Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am a new migrant to Australia. I was prepared to do any job available to survive at first but after coming to Adelaide I have realized its hard to get any sort of job here, I have personally submitted my resume in many places and applying online day and night but no response. I have tailored my CV according to the retail and other small jobs but still no luck so far.

Anyone reading this thread please do not be discouraged, there are plenty of jobs advertised online and I am sure its not the case with everyone but I am finding it hard to survive here in Adelaide without any job. Any advice and guidance would be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am a new migrant to Australia. I was prepared to do any job available to survive at first but after coming to Adelaide I have realized its hard to get any sort of job here, I have personally submitted my resume in many places and applying online day and night but no response. I have tailored my CV according to the retail and other small jobs but still no luck so far.

Anyone reading this thread please do not be discouraged, there are plenty of jobs advertised online and I am sure its not the case with everyone but I am finding it hard to survive here in Adelaide without any job. Any advice and guidance would be highly appreciated.
Hi Ozzieoz,

Can you please share your job search field?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hello everyone,

hope u get a break soon, wishing u good luck..what is your area of expertise, which field you are into?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
There is a lot of competition in retail jobs

Retail industry mainly hires teenagers as they don't have to pay them full rates. Look around in all the stores and you will see it for yourself. If I was in your place I will visit CBD and look for any opportunity there are some outlets which don't advertise anywhere instead they put a board outside their shop or outlet stating that they are looking for manpower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
618 Posts
Retail and assistance jobs is a very broad scope. What exactly in retail are you looking for? Sales? Customer service?

May be you could look at upskilling yourself based on the market demands. Adelaide has a high ageing population and one of the most popular occupations here is Aged Care and Disability Support. May be you could invest your time and money in a Certificate III in this field - atleast till the time you get your desired job. I know it is easier said than done, but you got to do what you got to do!

Reactions: waqassaleemkhan

·
Registered
882 Posts
Good luck

·
Registered
637 Posts
Where all are you looking ?
Hope you aren't ignoring facebook groups and gumtree. Also, keep an eye out on jobs posted on community boards in places like libraries (or even places of worship).

·
Registered
637 Posts
May be you could look at upskilling yourself based on the market demands. Adelaide has a high ageing population and one of the most popular occupations here is Aged Care and Disability Support. May be you could invest your time and money in a Certificate III in this field - atleast till the time you get your desired job. I know it is easier said than done, but you got to do what you got to do!
Yeah, right!. A cert III in community services costs $18k in Darwin ! I imagine a similar fee structure else where.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your kind words and suggestions. I am applying both online and personally, handed over my resume in a lot of places, no positive response yet. I am starting to think that only people with direct reference get the job. I am hopeful though because Australians are very helpful people, they encourage you a lot and are always positive so I am hopeful I will get some job soon but when I dont know. I hear people spend 6 to 8 months without getting any job and thats what scaring me and reason for my panic.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
What's your expertise? I understand you are looking for any retail/assistant jobs but if you could elaborate what's your experience, qualification and age someone can advise you better.

Girl Aussie

Thanks everyone for your kind words and suggestions. I am applying both online and personally, handed over my resume in a lot of places, no positive response yet. I am starting to think that only people with direct reference get the job. I am hopeful though because Australians are very helpful people, they encourage you a lot and are always positive so I am hopeful I will get some job soon but when I dont know. I hear people spend 6 to 8 months without getting any job and thats what scaring me and reason for my panic.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yeah, right!. A cert III in community services costs $18k in Darwin ! I imagine a similar fee structure else where.
You might be talking about a Cert III course through full time study at a Uni for a temporary resident. If you go through open colleges or TAFE based as well, it doesn't cost more than $2,000 for a Cert III in Disability Support / Aged care

Reactions: Bhajjaji

·
Registered
618 Posts
Lots of teaching opportunities if you are qualified to work as a teacher in Australia. You need to have a teacher registration from the state you are going to work in. Google ACECQA to find out more

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the reply. ....I am pursuing Ph.D. in biotechnology in India and likely to be submitted my thesis by end of this year. After that I am moving to Sydney after marriage where my fiance is already settled. Which courses I have to do there to opt teaching profession ?

·
Registered
62 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
You need to find a local contact to be your reference. In Australia applying for job online is unlikely to work, any job has 1000s of application as how easy now days to send CVs from even a smart phone. meet agents and people, improve your soft skills. if you want temp job get a car and drive uber or get a white card training and work in construction site, pay is $30/hr minimum.

Good luck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts