Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm so excited because I met someone truly special, my soul mate, in France and now we are preparing for a wedding. We will be getting married in France. I live in the United States and will be relocating to France.
I have heard it is very hard to find work in France. Is this true? I'm am willing to do anything to be with her. Is it impossible for an American to obtain work and a work permit?

Thank you in advance,
Mehmet

·
Administrator
49,874 Posts
If you are marrying a French national and plan on settling in France, you will have the right to work once you arrive in France and validate your visa. (See the website for the French consulate that covers the area in which you are currently living in the US.)

Having the right to work doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to find a job, though. It depends quite a bit on what sort of background you have (training, qualification and experience) and how good your French is.

If you arrive in France as the spouse of a French national without speaking French, you'll be required to attend up to 400 hours of language training - which kind of rules out working right away in any event. Past that, it can depend on where in France you're located.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bev,
Thank you for writing me. What does "right to work" mean? Is there an advantage over someone who is not married to a French citizen?

Regards,
Mehmet

·
Registered
39,068 Posts
Hi Bev,
Thank you for writing me. What does "right to work" mean? Is there an advantage over someone who is not married to a French citizen?
Right to work means you don't need a work permit or any other permission to work in France. Non-EU citizens without such a right have to get a work permit and work visa, which are particularly difficult to get as employers have to demonstrate shortage of qualified applicants, which, in almost all cases, doesn't exist in this recession-ravaged economy.
As Bev says, having the right to work doesn't mean it's easy to find a suitable job, as your lack of experience and qualifications obtained in France, and poorer language skills, put you on the bottom of the pile.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jobs in France

I lived in Paris for 2 years working on an assignment.

Depending on your work experience will determine how easy it will be for you to get a job.

I have had friends who got jobs "under the table" at expat-owned bars.

If you want to find a professional job, I would get conected with the expat community.

There is a free expat journal you can find in most expat bars called the FUSAC. It is mostly in English and has all sorts of ads for jobs, classifieds, etc.

I suspect your finance knows where to find the expat bars. I usually went to Moosehead, Frog & Princess, Frog & Roastbeef, and some others at the Saint-Michael metro stop that I can not remember.

I would definately say networking with expats will be essential to finding a job. If they work in France and don't really know French (and most of them don't), then their company has no problem hiring other non-French speakers...right?

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.