Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We need to get a document notarised and am having trouble figuring out where to go. Google search brings up mobile notaries. In the USA we could use our local bank or mail center. It doesn't appear the post office does it. Does anyone know of any walk in businesses that might offer notary services?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure if that's the type of service we need. We have a document that needs a signature that they asked to be notarised for the signature before mailing back to the USA. Do they offer that service as well or is that the same thing? They specifically said we did not have to send certified photocopies of the ids just notarised signature on the document.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
There are notaries public, special kind of solicitors, who can do that for you. Ordinary solicitor can certify your signature.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's kind of what I found through Internet search. I was hoping to find a store front where we can just walk in to have it done. We need it done very quickly.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
No it doesn't work like that in UK!
Most solicitors can certify your signature if you take your passport or driving licence. Mine will charge £5. Notary Public is more expensive, maybe up to £20.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suppose if we had more time we would take that route but we have to get this document in the mail by tomorrow afternoon. Not really sure what we are going to do.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
I suggest walk down your High St, pop into the first solicitor's office and ask if they can witness your signature. Take your passport or something official with your photo and signature on it.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. I will try that. Thank you as always!

It's funny how certain things like this you take for granted will be the same as USA and then BAM you find something that's not. You don't realise you miss it until it's not there.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Best I could do was an appointment this afternoon with a solicitor. They charge £30. The document won't be mailed until tomorrow morning but I can't do much better than that. I hope it doesn't cause an issue on the other end. All I can do is explain that notary services are not as easily found here in the uk and that was the quickest we could get it done.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
£30 hmmmm. That's London for you. Our local one said will do for £5 per document.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
I agree. London lawyers want big Mercedes while Lancashire colleagues are happy with small BMW or Audi!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.