Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

I've been recently granted a permanent resident visa (176). As I'm on a State Sponsorship from Victoria, I must spend my first 2 years in Victoria. So, I will be landing in Melbourne. My due date to make first visit to Australia is Aug 2014, so I'm thinking to move in June or July next year.

Unfortunately I don't have any close relatives/friends living in Melbourne, or even in Australia. So a little advise from you guys will be helpful.

I am a DBA by profession with 6+ years in Oracle & SQL Server. Can anyone recommend any good IT recruiters in Melbourne who provide good services to newly arrived migrants? If any of you with a DBA background can help?

Apart from seek and other job hunting websites, can anyone give any tips on getting a job. Also, how do I get casual/part time jobs while I look for my career job? Are there any recruiters/agencies who can help with that?

Are there any services provided by government to access the 'hidden job market'?

Once I get out of airport, are there any budget hotels/guest houses where I can stay for a week or two, till I get an accommodation for myself? Also, do landlords give rented accommodation easily to someone who has just arrived in the country?

Lastly, usually how long does it take to get a casual/part time work? If you guys can share any experiences it would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading my bunch of questions. Any help/advice will be appreciated.:smile:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Dear All,

I've been recently granted a permanent resident visa (176). As I'm on a State Sponsorship from Victoria, I must spend my first 2 years in Victoria. So, I will be landing in Melbourne. My due date to make first visit to Australia is Aug 2014, so I'm thinking to move in June or July next year.

Unfortunately I don't have any close relatives/friends living in Melbourne, or even in Australia. So a little advise from you guys will be helpful.

I am a DBA by profession with 6+ years in Oracle & SQL Server. Can anyone recommend any good IT recruiters in Melbourne who provide good services to newly arrived migrants? If any of you with a DBA background can help?

Apart from seek and other job hunting websites, can anyone give any tips on getting a job. Also, how do I get casual/part time jobs while I look for my career job? Are there any recruiters/agencies who can help with that?

Are there any services provided by government to access the 'hidden job market'?

Once I get out of airport, are there any budget hotels/guest houses where I can stay for a week or two, till I get an accommodation for myself? Also, do landlords give rented accommodation easily to someone who has just arrived in the country?

Lastly, usually how long does it take to get a casual/part time work? If you guys can share any experiences it would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading my bunch of questions. Any help/advice will be appreciated.:smile:
Hi Hammad!

I am also in the same boat. I too got granted the victoria sponsored visa and my initial entry deadline is Sep 2014.

I know it'll take time to crack a job in our field so I too am interested to know more about the causual jobs and how easy are they to find as I would like to get the ball rolling as soon as I am arrived there.

Lets see what other members have to say about it.

regards,
Roposh

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Hammad!

I am also in the same boat. I too got granted the victoria sponsored visa and my initial entry deadline is Sep 2014.

I know it'll take time to crack a job in our field so I too am interested to know more about the causual jobs and how easy are they to find as I would like to get the ball rolling as soon as I am arrived there.

Lets see what other members have to say about it.

regards,
Roposh
Nice, well that's the benefit of this forum really, people in same conditions can get to know each other :smile:

What's your profession and when are you planning to move?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Nice, well that's the benefit of this forum really, people in same conditions can get to know each other :smile:

What's your profession and when are you planning to move?
Programmer.
I am thinking about a visit alone in Feb 2014 but nothing is finalized yet. I think that if I get there alone first then I'll get ample time (4/5 months) to get the job and make arrangements for bringing the family over. But these are still just plans.

Lets see how it goes.

I am already having sleppless nights thinking about the move :fingerscrossed:

regards,
Roposh

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Programmer.
I am thinking about a visit alone in Feb 2014 but nothing is finalized yet. I think that if I get there alone first then I'll get ample time (4/5 months) to get the job and make arrangements for bringing the family over. But these are still just plans.

Lets see how it goes.

I am already having sleppless nights thinking about the move :fingerscrossed:

regards,
Roposh
Yes moving is a tough decision. Let's wait for others' replies.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone ??? :confused:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi, some suggestions...

Casual jobs are also found through websites. I recently checked Melbourne restaurant jobs, most want experience. Also almost everything in the hospitality industry requires certificates. To work as a barista, you need relevant certificate, to work in a restaurant or pub that serves alcohol you need "responsible service of alcohol certificate." Not difficult to get one, no worries, just find the nearest course or sometimes even online training is possible. Fruit picking is a seasonal job in Australia. Apple season apple picking, stone fruit season etc. At the same time keep searching for your job.

