Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it sounds like the impossible dream but its what I'd like to pursue. Can anyone make a suggestion on how to move to Paris and work as a full time artist? I have a BFA in Fine Arts from Cornish College of the Arts. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!

:fingerscrossed:

·
Administrator
49,165 Posts
What kind of artist? Graphic artist? Painter? "Performance artist"?

If you're looking for employment as an artist, you're in pretty much the same boat, whether you're looking for work in the US or in France. If you're looking to make your name and fame as an artist, it comes down to the old joke about "How do I get to Carnegie Hall - Practice, man, practice."

Finding a job in France is, at the moment, a real tough way to go. Employment, particularly among young people, is at a high point. To find an employer who is able to sponsor you, you pretty much have to have something "unique" to your skills - which is where the "practice, man, practice" part comes in. If you can make a name for yourself in your chosen art form, it would make finding employment (in France or elsewhere) considerably more likely.

It's not impossible - but it may take time and patience.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I believe Bev's brain was working faster than her fingers. She meant to say:

Unemployment, particularly among young people, is at a high point.

MS

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Predominantly I'm a photographer and a painter, I do a little bit of everything but apart from my fortes I'm also extremely interested in performance and installation art.

I was going to post one of my photos here but it said I can't yet. :mmph:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And as bad as it is in France, it is pretty horrible as well and France has the double the economic upward mobility of the United States, they respect the arts and are generally all round gay friendly, all amazing reasons why I'd like to move there. Plus it shouldn't hurt having a french last name.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I also do graphic design, marketing, advertising and I'm teaching myself web design but really I want to work as a photographer or just making fine art if at all possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.