is this a silly worry?

2nd - Has anyone imported their car over there? I'm planning on taking mine and I'm just wondering what processes I need to do also will I have to re-register it to get a australian licence plate - confused :confused2:

3rd - Medication - I have asthma - its not bad but do they do inhalers over there?

4th - Childcare - can anyone give rough costs of childcare costs out there?

5th - Flying with young children - whats best airlines for space etc....those who have done it what tips can you give us? is it best to just go straight with one stop off or make loads of stops? Think this is what I'm most worried about I don't want my children to be uncomfortable, stressed etc

thats enough from me I reckon. Although any advice on lovely family towns will be extremely appreciated.

I'm actually very nervous and just want to prepare as much as I can to hopefully keep stress levels low

Thank you in advance for reading this mammoth post I really appreciate any/all advice given and will probably drive you all mad with questions in the next 12-18 months (sorry!)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, it's just that trying to plan your life in Australia is quite stressful as you have seen. Qualifying for, applying and waiting for a visa is double that amount of stress so it would usually be wise to worry about one thing at a time instead of jumping ahead of yourself causing yourself unnecessary stress.

What is it you or your partner do? Do your occupations & experience qualify for an independent visas or would you be looking for sponsorship?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi just moved over myself with our 3 children who are 8, 3 and 1. They have taken everything in their stride. My oldest has settled great in school which is a great feat as he's on the autistic spectrum but he's made friends to the point that he's out every weekend playing and came home yesterday with a certificate for swimming 25m.......previously would not even let water touch hos head!!!
The youngest 2 have been spool easy to settle its unreal. They have become a dab hand at Skype too, my 3 year old calls her nan, grandfather etc all on her own!
We flew with Eva air who were fab. The plane was an air bus so plenty of room and we had 2 stop overs. Kids were great, I was sick as a dog but I have never flown before so probably why lol
We packed all sorts in our hand luggage, games consoles, loaded films on laptops etc but found we didn't need them as the inflight entertainment was excellent as was the food, taste and frequency! My 3 year old thought ghe fact she had her own little luggage trolley to take on flight was the bomb and her more than my boys loved flying, people looked at her simple when she was laughing during turbulence!!!
I live south of brisbane on the gold coast and people here seen real friendly so I don't think teasing will be a problem. You get the odd adult making a friendly joke, for example I'm welsh and have a thick valleys accent, a delivery guy heard it and greeted me with a ' what's occuring' and proceeded to bombaed me with all things Gavin and Stacy lol
I wouldn't ship your car, all the taxes you pay plus shipping costs could run to 5k up just not worth it.
On the whole its a great life, or so I'm finding but ad shel says your major concern is your visa which depending on type could take I believe upto 18 months to get? Anyway good luck

·
Registered
124 Posts
nonny1983 said:
Hi just moved over myself with our 3 children who are 8, 3 and 1. They have taken everything in their stride. My oldest has settled great in school which is a great feat as he's on the autistic spectrum but he's made friends to the point that he's out every weekend playing and came home yesterday with a certificate for swimming 25m.......previously would not even let water touch hos head!!!
The youngest 2 have been spool easy to settle its unreal. They have become a dab hand at Skype too, my 3 year old calls her nan, grandfather etc all on her own!
We flew with Eva air who were fab. The plane was an air bus so plenty of room and we had 2 stop overs. Kids were great, I was sick as a dog but I have never flown before so probably why lol
We packed all sorts in our hand luggage, games consoles, loaded films on laptops etc but found we didn't need them as the inflight entertainment was excellent as was the food, taste and frequency! My 3 year old thought ghe fact she had her own little luggage trolley to take on flight was the bomb and her more than my boys loved flying, people looked at her simple when she was laughing during turbulence!!!
I live south of brisbane on the gold coast and people here seen real friendly so I don't think teasing will be a problem. You get the odd adult making a friendly joke, for example I'm welsh and have a thick valleys accent, a delivery guy heard it and greeted me with a ' what's occuring' and proceeded to bombaed me with all things Gavin and Stacy lol
I wouldn't ship your car, all the taxes you pay plus shipping costs could run to 5k up just not worth it.
On the whole its a great life, or so I'm finding but ad shel says your major concern is your visa which depending on type could take I believe upto 18 months to get? Anyway good luck
I'm getting so excited reading these forums for our new life:) we've just logged our 176wa ss visa with diac my children are 14 & 11

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.