Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My name is fiona and this is the my first time on this site... I was reading through some of your threads and then had to register to post u a message and then I just read that u came back. Good on u for going and good on u for coming back if u didnt like it. My husband is also a fabricator with a company in dublin he is on a
3 day week. We have 2 children jack 6 and isabelle 18mts. My husbands sister is married to an australian and lives in sydney and my husband has wanted to move there 4 years. Life here at the moment is very bad for us we r living from day to day. I really feel there is something better for us somewere else. We were hoping just go for a year rent out our house and see if we like it first. If u dont mind me asking as this is my first day on the net researching this. How did u go about getting your visa and what r the costs involved? Did your husband find work ok? and what were the wages like?

Thanking you in advance for your help.

kind regards
fiona

well we are in Australia now for 7 months its been a great journey, but although I don't hate Australia I miss my family and home to much.

we are struggling here as well, but we will struggle at home , difference is we will have family around to moan at :D

Australia just does not feel right if that makes sense, I knew from the minute we landed it was not right and tried to fight those feelings, but they just got stronger and harder to ignore. I know some will say we haven't gave it long enough and may be their right, only I have found it so hard to settle and with our tickets booked Im finally enjoying my self. i feel me again .

is any one else struggling here....

it is hard work here and the list of cons out weigh the pros.

I will miss my very good friends Ive made here, (you know who you are) I know though ill see them again, Ill miss the sea and the wildlife , not the creepy crawlies.
I will miss the plaza and shopping :D

I wont miss being looked at like a mad woman when i say something ! Irish accent they dont understand me half the time and its not even that strong. :D

I wont miss so called friends who tried to rob us blind:mad:
I wont miss this unbearable heat

I will be back to see more of oz but not to live long term but for now as hard as it is to start over again im happy to be going home.

This is just how i feel, just thought Ild share in case any one is feeling home sick as sometimes just saying it and moaning about it makes us feel heaps better :)

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Fiona,

Welcome to the forum.

Rather than hijack someone else's thread with your questions I've moved your post here - more people will see it and more people will reply :)

Depending on your age it's hard to move to Australia just for a year if you want to work as well. There is working holiday visa but I think that only allows you to work for 6 months and I'm not sure if it includes children.

If you haven't already done so take a look at the sticky threads at the top of the forum. There is a lot of info so take it a little at a time so that you don't feel overwhelmed.

In the 'PLEASE READ.....' sticky post there is link to the visa wizard. This is on the Department of Immigration (DIAC) website and asks you questions and will suggest a possible visa. The wizard only has the most common visas so don't worry if it doesn't select something for your family.

You also want to know if your's or your husbands skill set is in demand. If it is then you stand a better chance of getting in.

That's probably enough for now but come back to this thread with your questions and members will be happy to answer them.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi
My name is fiona and this is the my first time on this site... I was reading through some of your threads and then had to register to post u a message and then I just read that u came back. Good on u for going and good on u for coming back if u didnt like it. My husband is also a fabricator with a company in dublin he is on a
3 day week. We have 2 children jack 6 and isabelle 18mts. My husbands sister is married to an australian and lives in sydney and my husband has wanted to move there 4 years. Life here at the moment is very bad for us we r living from day to day. I really feel there is something better for us somewere else. We were hoping just go for a year rent out our house and see if we like it first. If u dont mind me asking as this is my first day on the net researching this. How did u go about getting your visa and what r the costs involved? Did your husband find work ok? and what were the wages like?

Thanking you in advance for your help.

kind regards
fiona
Hi Fiona I'll try and help as much as I can, it is pretty bad here now isnt it, we came home in Febuary and it looked a bit better but after the budget in April every thing has gone down hill here.

Any way Australia, this is the visa we applied for Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175) a skilled 175 now I'm not sure but last December they stop ed visa for skilled workers as they had a major slump but as far as I am aware that has all changed and they are accepting them again. some one here might know for sure .

we were on the sunshine coast which really slowed down but before it did we had no problem finding work my DH could have walked in and out of jobs. they do it one or two ways full time permanent or full time casual. if you are casual you get paid a Little bit more but you don't get paid for holidays but the most you can be kept on casual is 6 months. you can earn about 2o to 26 dollars an hour. were we were I don't know what it is like in Sydney if you are thinking about there.

I would never tell any one not to go just cause, I got home sick does not mean you will LOL. but I like your Idea of renting I would have done the same. at least then you know you have your house to come back to if it comes to it. or at a later date you can always sell.

I did fine it very hard but I had some rotten bad luck, very bad friends(never stay with family or friends) but I have said it before I m so glad I went it was worth it.

hope that helps ask away if you have any more questions :)
Naimh
--

1 - 3 of 3 Posts