Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I use the A28 highway in Portugal many times a month and my Spanish transponder always works no problems and I pay the tolls.

Recently I had the need to use the A3 in Portugal. As I had checked that this road was included in the list for my transponder I used the "Via Verde" lane. Transponder didn't work on entry or exit. Seemingly on this road in contrast to the other I should've driven up to the barrier. Why they can't get it to work like the other one is very frustrating!

The question is what to do next? There has been a lot of talk online about them pursuing people in other countries and just as much talk about the cameras only being able to read Portuguese plates.

Does anyone know for a fact if they can pursue any action in Spain?

Does anyone know how I can pay the toll and the fine after the fact?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Smudges, I had a look on some Spanish forums and it appears that they do send the fine to Spain eventually via a law firm but most people seem to ignore them as they are sent regular post and not certified/registered and they can claim they were never received. Apparently they expire after 5 years in any case. I'm not condoning that behaviour just passing the info on.

I also thought to check on the VIA-T website after I had posted and it does in fact say to travel in the Via Verde lane but the the spanish transponder may not beep. I assumed it had to. I saw a green light and a price on the booth as I drove through, I assumed it was the previous car but it seems I did pay after all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts