Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
This is very bad.

Now it makes me think twice about Oz but again all countries in the world have their share of problems. I live in New Zealand but we have all sorts of problems!

Lets not jump to racism as the cause of the attack. When the police has completed its investigations then we shall be able to understand the motive of the attack.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is very bad.

Now it makes me think twice about Oz but again all countries in the world have their share of problems. I live in New Zealand but we have all sorts of problems!

Lets not jump to racism as the cause of the attack. When the police has completed its investigations then we shall be able to understand the motive of the attack.
I agree with you, violence is a common issue today. But still when particular ethnic group becomes more vulnerable for local people then it is creates lot of speculation like racism

Victoria Police admits that Indian is soft target, what makes Ozeeies to feel like this!!

·
Banned
934 Posts
The issue is that people migrating to Aus have this warped view that Australia is Safe and easy going but in reality its the total opposite. It's very intense and its not that safe no safer than the lets just say the UK or US!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Very Sad news from Australia....
Especially for those who are very eagar to fulfil the dreams by reaching Australia.

Its a Ratial attack or not the question is less important.
As the Man is dead that is the important thing.

............................................................................................................
TRA Positive September 2007
Applied Visa 175 April 2008 (Paper visa MODL, CSL ,)
Got CO and Medicals July 2009
MEDICALS and PCC finalized July 30th 2009
Job Verification November 10th 2009
175 VISA GRANDED 22nd December 2009

·
Registered
217 Posts
Weebie,

You are right. People just forget that Australia is just like any country in the world. All have their problems.

Am not against New Zealand(where I currently live) but am just being honest. Before coming here I thought i was headed to paradise but I now realize its all talk and perception. We have alot of crime here!

Lets get realistic and acknowledge that we shall face difficulties no matter where we are. And yes if its racism, its everywhere...

The issue is that people migrating to Aus have this warped view that Australia is Safe and easy going but in reality its the total opposite. It's very intense and its not that safe no safer than the lets just say the UK or US!

·
Registered
207 Posts

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Australia is safer than UK and the USA (at least if you are speaking about homicide rates).

Please see:
CHARTS. Homicide, murder. Rates worldwide. Many nations. Various causes for differences in rates. Drug war, handguns, poverty, poor safety nets, poor healthcare nets, corporatist hate radio, etc.. Many NRA members are Morons and Sheep. Wake up the sh

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Agreed I am saddened that a person was killed. The race of the person is not important as I feel the same sadness regardless.

Very Sad news from Australia....
Especially for those who are very eagar to fulfil the dreams by reaching Australia.

Its a Ratial attack or not the question is less important.
As the Man is dead that is the important thing.

............................................................................................................
TRA Positive September 2007
Applied Visa 175 April 2008 (Paper visa MODL, CSL ,)
Got CO and Medicals July 2009
MEDICALS and PCC finalized July 30th 2009
Job Verification November 10th 2009
175 VISA GRANDED 22nd December 2009

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Hi

What is your observation on this?

Is it quiet common in Aus and not towards any particular group or nationality?

I'm not involved in this in any way, but I suspect its as common in Aus as anywhere else in the world and its not just one particular "race" or creed or culture or gender or religion....... thats targeted!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
207 Posts
Racism or not is the second question. First question is why is knife culture (people freely carrying knives, axes), booze n bash culture flourishing in cities which are rated as "Top cities to live" by Mercer, etc

Its not fair to say "It occurs everywhere". We are talking about best cities of the world. Govt and Police should be answerable to the public for this unchecked menace.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Racism or not is the second question. First question is why is knife culture (people freely carrying knives, axes), booze n bash culture flourishing in cities which are rated as "Top cities to live" by Mercer, etc

Its not fair to say "It occurs everywhere". We are talking about best cities of the world. Govt and Police should be answerable to the public for this unchecked menace.
From the song by John Lennon - Imagine -

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

Jo xxx

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

You are right

If it happens somewhere in 3rd world country, it is a day to day business but not in Melbourne. Being an international city with multicultural environment, we can’t blame anyone to keep it clean as we read in book. But still the crime rate and background of these attacks, leaves one good question. DOES IT REALLY THE SAME AS WHAT WE DREAM ………..!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
As we discuss this topic, another stabbing : Passing doctor saves victim

More details emerge on stabbing of the Punjabi boy. Earlier also he was bashed
Stabbing death shocks Indian community

I've been following news of Melbourne crime from past few months. What I've concluded is it is not safe for those Indian subcontinenters
1. Who walk alone on roads.
2. Who work in the night
3. Who use trains from 8pm in the night to 8 am in the morning.
4. Who venture to goto night clubs/bars/gatherings like footy match.

So unless you got a really good day job and cars to travel, you are not safe. And whenever you goto visit any public place, make sure you go in a large group of family and friends. Also live in a secure/uptown suburb even if you have to pay a rent of $2000 per month.

·
Registered
207 Posts
DOES IT REALLY THE SAME AS WHAT WE DREAM ………..!!
Follow the news closely everyday. You'll get your answer and then you can judge yourself.

·
Registered
541 Posts
As we discuss this topic, another stabbing : Passing doctor saves victim

More details emerge on stabbing of the Punjabi boy. Earlier also he was bashed
Stabbing death shocks Indian community

I've been following news of Melbourne crime from past few months. What I've concluded is it is not safe for those Indian subcontinenters
2. Who work in the night

So unless you got a really good day job and cars to travel, you are not safe. And whenever you goto visit any public place, make sure you go in a large group of family and friends. Also live in a secure/uptown suburb even if you have to pay a rent of $2000 per month.
mpgrewal.....

Thankyou for that GOOD Advice. Its really worthing.
Regards
hari999999

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
2. Who work in the night
That is excellent advise for anyone, of any nationality in any town in any country! Its the same for everyone all over the world.

Jo xxx

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
2. Who work in the night
This is good advice to anyone from any nationality in any city of the world - not just those from the Indian subcontinent who live in Melbourne.

It's an unfortunate fact that no city in the world is 100% safe for anyone. All you can do is reduce the risk by being aware of what you do and where you go.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
This is good advice to anyone from any nationality in any city of the world - not just those from the Indian subcontinent who live in Melbourne.

It's an unfortunate fact that no city in the world is 100% safe for anyone. All you can do is reduce the risk by being aware of what you do and where you go.
oops - just noticed that Jojo said the same thing. Great minds :)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.