Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well at last my ex husband is going for his citizenship ceremony on Wednesday! He got a new driving license as ID seeing the Home Office has mislaid all of his documents.

My question is however, what supporting documents are essential for his first British passport? He has another birth certificate and will have the citizenship certificate but does not have his expired passport which he entered the UK on.

Will the first two be enough?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I did look at the guidance Nycon which is what prompted this thread. He does have one old passport which is the one before the most recent one (which Home Office posted to the wrong address and is therefore awol)

·
Registered
171 Posts
You should be able to apply for citizenship with an expired passport. Even though it is no longer a valid travel document, it is still proof of identity.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should be able to apply for citizenship with an expired passport. Even though it is no longer a valid travel document, it is still proof of identity.

He has his citizenship already although he had to prove that he had not left the UK for a period of time despite the expired passport..

·
Super Moderator
18,088 Posts
Sorry Nyclon did not mean to sound grouchy it's all just so frustrating :(

Will Home Office take any responsibility for those documents?
No worries. I didn't think you sounded grouchy. I'm sorry don't know if the Home Office will take responsibility.

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
You need to send your any current, non-cancelled and non-expired passport, including foreign ones. If you can't, you have to explain why - mislaid by UKVI while applying for citizenship.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You need to send your any current, non-cancelled and non-expired passport, including foreign ones. If you can't, you have to explain why - mislaid by UKVI while applying for citizenship.
Thank you Joppa. There are no current ones (which the Home Office already know) That is at least a little encouraging. I hope the documents turn up but not holding out any hope after 6 weeks.

He needs to go and visit our son as his health is deteriorating..

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
If you don't have any current passport (from any country), you don't have to send any.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.