Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone.

This is my first post so i thought I'd start with a little about myself...

My name is Anthony I'm 36 and have just moved to France in July after I graduated from University in sunny Preston Lancashire in the good old U.K.
My current residence is in the 17th arrondissment living with g/f's family which is nice as it gives me a chance to brush up on the lingo
(which is still a little rusty although her family have complimented me on my accent).

Since moving here we have done all the usual touristy things and we are now settling down and looking to plan for our future here, this includes giving up our rock n roll life style (lol if you count a cup of tea and bed for 10:30pm as rock n roll) and begin the search for work... obviously as my French language is at a fairly basic level this kinda hampers my efforts somewhat, and was wondering if you could give me any advice to help things along...

Ideally I would like to work in the Environmental sector as this is what my degree was in, but on closer inspection it appears to me the entry level qualification for many Environmental jobs is at least an MSc or higher and that leaves me rather short.

besides my dream job I am willing to do anything really but the more C.V's I send out, the more I don't get a response.... If anyone has any ideas about where I could go or who i should speak to regarding finding some work to get us started here i would really appreciate it. I have been keeping my eyes on the FUSAC news paper and checking all the online sources, is there anything i am missing?

·
Administrator
49,443 Posts
When in doubt, go for the "obvious." You don't need to be registered with Pôle d'emploi to use their services in looking for work. They may even be able to put you onto some low cost French classes for those looking for work.

One thing to realize is that the French tend to be nuts for "qualifications" - so if you're applying for a job that isn't in the line of work you're qualified for, they tend to ignore your application. But Pôle d'Emploi should be able to give you more concrete suggestions.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Administrator
49,443 Posts
With Pôle d'emploi, you may just have to go in to the office in person and see if there is anyone there who can help you. Especially when it comes to the French classes for job seekers.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With Pôle d'emploi, you may just have to go in to the office in person and see if there is anyone there who can help you. Especially when it comes to the French classes for job seekers.
Cheers,
Bev
Once again thanks Bev i will look up my local office and go check them out this week.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Bev

Didn't have chance to visit the job center yet, just wanted to let you know that I have been asked to go for an interview today for a paid internship at a travel company!!!

I AM VERY HAPPY!

thanks for your advice im hoping to goto the JC sometime this week

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Anthonyinthe17th,
I hope you find the job that you was looking for. I just wonder can you give me tips which website or office you went through to get the interview.

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Hello

You will need a good CV in French and a "lettre de motivation". Most supermarket book sections have suitable books. As discussed several times in this forum a good French CV is not a good CV in English with a good translation into French!

I confirm Bev's comments re certificates - really important. It might sound silly, but make sure you know what all the words mean on your English certificates - it's possible that you will be asked and you might look stupid if you don't give a quick positive answer.

DejW

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Anthonyinthe17th,
I hope you find the job that you was looking for. I just wonder can you give me tips which website or office you went through to get the interview.

Thanks,
Hi Thuale

Thank you for your kind sentiments I may have a lead on some temporary employment coming up soon so fingers crossed.

As for your other question, I began by registering on the pole-emploi.fr website, once I had done this I waited (and waited) and finally got an appointment to speak with an advisor (which was an experience in itself as I spoke very little French at the time)

Once this was done I waited some more and received my unemployment card in the post.

All the best!

Anthony:):):)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi DejW,

Thanks for the fast reply, I really want to do that, but in my situation, I only arrived in France couple months ago, I graduated in the US, and my french is really bad. I am currently study in MBA school with English program so it is not helping my french at all. I am working on it. But as for now, I really want to get a job or an internship with English. I know it's hard. I tried many website but still didnt get any respond. My CV is English but following french format as I got it correct by a headhunter.

thule

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Anthony,
Thanks for you information. I will try it. The website format in French, I hope I will find my way with it.

Good luck with your coming up opportunity.

thuale

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi DejW,

Thanks for the fast reply, I really want to do that, but in my situation, I only arrived in France couple months ago, I graduated in the US, and my french is really bad. I am currently study in MBA school with English program so it is not helping my french at all. I am working on it. But as for now, I really want to get a job or an internship with English. I know it's hard. I tried many website but still didnt get any respond. My CV is English but following french format as I got it correct by a headhunter.

thule
Hi Thuale

The key thing is DON'T GIVE UP! Keep learning the language (I am using the Michel Thomas language course and it's working pour moi) I listen to his CD's every opportunity I get and it really does work! I couple this with a few choice pocket phrase books and I can just about get by in most situations now, however, if someone wants a deep philosophical debate about comrade Gerard Depardieu or David Beckham's under pants I get pretty lost pretty quick, but the key is keep at it, check out the language schools too, some are pretty cheap and offer unlimited classes for a set price.

Another thing that helps is ALWAYS challenge yourself, put yourself in situations where you HAVE to speak French, this really helps too, the French people aren't monster's (well the ones I have met aren't anyway) if they see you are trying they are more than happy to help you out with correcting and assisting you...

