Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People keep asking about what to bring and what to buy. If you can buy it here, even if it costs a little less, buy it here. This leaves more room for the things that you can't find at all here like a .....

Fireplace Kit. You know, the metal cradle for the wood, poker, broom and pan. Have not seen one anywhere, my son in law told me I could "Stop looking".

A really good flashlight like a Pelican.

A Yagi antenna for cell phone reception.

·
Super Moderator
9,011 Posts
People keep asking about what to bring and what to buy. If you can buy it here, even if it costs a little less, buy it here. This leaves more room for the things that you can't find at all here like a .....

Fireplace Kit. You know, the metal cradle for the wood, poker, broom and pan. Have not seen one anywhere, my son in law told me I could "Stop looking".
Perhaps there are no fireplace kits for sale in Mexico because fireplaces are not that common.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps there are no fireplace kits for sale in Mexico because fireplaces are not that common.
Not in CDMX but out here in the boonies a lot of people use wood to cook, heat water and the house. I will bring two of these kits back so I can stop vacuuming up the ashes and have a real poker.

·
Super Moderator
9,011 Posts
Not in CDMX but out here in the boonies a lot of people use wood to cook, heat water and the house. I will bring two of these kits back so I can stop vacuuming up the ashes and have a real poker.
So how do your neighbors with fireplaces manage to keep the ashes under control without the help of fireplace kits? Perhaps you could follow their example.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Fireplace grate, screen and tools? Easy! Asked my neighborhood ironworker to make them & he created the most utilitarian, yet artistically beautiful set we have ever had. Far superior to what you could buy off the shelf in the USA, and at a fraction of the cost. We gave him a simple sketch, he measured the fireplace and had it all done in a few days.
¡Viva Mexico!

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So how do your neighbors with fireplaces manage to keep the ashes under control without the help of fireplace kits? Perhaps you could follow their example.
My neighbors pull their water up by hand, their stove is outside under the eave of the roof. Some blocks with a pan on top. I get by using two pieces of wood but will get the cradle. This was around Christmas.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fireplace grate, screen and tools? Easy! Asked my neighborhood ironworker to make them & he created the most utilitarian, yet artistically beautiful set we have ever had. Far superior to what you could buy off the shelf in the USA, and at a fraction of the cost. We gave him a simple sketch, he measured the fireplace and had it all done in a few days.
¡Viva Mexico!
I will do that, my wife made our metal man mad but he should be over it by now.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a home we looked at in Fortin de los Flores. Are there any comments on the unique design of this distinctive fireplace? They certainly didn't follow the herd on this one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My neighbors pull their water up by hand, their stove is outside under the eave of the roof. Some blocks with a pan on top. I get by using two pieces of wood but will get the cradle. This was around Christmas.

Wow!!! You sure live a whole lot better than all my neighbors, myself included. Just an observation.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd like to again ask for opinions on this particular fireplace design, what do you think as far as the local construction goes?

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
That fireplace looks like it was designed to really heat the room, with all of its walls inside the building. The wood storage space below is a neat idea, as is having the hearth at a more convenient height. Other than that, it is just a bit ugly and sure eats up space.

·
Registered
170 Posts

A really good flashlight like a Pelican.

A Yagi antenna for cell phone reception.
All of these are listed on both Mercado Libre, Mexico and on Amazon, Mexico

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All of these are listed on both Mercado Libre, Mexico and on Amazon, Mexico
Don't you get taxed on all imports? The last time I looked you had to order more than $68.00 to get"free shipping". I once ordered some items delivered by DHL and was stunned at the amount of tax had to pay.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That fireplace looks like it was designed to really heat the room, with all of its walls inside the building. The wood storage space below is a neat idea, as is having the hearth at a more convenient height. Other than that, it is just a bit ugly and sure eats up space.
Heat the room indeed but there is another very unique feature about this particular fireplace. I pointed it out to the owner. Does anyone else see it?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I don't know how they do it in Mexico, but in New England chimneys go through the roof. (That's sort of the point!) Could just be an optical illusion--I can't say for sure from the photo, but this one appears to end just below the ceilng. Does it vent to something built into the wall?

ETA: Now that I look at it more closely, it appears unfinished at the sides also--next to the wall towards the top.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
They don´t need fireplace screens in Mexico. Nobody has a carpeted floor in front of their fireplace. They have tiles which won´t burn. The póker can be bought at a large hardware store that has everything. Large log graspers might be hard to find. There is a saying: If you can´t find it in Mexico City it doesn´t exist. Then there is always MercadoLibre.mx.com.

·
Registered
700 Posts
They don´t need fireplace screens in Mexico. Nobody has a carpeted floor in front of their fireplace. They have tiles which won´t burn. The póker can be bought at a large hardware store that has everything. Large log graspers might be hard to find. There is a saying: If you can´t find it in Mexico City it doesn´t exist. Then there is always MercadoLibre.mx.com.
We definitely live in two different Mexico's - which shouldn't be all that surprising. Living in Texas and living in Florida are different worlds.

We have two fireplaces - each has a very very heavy metal screen. It literally takes two of us to move it. The previous owner actually had a cat which died - stuck in the chimney. The other day - one of the effects of the earthquake was to toss one of those screens across the room.

I have used MercadoLibre to great success.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
We definitely live in two different Mexico's - which shouldn't be all that surprising. Living in Texas and living in Florida are different worlds.

We have two fireplaces - each has a very very heavy metal screen. It literally takes two of us to move it. The previous owner actually had a cat which died - stuck in the chimney. The other day - one of the effects of the earthquake was to toss one of those screens across the room.

I have used MercadoLibre to great success.
I feel it is definately me living in Mexico for 11 years, owning houses for 35 years in Mexico and being invovled with Mexicans for over 38 years and not any specific location that makes us seeing Mexico as a whole differently. You might have not seen enough yet to differentiate between the subtle goings on that Mexico has compared to foreign living. All in all it is up to each person to asimilate here as best as they can to appreciate Mexico for what it is now and even for what it was back decades ago.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I feel it is definately me living in Mexico for 11 years, owning houses for 35 years in Mexico and being invovled with Mexicans for over 38 years and not any specific location that makes us seeing Mexico as a whole differently. You might have not seen enough yet to differentiate between the subtle goings on that Mexico has compared to foreign living. All in all it is up to each person to asimilate here as best as they can to appreciate Mexico for what it is now and even for what it was back decades ago.
So is there really much difference between 11 years and 5 years when you come down to it ? Did you crash though some sort of reality wall ?

I'm sorry - I do not understand your last point.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts