Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I recently migrated to Melbourne from the UK and am having a great time. Seriously if you are waivering just do it Australia is a great place and you can always go back if you dont like it :)

I would offer the following advice to others thinking or about to make the move:

Qantas and Singapore offer extra baggage. With Singapore you cant have validated your visa previously to take advantage of this offer so we went with Qantas. It was more expensive than a normal ticket but think still slightly cheaper than paying extra.

Book short term accomodation for at least a few weeks. It will take time to get a rental. More expensive than normal rental but cheaper than hotel and has everything you need. It will take time to get a property and the application process is different to the UK. You have to attend viewings where all potential tenants turn up and then submit an application. With no history you probably arent high on the list as potential tenants!

I used these guys Melbourne appartment and it was great: Budget accommodation Sydney, self catering short term Sydney budget accommodation

Sort out bank account before leaving. We used NAB and no complaints so far.

Apply for TFN (tax number), driving licence conversion and medicare asap - having ID is very useful for all sorts of stuff.

Take your UK credit cards as you wont be able to get one immediatly with 0 credit history. Also be prepared for transactions to be randomly declined on UK credit cards (fraud security) so take a few cards if possible and let your bank know your moving.

Apply to as many jobs as possible (within reason!) to make yourself known to agents. I got a job after 1.5 weeks so was pretty lucky. For .net programmers there seem to be quite a lot of jobs about. The recruitment process is more through than UK so be prepared for many tests :(

Dont trust rental agents (kind of goes without saying!). These guys will try and screw you on the conditon report before you even move in! Mine had everything in mint condition (which it clearly wasnt) and items that were not there. They were great initially but it has taken a few weeks and multiple phone calls/email to get stuff that doesnt work fixed.

Some things seem much more expensive than UK such as Cars and books but most other stuff seems cheaper. You probably wont be able to get as nice a car for the same money and makes such as Audi and BMW are really big bucks here.

Buy a GPS for car and read the local road rules there are a few differences. It helps if you can go out with a local! I have only had one "interesting" Melbourne driving experience...

Good luck!

Alex

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi all,
I recently migrated to Melbourne from the UK and am having a great time. Seriously if you are waivering just do it Australia is a great place and you can always go back if you dont like it :)

I would offer the following advice to others thinking or about to make the move:

Qantas and Singapore offer extra baggage. With Singapore you cant have validated your visa previously to take advantage of this offer so we went with Qantas. It was more expensive than a normal ticket but think still slightly cheaper than paying extra.

Book short term accomodation for at least a few weeks. It will take time to get a rental. More expensive than normal rental but cheaper than hotel and has everything you need. It will take time to get a property and the application process is different to the UK. You have to attend viewings where all potential tenants turn up and then submit an application. With no history you probably arent high on the list as potential tenants!

I used these guys Melbourne appartment and it was great: Budget accommodation Sydney, self catering short term Sydney budget accommodation

Sort out bank account before leaving. We used NAB and no complaints so far.

Apply for TFN (tax number), driving licence conversion and medicare asap - having ID is very useful for all sorts of stuff.

Take your UK credit cards as you wont be able to get one immediatly with 0 credit history. Also be prepared for transactions to be randomly declined on UK credit cards (fraud security) so take a few cards if possible and let your bank know your moving.

Apply to as many jobs as possible (within reason!) to make yourself known to agents. I got a job after 1.5 weeks so was pretty lucky. For .net programmers there seem to be quite a lot of jobs about. The recruitment process is more through than UK so be prepared for many tests :(

Dont trust rental agents (kind of goes without saying!). These guys will try and screw you on the conditon report before you even move in! Mine had everything in mint condition (which it clearly wasnt) and items that were not there. They were great initially but it has taken a few weeks and multiple phone calls/email to get stuff that doesnt work fixed.

Some things seem much more expensive than UK such as Cars and books but most other stuff seems cheaper. You probably wont be able to get as nice a car for the same money and makes such as Audi and BMW are really big bucks here.

Buy a GPS for car and read the local road rules there are a few differences. It helps if you can go out with a local! I have only had one "interesting" Melbourne driving experience...

Good luck!

Alex
Great advice. Thanks for that. Its really helpful.

My husband is currently getting microsoft certification in .net to see if that helps with landing a job when we get there. Fingers crossed...!

ae

·
Registered
162 Posts
hi mac500,
That is a real positive news!! I am a C# developer with 5 plus years of experience. I have done my MCTS certification too. It would be great if you can elaborate on the interview process so that I can prepare myself from now on (;-) well i havent applied for the visa yet though). How many rounds of interview? What sort of questions did they ask? etc etc., Looking forward to your reply!!

Cheers,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

Thanks so much for all the info!! I'm moving to Melbourne in November and I really appreciate the post!! Did you go by yourself!? I am and am a little worried about meeting people-I have a job half set-up for after Christmas but wanted to get over before then to get settled in and everything!! Any ideas on where to head to to meet people!?
Thanks again,
Aimee

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi Alex,

Thanks for the update.

If you are going for a rental, to make your application more appealing to the landlord than others, offer to pay 3 months rental in advance. It works wonders!

And you are so right about book/car prices here.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it here.....we've been here nearly 2 years now (2 years next week in fact) and absolutely love it!

Dolly

·
Registered
80 Posts
Alex
this is really helpful. We are hunting for jobs from here (Bangalore, India) and getting a feel for roles in our areas (Biz Devt in IT R&D) but realistically know we have to take what we can get initially. We realistically know we have to be there to get a job, so all this is extremely helpful. Please keep posting if anything else relevant occurs to you.
Regards
Aurita

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
great advice.. thanks for sharing

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks, Alex! We're moving to Melbourne in November as well. Aimee, do a search on the forum - I know I've seen Irish people asking about meeting up in Melbourne somewhere on here. I've heard Melbourne is a pretty friendly place so I'm hoping that makes it a little easier to meet new people!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts