Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could one delineate the exact process (legal) to purchase and possess firearms within certain caliber, gauge, bore, length, etc. ranges for private home possession in Mexico. Further, is there a legal procedure to import from the US firearms that meet Mexico specs & requirements? (i.e. a S&W 38 spc. currently in personal possession in the US).

thanks in advance for any germane data/info put forward.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Could one delineate the exact process (legal) to purchase and possess firearms within certain caliber, gauge, bore, length, etc. ranges for private home possession in Mexico. Further, is there a legal procedure to import from the US firearms that meet Mexico specs & requirements? (i.e. a S&W 38 spc. currently in personal possession in the US). thanks in advance for any germane data/info put forward.
First of all you have to be a Mexican Citizen

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
It seems that's not the case, according to the article referenced. Perhaps you could provide something in English that supports your statement regarding citizenship being a requirement?
Good morning Joaquin!
Mexican citizenship or Inmigrante

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Good morning Joaquin!
Mexican citizenship or Inmigrante
Yet, it still isn't worth it to own a firearm in Mexico. As a foreigner, you can not take it off your property. With so many 'hoops' to go through to get the permit, it looks like a long tube.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the prompt responses, but obviously confusion persists. I apologize as my question was vague. Do you have a link to the appropriate Mexican authority that can advise me the rules for a private Mexican residence owned by a citizen of Mexico and a permanent resident to legally procure, import, and possess firearms?

again, thanks for the input

·
Registered
416 Posts
Could one delineate the exact process (legal) to purchase and possess firearms within certain caliber, gauge, bore, length, etc. ranges for private home possession in Mexico. Further, is there a legal procedure to import from the US firearms that meet Mexico specs & requirements? (i.e. a S&W 38 spc. currently in personal possession in the US).

thanks in advance for any germane data/info put forward.
I've heard no mention of anyone on the forum having been around that track, LM, but this search query will turn up a number of articles that answer your questions very directly. One of the results is a Wikipedia article that addresses what types and calibers of firearms that are legal and a lot more. This article on GunPolicy.org gives you a great overview of the laws surrounding firearms in Mexico. As to who exactly you would contact, of course, you would have to take the research from there.

Hopefully, I'm wrong about there being no one here who can give you an answer from experience...

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
Look to the Mexican constitution, then the rules. Then, give up the idea or forget about living in Mexico, where you will need, at the very least, a residence visa requiring financial qualifications and pre-approval by the Mexican consulate nearest your home, in your home country. Ask them about taking or importing guns into Mexico. They may ask if you are aware of their prison conditions. Yes, you can go to Mexico City, once you are a legal resident, and apply to the Mexican Army for permission to own a firearm and buy it from their one and only source. Amunition will be very expensive and, as previously indicated, you cannot transport the weapon without a specific and very limited document of permission. Once in your home, it stays there. Not a good idea for an expat.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Not a good idea for an expat.
No sweat, but I should add that I agree 100% with what RVGringo told you --- after having lived in one of Mexico's most dangerous cities for five years.

Even if you jump through the legal hoops, the cards are going to be stacked against you should you ever have to use a firearm to protect yourself -- which defeats its purpose. Being a foreign resident would only exacerbate the situation further.

Enjoy your Second Amendment rights in the US, but the reality is very different south of the border. Mexico's a wonderful place, but getting ensnared in the Mexican system of justice is just not something you ever want to happen to you, ever.

It would be absolutely irresponsible of us not to discourage you from pursuing this course of action.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Thanks for the prompt responses, but obviously confusion persists. I apologize as my question was vague. Do you have a link to the appropriate Mexican authority that can advise me the rules for a private Mexican residence owned by a citizen of Mexico and a permanent resident to legally procure, import, and possess firearms?

again, thanks for the input
Look for LEY FEDERAL DE ARMAS DE FUEGO Y EXPLOSIVOShttp://www.diputados.gob.mx/LeyesBiblio/pdf/102.pdf

That's what you are looking for

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I see no problem on owning firearms in Mexico, I have a few, all you have to do is register them and you have something else besides a baseball bat for protection.
If you want to carry your firearm outside of your office or home, that is a very different subject, but you can still do it legally

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Again, El Paso2012 thanks for your comments and genuine concern. On a seperate topic altogether, the narrative you put forward "The Demonization of a Mexican City" was SUPERB! My quality time in Ciudad Juárez traces back to the late 1980's and as recent as last December. Pathetic how the media never presents manicured city parks, a good steak, sunshine...

·
Registered
416 Posts
Again, El Paso2012 thanks for your comments and genuine concern. On a seperate topic altogether, the narrative you put forward "The Demonization of a Mexican City" was SUPERB! My quality time in Ciudad Juárez traces back to the late 1980's and as recent as last December. Pathetic how the media never presents manicured city parks, a good steak, sunshine...
Please be sure to post there then to offset some of the comments from the utterly uninformed about the city.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Not a good idea in the least. Particularly in this political climate in which the bad guys import weapons from USA. The fed, state & local cops really do not want you to have weapons here, I don´t blame them. And I assure you, if you do the paperwork on this you will be looked at by the police. Imagine if your firearm is stolen? Why would you want to do this?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Not a good idea in the least. Particularly in this political climate in which the bad guys import weapons from USA. The fed, state & local cops really do not want you to have weapons here, I don´t blame them. And I assure you, if you do the paperwork on this you will be looked at by the police. Imagine if your firearm is stolen? Why would you want to do this?
Why would it be stolen?
You can buy legally

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Well, for starters, a stolen gun costs a lot less than one you buy legally!
I'm lost here then, I thought we were talking about legally owning a firearm in Mexico
Then again, if you happen to buy a stolen firearm or one that was used to commit a crime, if it is a legal caliber, all you have to do is go and register it.
They do not check for the history of the gun, from the very moment it is registered under your name, you are responsible for it and what it is used for.
That's how it is in Mexico

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.