Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Still planning the move and then realized I don't know the rules for firearms. I own a 12-gauge shotgun which I use for Clay Pigeon shooting and do not want to part with it (custom made). How do I go about importing it into France?

Thanks

David

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Google - 'Importing firearms into France' gives 2430000 hits.

Enjoy your read.
99% of those are out of date or not relevant to a permanent move, just temporary imports or imports for French residents. I was hoping someone had actually done it and could share experiences but thanks anyway

David

·
Administrator
51,576 Posts
Contact the French consulate for your part of the country. They should have the information or be able to point you to the latest rules - possibly in French.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi,

Still planning the move and then realized I don't know the rules for firearms. I own a 12-gauge shotgun which I use for Clay Pigeon shooting and do not want to part with it (custom made). How do I go about importing it into France?

Thanks

David
Hi David,

I was in the same position as you - tried to get three shotguns over and quite frankly it is not worth the trouble. The paperwork is immense and they require you to be a member of a club before the guns are brought over.
If you go into the French Embassy web site they will Email you a copy of the relevant paperwork - if you still wish to continue after seeing it all I wish you Good Luck!!!!
Bruce.

G

·
Hi David,

I was in the same position as you - tried to get three shotguns over and quite frankly it is not worth the trouble. The paperwork is immense and they require you to be a member of a club before the guns are brought over.
If you go into the French Embassy web site they will Email you a copy of the relevant paperwork - if you still wish to continue after seeing it all I wish you Good Luck!!!!
Bruce.
If that's the case, I know of someone who, in order to belong to a club and go hunting at the weekend near me, had to produce proof of local residence (electric, phone bill etc) to be eligible to join in the first place. So if that's a standard rule then I doubt you could even get the import process under way until you are already established in France and can prove your residence.

·
Registered
594 Posts
12 Gauge

12 Gauge rifles must be declared on the shipping manifest and registered with the licensing authority upon entry on the territory; you therefore have 3 choices
- leave it behind with a family member if you wish to avoid problems with importation
- conceal it with a risk of being caught : fine, seizure, penal conviction, shipment might be confiscated by customs as they were a vehicle for commission of a misdemeanor. Container are scanned and a 12 gauge easily detected even disassembled.
- declare it on import, needs proof of purchase and proof of legal possession (permit, club licence) in country of residence (home country) attached to manifest.

best

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
12 Gauge rifles must be declared on the shipping manifest and registered with the licensing authority upon entry on the territory; you therefore have 3 choices
- leave it behind with a family member if you wish to avoid problems with importation
- conceal it with a risk of being caught : fine, seizure, penal conviction, shipment might be confiscated by customs as they were a vehicle for commission of a misdemeanor. Container are scanned and a 12 gauge easily detected even disassembled.
- declare it on import, needs proof of purchase and proof of legal possession (permit, club licence) in country of residence (home country) attached to manifest.

best

Just about what the shipping company said however obtaining a permit for owning a 12-gauge in California is impossible - there is no such thing. Five year olds can buy guns here - don't get me started :rolleyes:

David

·
Registered
594 Posts
Proof of purchase

In this case, legal proof of purchase would mean invoice.
I advice an sworn affidavit (translated in French) in lieu of licence/permit since it does not exist.
I also advice to register with a shooting club in France so that they will understand the legitimate use of your 12 gauge.
You cannot say you'll use for hunting as hunting license is now subjected to a (hardened content) exam.

If you're not sure, you'll need your 12 gauge in France, leave it in the US for now.
If you change your mind you can have still have it shipped by dhl later.

good luck

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update

In this case, legal proof of purchase would mean invoice.
I advice an sworn affidavit (translated in French) in lieu of licence/permit since it does not exist.
I also advice to register with a shooting club in France so that they will understand the legitimate use of your 12 gauge.
You cannot say you'll use for hunting as hunting license is now subjected to a (hardened content) exam.

If you're not sure, you'll need your 12 gauge in France, leave it in the US for now.
If you change your mind you can have still have it shipped by dhl later.

good luck
I spent 30 minutes at an armory and shooting school - they will issue a permit for a shotgun used for target shooting (clays, trap etc) but NOT hunting. This will get the gun into France as they do this all the time for visiting clubs etc.

All I need extra for permanent import is a letter from my doctor saying I'm fit enough for shooting and a French address - no problem!

I reckon this is sorted.

Cheers

David

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Follow-up

I spent 30 minutes at an armory and shooting school - they will issue a permit for a shotgun used for target shooting (clays, trap etc) but NOT hunting. This will get the gun into France as they do this all the time for visiting clubs etc.

All I need extra for permanent import is a letter from my doctor saying I'm fit enough for shooting and a French address - no problem!

I reckon this is sorted.

Cheers

David
Here's an update - letter from doctor is now in process. With that I can apply for the permit.

Then I went to the French Customs website and found a really useful contact who sent me all the data (in English) and the forms. The forms are very simple indeed, the only issue now is what address in France I use to get this moving and I'm just waiting on my customs contact to reply on this. If I can use a friends address we'll get the forms submitted, if not then I'll put the gun in the shipment, go to France and complete the paperwork there.

Onward & Upwards

David

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
This seems like a good place to bring this up. Anyone know how close to a residence you can get to discharge a firearm?

Across from my house are fields and vineyards. Last year, there were a group of hunters doing their thing about 75 meters away from my house. They all had shotguns.

Since we just had the facade plastered, I'm not looking forward to removing buckshot from my house. Last Sunday, I heard that familiar pop pop in the field. I'd like to be able to politely tell them to seek their quarry elsewhere if they get too close.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This seems like a good place to bring this up. Anyone know how close to a residence you can get to discharge a firearm?

Across from my house are fields and vineyards. Last year, there were a group of hunters doing their thing about 75 meters away from my house. They all had shotguns.

Since we just had the facade plastered, I'm not looking forward to removing buckshot from my house. Last Sunday, I heard that familiar pop pop in the field. I'd like to be able to politely tell them to seek their quarry elsewhere if they get too close.
A normal shotgun shell will carry about 300 meters but will have run out of steam at that extreme range. Less than 100 meters can be lethal. That's the technical issue but legalities I'll leave to someone else. I guess the Mairie or Gendarmerie could tell you.

Stay visible, wear bright clothes, make noise

David

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
A normal shotgun shell will carry about 300 meters but will have run out of steam at that extreme range. Less than 100 meters can be lethal. That's the technical issue but legalities I'll leave to someone else. I guess the Mairie or Gendarmerie could tell you.

Stay visible, wear bright clothes, make noise

David
Thanks David. I'm sure glad they didn't have rifles. Even a puny .22LR can go a mile.

·
Administrator
51,576 Posts
Hunters rule here in France, and that's not kidding around. We periodically have deer or pheasants roam through our garden, and our hunter friend will stand there, just itching to have his rifle in hand. AFAIK there aren't any formal restrictions on distance from occupied buildings - though there are amazingly few accidents (or maybe they just aren't reported?).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Hunters rule here in France, and that's not kidding around. We periodically have deer or pheasants roam through our garden, and our hunter friend will stand there, just itching to have his rifle in hand. AFAIK there aren't any formal restrictions on distance from occupied buildings - though there are amazingly few accidents (or maybe they just aren't reported?).
Cheers,
Bev
Know where I can get a Kevlar vest for my dog? :D What about your donkeys?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.