I guess that's why it's called hidden, noone seems to know, where it's hidden. Try to build relations, get to know people, be out there and increase your chances. Be prepared though, it may take some time to find a job.

It's better to find a place online before you land there. Check gumtree. There are many shared flats, or FIFO workers rent their place when they are on duty for 15 to 21 days. I recently saw an ad: in Melbourne, family goes for a vacation and wants to rent the place for 2 months. There are also "serviced apartments" where you can stay short term upto 6 months.
Also there is the option of staying at a hostel on your first days, prices change. Google and see :)
It may be difficult to find a long term rental after just arriving there. A friend of mine arrived in Perth last month, she is on student visa. She was willing to pay full year rent in cash, still she couldnt find a place for some time. Landlords or agencies want an employment contract or local references or paid electricity bills under your name or etc etc... So better to stay in a temporary place first. Some families rent their rooms as well. So my advice is to look for a shared rental, closed to CBD so you save time on commuting. If you are going alone, Im sure you wont have any problems. I have friends with 2 small kids WHO had to change 2 3 places in a month before finding a long term place. If they can do it, we can do it!

Also I advise to push your family connections, WHO knows maybe your uncle's cousin's second aunt's grandchild's might be living there! World is small!

As far as I heard, its not as difficult as long term jobs, in terms of sooo precious local experience that every recruiter asks. But on the other hand, the competition is though because of working holiday visa holders.

Good luck!

Thanks for reading my bunch of questions. Any help/advice will be appreciated.:smile:[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, some suggestions...

Casual jobs are also found through websites. I recently checked Melbourne restaurant jobs, most want experience. Also almost everything in the hospitality industry requires certificates. To work as a barista, you need relevant certificate, to work in a restaurant or pub that serves alcohol you need "responsible service of alcohol certificate." Not difficult to get one, no worries, just find the nearest course or sometimes even online training is possible. Fruit picking is a seasonal job in Australia. Apple season apple picking, stone fruit season etc. At the same time keep searching for your job.

I guess that's why it's called hidden, noone seems to know, where it's hidden. Try to build relations, get to know people, be out there and increase your chances. Be prepared though, it may take some time to find a job.

It's better to find a place online before you land there. Check gumtree. There are many shared flats, or FIFO workers rent their place when they are on duty for 15 to 21 days. I recently saw an ad: in Melbourne, family goes for a vacation and wants to rent the place for 2 months. There are also "serviced apartments" where you can stay short term upto 6 months.
Also there is the option of staying at a hostel on your first days, prices change. Google and see :)
It may be difficult to find a long term rental after just arriving there. A friend of mine arrived in Perth last month, she is on student visa. She was willing to pay full year rent in cash, still she couldnt find a place for some time. Landlords or agencies want an employment contract or local references or paid electricity bills under your name or etc etc... So better to stay in a temporary place first. Some families rent their rooms as well. So my advice is to look for a shared rental, closed to CBD so you save time on commuting. If you are going alone, Im sure you wont have any problems. I have friends with 2 small kids WHO had to change 2 3 places in a month before finding a long term place. If they can do it, we can do it!

Also I advise to push your family connections, WHO knows maybe your uncle's cousin's second aunt's grandchild's might be living there! World is small!

As far as I heard, its not as difficult as long term jobs, in terms of sooo precious local experience that every recruiter asks. But on the other hand, the competition is though because of working holiday visa holders.

Good luck!

[/QUOTE]

Hi Tuba,

Thanks for your detailed response. In fact, I know a couple of people in Melbourne who are my friends' friends. I've been in touch with them and trying to find more connections. Not sure how much they can help but it's good to have connections I guess.

For accommodation, I've experienced getting shared accommodation from gumtree in UK as a student. May be getting a studio/flat/house is difficult, but in UK if you just want a room you can easily get as long as you're able to pay the rent on time. I got two rooms in UK on separate occasions. All they wanted was a copy of my passport and to sign a contract - didn't even include a bond. May be same is for Australia?

The connections I mentioned above, they're all in IT so may be they can keep an eye on any openings in their company. Still, it depends on how nice they are and how much they're willing to help.

For casual jobs, yes I will keep checking on gumtree and other agencies websites. Let's hope I can at least get a casual job soon so that I don't have to worry about my finances.

Anyway, I'm not very pessimistic or optimistic. I'm ready to move to Melbourne and face whatever comes to me :)

Any one else can share his/her experience please?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts