Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm expatting myself to the USA from Australia permanently.
I have studied a course here at college but don't know if it is great enough to find me a permanent job there or if I'm capable of finding work there at all.
I really need some input.
Would you have any answers for myself.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I thought you had that input from your previous post.

Have you been to the US?

It's not as easy as just deciding to move there. If you can't find a job which will sponsor a working visa, you can't move there. Unless you have a significant amount of money to invest in the country. You can visit from time to time.

The thing is, you have to demonstrate to the US Government that you're needed in the US. Are you?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Somebody keeps opening up new threads on my behalf. This was a post that I replied to on a thread
Thanks for your reply

Sent from my SM-N9007 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
50,417 Posts
The issue here is that you have the process backwards. Generally speaking, you can't "expat yourself to the US" and then start looking for a job. Unless you are married to a US citizen or wait out the (LONG) queue for other relatives who can sponsor you, you need to first find the job - with an employer who can sponsor you for a visa - and then you let the employer handle things.

Finding a job from outside the country is not terribly easy, and at a minimum you probably need the sort of qualification that can get you a technical or otherwise "higher level" type job. (It's a hassle and something of an expense for an employer to hire a foreigner, so you have to have something to offer that isn't readily available in the local job market.)

Whatever you do, don't fall for the various scams out there - offering work visas or listings of "work visa approved" jobs.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let's get down to basics?

Do you have a 4-year degree? Yes or No?
Hi nope I don't but their are 3 sub categories that fall under an eb-3 visa and out of those options It looks as I'f I fall under the unskilled professional worker

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can I go and study over their is that a possibly? than to find a job afterwards? how would that work. Cheers

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The issue here is that you have the process backwards. Generally speaking, you can't "expat yourself to the US" and then start looking for a job. Unless you are married to a US citizen or wait out the (LONG) queue for other relatives who can sponsor you, you need to first find the job - with an employer who can sponsor you for a visa - and then you let the employer handle things.

Finding a job from outside the country is not terribly easy, and at a minimum you probably need the sort of qualification that can get you a technical or otherwise "higher level" type job. (It's a hassle and something of an expense for an employer to hire a foreigner, so you have to have something to offer that isn't readily available in the local job market.)

Whatever you do, don't fall for the various scams out there - offering work visas or listings of "work visa approved" jobs.
Cheers,
Bev
When you asked if I had something to offer I thought that maybe because I am a foreigner that'll be less expensive for them. Just my thoughts .cheers

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Why would you be less expensive? There's the hassle and expense of sponsoring a visa, of proving that they can't get the equivalent skills in the US. In any case, wages are generally lower in the US than in Australia.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why would you be less expensive? There's the hassle and expense of sponsoring a visa, of proving that they can't get the equivalent skills in the US. In any case, wages are generally lower in the US than in Australia.
Thats the whole point since wages are lower maybe my chances could be higher. Just saying

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Possibly this:

You must be capable, at the time the petition is filed on your behalf, of performing unskilled labor (requiring less than 2 years training or experience), that is not of a temporary or seasonal nature, for which qualified workers are not available in the United States.

On what basis would you conclude that you fit this category?

Have you been to the US? Why have you decided that you're going to live there permanently?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Possibly this:

You must be capable, at the time the petition is filed on your behalf, of performing unskilled labor (requiring less than 2 years training or experience), that is not of a temporary or seasonal nature, for which qualified workers are not available in the United States.

On what basis would you conclude that you fit this category?

Have you been to the US? Why have you decided that you're going to live there permanently?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
You are just a moron mate

F*** off please
Thank you. It's nice to know that my efforts to help are appreciated.

I'm puzzled as to why you won't answer simple questions.

I'm puzzled as to your logic regarding it being easier to hire you because wages are lower.

I'm puzzled why, when you receive the same well-intentioned advice from several posters, you reject it and keep asking the same questions.

You really should take stock, and appreciate that as it stands at present you will not be able to settle in the US. If you really want to do so, it's a long term project, where you will need to get degree qualifications and skills that make you attractive to a US employer. Even that will only get you there on a working visa, the next step (green card) will take more work.

Or, work hard in Australia and make enough money to buy a business in the US ...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you. It's nice to know that my efforts to help are appreciated.

I'm puzzled as to why you won't answer simple questions.

I'm puzzled as to your logic regarding it being easier to hire you because wages are lower.

I'm puzzled why, when you receive the same well-intentioned advice from several posters, you reject it and keep asking the same questions.

You really should take stock, and appreciate that as it stands at present you will not be able to settle in the US. If you really want to do so, it's a long term project, where you will need to get degree qualifications and skills that make you attractive to a US employer. Even that will only get you there on a working visa, the next step (green card) will take more work.

Or, work hard in Australia and make enough money to buy a business in the US ...
maybe the questions I asked were my way of trying to find out what best suits me. I needed to keep asking constanly because ive never been in this situation its my future that im dealing with here. also I've been doing a lot of reading over the past few days so I still havnt come to a final decision of whether I choose to study their or be sponsored but after all the input about my qualifications I'll probably go their for study and see where it goes from their.

I've been to Los Angeles see I don't see any reason to why you we're asking these questions did they have any meaning? you can't just barge in and attack somebody maybe if you showed a bit more manners I probably would have cooporated with you a bit more.
anyways.just saying

1 - 20 of 39 Posts