Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
I am trying to get myself settled into my new life here in France and I am trying to search for an appartment in Lyon.
However, I do not speak French yet!!
Is there any websites or agencies that help people like me get into accommodation? I mean the paper work is hard enough but when you dont speak/read french it can become a nightmare!!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Charlene

·
Administrator
51,325 Posts
I'm not familiar with Lyon, but we do seem to have several forum members who are located there. If they can't suggest someone for you to deal with, you may want to try contacting some of the various groups in the area who might be able to help.

If you're a student, the university may have some sort of association to help foreign students with practical matters, like housing. The Paris area group is called "Science Accueil" - and they assure me there are similar groups (under different names) at most of the universities in France.

Or, contact any of the expat groups for anglophones in the area. They usually have contacts (or members) associated with relocation companies or agencies that work with foreigners.

If all else fails, contact the Lyon AVF group avflyonrhone - Espace de communication de l'AVF Lyon Rhône They have a section devoted to "international" newcomers, and chances are they can either help directly or refer you to an agency with some English speaking personnel.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have contacted the AVF but they want a membership fee and I am not feeling so rich right now :p
Well hopefully someone will see this message who knows of an agency in France - Lyon
thanks for your message.

I'm not familiar with Lyon, but we do seem to have several forum members who are located there. If they can't suggest someone for you to deal with, you may want to try contacting some of the various groups in the area who might be able to help.

If you're a student, the university may have some sort of association to help foreign students with practical matters, like housing. The Paris area group is called "Science Accueil" - and they assure me there are similar groups (under different names) at most of the universities in France.

Or, contact any of the expat groups for anglophones in the area. They usually have contacts (or members) associated with relocation companies or agencies that work with foreigners.

If all else fails, contact the Lyon AVF group avflyonrhone - Espace de communication de l'AVF Lyon Rhône They have a section devoted to "international" newcomers, and chances are they can either help directly or refer you to an agency with some English speaking personnel.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
594 Posts
accomodation

Hi there

You have search options,

1- go around the place you wish to live in (Croix Rousse or tete d'Or), and scout for real estate agents, the local bakery or the laundry.

2- search the web: seloger.fr (estate agents offers) or pap.fr (private deals)

good hunting

·
Registered
2 Posts
Scottish guy in Lyon too?...

Hi Charlene,

My name is Chris Milne, I'm 26 and from Scotland - and I don't yet speak good Frence either! (I have a profile on a website called 'justlanded' if you want to know more?

I am looking to move to Lyon in the next 2 weeks and could really do with some advice...Are you in Lyon just now? If so are you in temporary accommodation. Have you managed to get in touch with any of the English speaking community there so far...I'm finding it quite difficult to find them on the net. I know that you're looking for help yourself...but any info you could pass onto me would be greatly apprecialed! (...and I'll pass on anything I find to you too).

Many thanks and good luck - might even se you there!

Chris

Hello everyone
I am trying to get myself settled into my new life here in France and I am trying to search for an appartment in Lyon.
However, I do not speak French yet!!
Is there any websites or agencies that help people like me get into accommodation? I mean the paper work is hard enough but when you dont speak/read french it can become a nightmare!!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Charlene

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi
Thank you very much for this!! I will find somewhere eventually!!
Charlene

Hi there

You have search options,

1- go around the place you wish to live in (Croix Rousse or tete d'Or), and scout for real estate agents, the local bakery or the laundry.

2- search the web: seloger.fr (estate agents offers) or pap.fr (private deals)

good hunting

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi
Thank you very much for this!! I will find somewhere eventually!!
Charlene
To be honest, I think you will have some trouble finding and obtaining an apartment using only English, without paying some expensive expat service. Agents will probably speak enough English to answer your questions, but you will not get any paperwork or leases or anything in any language other than French. I ended up stumbling by in my basic French, and then grabbing a coworker when I had to sign papers and get inspections and other important things.

Finding an apartment in France can be mind-bogglingly difficult. You have to call agents to get the keys (or set an appointment) to visit the apartments you see on the internet, and different apartments use different agencies, so you may need to call/visit many of them across all parts of town. Agencies keep short hours and close for lunch, so you may have to take time off work to do your searching. You can use email too, which may be easier than calling, but be warned that good apartments go fast in Lyon.

If the AVF has someone that can help you with this, their 30 Euro yearly membership fee would certainly be less than you would pay a service that caters to foreigners.

For meeting people in the English speaking community, just hit up any of the many Irish pubs of Vieux Lyon. I like the James Joyce because they show American football, but all of them tend to have English speaking employees and patrons.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Chris

Hi Chris
Ok well I'll find you on that site.
Haha well I am sure you more French than me, because when I arrived three months ago I could basically only say Bonjour and sil vous plait!! - and I still managed to find somewhere with the help of my colleagues. So there is hope for you yet!
I am staying in a colocation which is flat sharing basically. I can stay as long as I like but I have decided to go out and find my own place as I have been here for over three months and I have finally have teh right documents needed to get an apartment alone. Plus I have now learnt which are the good areas to live in - especially since Lyon has a lot of transport strikes!! you need to pick your location really well!
I have made quite a few english friends - but mostly from just hanging out at the english pubs and talking to people - if your not shy you should give that a go!!
Anyway, give me an email if you need more info
Ciao!

