Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone please advise where would be a suitable place to buy some good furniture? We are new here, and we're looking for a dining table and chairs. The stores we have nearby include: BUT, Ikea, Conforama. Are these stores any good in terms of quality and customer service/delivery?

We also don't mind online furniture stores, but as a precaution before ordering we read store reviews, and there's always some bad review or another that puts us off. It's either a scam, or it takes an obscene number of months for delivery.

Appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
It depends what you mean by "good".

I got my dining table & chairs from a Depot Vente (about 10% of the price of a new shoddy equivalent).

But if you want glass & Alu, sorry, can't advise.

h

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Something that won't rock and hold up for at least a few years? I don't know how long these things usually last - it's my first time actually owning my own dining table! :D

·
Administrator
49,870 Posts
Ikea didn't used to deliver. I hear that they now do - but for an extra charge, not included in the price of the piece(s) you buy. For the other stores, I'd really go take a look at what they have in stock and just ask about delivery.

Ikea for sure, but possibly also Conforama and But, you may find that you have to put the furniture together yourself. If this isn't your idea of fun, you might want to find a local "real furniture" shop in the area (though French tastes in furniture don't quite synch with mine).

Another option is to stick the word "meubles" in the Pages Jaunes lookup, along with the name or postal code of the town you're in. PagesJaunes : Annuaire des professionnels et bonnes adresses You might find a local store that would meet your requirements.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can have a look at Tables à dîner Maisons du monde Bois clairs, Métal et Bois, Bois peints good quality and many styles (maybe you can even find yours Bev ;) )
Hi relocatella,
Have you bought from this online store before? If you did, was it a good experience?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have ordered lamps from them, and had a good experience. I have also used a site called www.westwing.fr- you have to join but that's easy and no cost. I had one thing arrive broken, and all I had to do was email them a picture of the broken item and they immediately refunded the full cost of the item. I was really impressed with their customer service, and they have pretty stuff. But for me personally, I prefer shopping at Dépot-vente Troc.com : achat vente de meubles d'occasion, d'électroménager d'occasion.... They have AMAZING deals on tables and chairs, and you can get 6 very high quality chairs for generally 150 Euros or so. Tables are crazy cheap. And you can get something gorgeous and antique for a tiny bit more that you can have for a lifetime. As Hils said, there are depot-ventes in every town, and you can get great deals there. It all just depends on your style. I shop at Puces du Canal in Lyon a lot, and all of the dealers generally deliver for free. Now you may pay a bit more, but they have absolutely gorgeous things that you can pass down to your kids. And compared to the US, the prices are still 1/4 at least of what you would pay there.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
btw Emily, I've looked for the contact details of the Depot Vente of which I spoke & I can't find them.

I can explain where the place is, but can't tell you how to get in touch with them. Will persevere.

h x

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ikea recommended

most of the home furniture rentals like Executive furniture rentals recommend Ikea. None better than rentals to take advise about furniture... i believe!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.