Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moving to melbourne next week. I want to buy a car for commuting. Nothing flash but i wondered what average prices would be for the following: (i am 32, clean licence)

# average cost of a car
# annual insurance (can i carry my no claims proof of 8 years)
#annual road tax or equivalent
# average toll costs?!
# any other costs i should be aware of?

Many thanks for any help

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Moving to melbourne next week. I want to buy a car for commuting. Nothing flash but i wondered what average prices would be for the following: (i am 32, clean licence)

# average cost of a car
# annual insurance (can i carry my no claims proof of 8 years)
#annual road tax or equivalent
# average toll costs?!
# any other costs i should be aware of?

Many thanks for any help
A two- or three-year old Toyota Corolla with about 30-40,000 km will be about $18,000.

Insurance is about $100-130/month depending on what kind of coverage, where you live and the type of vehicle. Rego is just over $700/year. The other costs you have to consider are maintenance costs, which can be a killer (an oil change here can easily cost $150!!).

Not all roads in Melbourne are tolled, just CityLink and EastLink. You can have a look on their websites to see what you would pay if you used them. A day pass for CityLink is $15 I believe - you pay less if you get an account with them but it's only good value if you plan on using it frequently. Living where I do, I rarely use them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is great information thank you. Car insurance is better than UK then eh? Thanks for the heads up on maintenance costs too. Would $10-15k get you a decent motor?

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
That is great information thank you. Car insurance is better than UK then eh? Thanks for the heads up on maintenance costs too. Would $10-15k get you a decent motor?
Yeah, plenty of cars in that price range, they'll just be a little older or have more km's.

I forgot to mention there is also the RWC (roadworthy certificate) cost if it doesn't have one, about $150-200 for inspection and possibly more if work needs to be done. And stamp duty.

·
Registered
452 Posts
You can get a new car fr abt $15000.... With insurance ...service yhrown in...
Toyota..nissan are doing some good deals at the mo...some with 0% finance

1 - 5 of 5 Posts