Hi Charlene,

My name is Chris Milne, I'm 26 and from Scotland - and I don't yet speak good Frence either! (I have a profile on a website called 'justlanded' if you want to know more?

I am looking to move to Lyon in the next 2 weeks and could really do with some advice...Are you in Lyon just now? If so are you in temporary accommodation. Have you managed to get in touch with any of the English speaking community there so far...I'm finding it quite difficult to find them on the net. I know that you're looking for help yourself...but any info you could pass onto me would be greatly apprecialed! (...and I'll pass on anything I find to you too).

Many thanks and good luck - might even se you there!

Chris

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey there,

I only really know about sites for flat sharing (appartager.com is a really good one), but out of random curiousity, why would you want to leave a collocation if you haven't been here for that long?

I lived in alone in a student apartment last year, and it was okay, but meh. Now I live with 5 others in a sweet colloc and I couldn't imagine leaving it to go solo...

Cheers,
-SJ

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha I am not that crazy - I know French will be essential - I just don't want to annoy my colleagues to much so I am trying to do as much as I can by myself.
I have emailed some and some agencies have replied but finding a place with good transport to my job outside of Lyon makes things a bit more difficult.
Yes I have been to vieux lyon - the james joyce is a good place!!
Cheers for the info
Char

To be honest, I think you will have some trouble finding and obtaining an apartment using only English, without paying some expensive expat service. Agents will probably speak enough English to answer your questions, but you will not get any paperwork or leases or anything in any language other than French. I ended up stumbling by in my basic French, and then grabbing a coworker when I had to sign papers and get inspections and other important things.

Finding an apartment in France can be mind-bogglingly difficult. You have to call agents to get the keys (or set an appointment) to visit the apartments you see on the internet, and different apartments use different agencies, so you may need to call/visit many of them across all parts of town. Agencies keep short hours and close for lunch, so you may have to take time off work to do your searching. You can use email too, which may be easier than calling, but be warned that good apartments go fast in Lyon.

If the AVF has someone that can help you with this, their 30 Euro yearly membership fee would certainly be less than you would pay a service that caters to foreigners.

For meeting people in the English speaking community, just hit up any of the many Irish pubs of Vieux Lyon. I like the James Joyce because they show American football, but all of them tend to have English speaking employees and patrons.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well its mostly the location that I dont like - I live out in Venissieux and when there is a strike or snow it is very difficult to get to my job which is in Bron. I want to move somewhere in town where the transport is more reliable and also so I can go out more easily in the weekend.
Plus living by myself would be fine - I lived alone for four years before I came here and you really start to enjoy it - I mean I can still have my friends over whenever I like!
Cheers

Hey there,

I only really know about sites for flat sharing (appartager.com is a really good one), but out of random curiousity, why would you want to leave a collocation if you haven't been here for that long?

I lived in alone in a student apartment last year, and it was okay, but meh. Now I live with 5 others in a sweet colloc and I couldn't imagine leaving it to go solo...

Cheers,
-SJ

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!

If you are looking for a flat in Lyon, I'm used to suggest My French Lifeguard, an organization that helps students and young people get an accomodation and proposes other interesting services.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Charlene

I am moving to Lyon in about 2 weeks time and I can tell you that appartments go very quickly and without at least a basic level of French you will find it difficult. You may not be feeling that rich at the moment but if you really do want to move then you will have to fork out some euros to get assistance. In the interim grab a co-worker or a friend and get your conversational french up. That way the websites won't look soo daunting. All the paperwork will be in legal french language which you will need to get translated. Remember, lease agreements are for 3 years so you don't want to be caught out!

All the best

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Hi Susieee and Traceyb - This is a really old thread (2010). Presumably, the OP has found adequate accommodation either in an apartment or at last resort Under one of our local Roman Aquaducts.

Cheers!

MS

·
Registered
1 Posts
Right!

Dear all,

You're rght, finding a good place to stay in Lyon isn't easy...
I am Italian and I've been living in Grenoble for three years, so my French is not bad. I've recently had to look for an apartment in Lyon for my boyfriend who does not speack French at all... well, the "agences immobilieres" are really expensive and as soon as you mention that you are going to start working and that your family is not located in France, they often refuse to listen further. In addition, if you contact privates on the PAP or leboncoin websites, you have to be extremely rapid, especially in summer because everybody wants to move in Lyon.

After this experience I was wondering if foreign people like you would be interested in hiring a "flat hunter", that is somebody who takes care of looking for apartments according to your needs, organize the meetings and help with bureaucracy. How much would you think that a service of this kind would be worth? As much as a real estate (considering that real estates try to sell what they have at that time, while a "flat hunter" would explore what exists in order to try and find the best solution for you)?

:yo:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I don't think this is a bad idea but many people coming to Lyon (or Paris, Marseilles, etc. for that matter), are moved here by their companies or come as students, so I think you are doing the right thing by testing the market.

For myself, I came as a family member, so that's a different matter altogether! Good luck! MS

1 - 16 of 16 Posts