I can't really speak on the employment front, but I'd take the advice given by the forum members on here as they are pretty awesome!!!

Good luck with everything and I hope you get the job your looking for!

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Anthony,
Thanks for you information. I will try it. The website format in French, I hope I will find my way with it.

Good luck with your coming up opportunity.

thuale
Hi Thuale

Sorry I neglected to mention, I am using Google chrome which has an instant translate facility, this helps me a lot especially dealing with government websites, give it a try or failing that there are many web apps like google translate which may help to begin with?

All the Best

Anthony

:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Anthony,
Thanks for your help. Yes, I do believe the forum members advice are really helpful. Hope thing will go my way. Oh and it would be great if you can name some of language school that you know of, I try to look for it but it is either too expensive or have a bad reputation.

Best Regards
thuale

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Anthony,
Thanks for your help. Yes, I do believe the forum members advice are really helpful. Hope thing will go my way. Oh and it would be great if you can name some of language school that you know of, I try to look for it but it is either too expensive or have a bad reputation.

Best Regards
thuale
Hi Thuale

I am just trawling through my email account looking for the schools I have been looking at, the most recent of which is called palmaspeak.com which has an offer of unlimited classes for 199 euros a month? not bad really if you make the commitment to go to as many classes as you can?

Anyway as I find them I shall post them for you (if that's allowed on here I don't want to get in to trouble with the admin's thinking I'm working on commission or something lol)

I'd check this one out though as it seems fairly reasonable? Also when you get your appointment with the Pole d'emploi you can ask them to supply you with a list of language course providers, they did it for me so I can't see there being a problem?

Best of luck with everything

Enjoy Parisian life (thats THE most important thing)

TC

:juggle::juggle::juggle::juggle::juggle::juggle:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Thuale

This school may also be worth a look...

Alliance française
101 Boulevard Raspail
75006 Paris
01 42 84 90 00
alliancefr.org‎

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi Thuale

The key thing is DON'T GIVE UP! Keep learning the language (I am using the Michel Thomas language course and it's working pour moi) I listen to his CD's every opportunity I get and it really does work! I couple this with a few choice pocket phrase books and I can just about get by in most situations now, however, if someone wants a deep philosophical debate about comrade Gerard Depardieu or David Beckham's under pants I get pretty lost pretty quick, but the key is keep at it, check out the language schools too, some are pretty cheap and offer unlimited classes for a set price.

Another thing that helps is ALWAYS challenge yourself, put yourself in situations where you HAVE to speak French, this really helps too, the French people aren't monster's (well the ones I have met aren't anyway) if they see you are trying they are more than happy to help you out with correcting and assisting you...

I can't really speak on the employment front, but I'd take the advice given by the forum members on here as they are pretty awesome!!!

Good luck with everything and I hope you get the job your looking for!

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):

Positive attutude, willingness to learn and integrate, go a long long way, but you're from Lancs so you already know that.

Good luck cocker, from a 50% Prestonian ex Frenchwood and Ribbleton circa 1960s (so the only way was up from there).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Positive attutude, willingness to learn and integrate, go a long long way, but you're from Lancs so you already know that.

Good luck cocker, from a 50% Prestonian ex Frenchwood and Ribbleton circa 1960s (so the only way was up from there).
Hi Lost in Traduction

Wow a fellow Prestonian, it's an honour to make your acquaintance.
Thank you for your kind words, as hard as it is to learn a new language I find a great degree of satisfaction when I get the right phrase at the right time (guess I'm just sad like that or old fashioned or something) Everyone I speak to tells me I have a very good accent when I am speaking French, so that cheers me up and encourages me.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you leave the bright lights of Preston for this wonderful crazy country?

:plane::plane::plane::plane::plane:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi Lost in Traduction

Wow a fellow Prestonian, it's an honour to make your acquaintance.
Thank you for your kind words, as hard as it is to learn a new language I find a great degree of satisfaction when I get the right phrase at the right time (guess I'm just sad like that or old fashioned or something) Everyone I speak to tells me I have a very good accent when I am speaking French, so that cheers me up and encourages me.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you leave the bright lights of Preston for this wonderful crazy country?

:plane::plane::plane::plane::plane:
Left a long time ago, for an idea of how long.

PNE were in the second division with a early Indian player I never hear mentioned, Ricky Heppolette. Irish International Alan Kelly Senior was in goal and my friend and I used to go to see them play unaccompanied as 9 year olds. Crowds then 17-18 000.

Not there now, but Tesco at the bottom of Manchester road (town side) just opened by entertainer (pre "Come on Down") Leslie Crowther, sorry you will probably need Google or an older relative to explain.

The largest bus station in Europe (maybe the world then) had just been constructed in the town centre

The move's a long story perhaps best by PM

Good luck

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.