Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those IT professionals who have visa already in australia:

i would like to know if finding a job in australia is hard to find? i am an IT professional and i am planning to get a skilled visa but i would like to know the steps to do in finding a job if ever i get to australia.

do the companies there require certain certification before you get hired? do i still need to study there before i get hired?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

Until you get PR no company will be interested in you. My OH is in IT and he phoned a few agencies in Australia prior to getting PR. Every single agency told him to phone back when he got his visa. Funnily enough, on getting our visas, the first time we actually looked for a job, he got one!

Look at agencies like Greythorn, Gemteq, Hudsons. Go on job sites (links are in the "please read: helpful websites........" sticky at the top of the forum page. Phone/email as many companies as you can think of to see if they have any vacancies.

My husband has no formal qualifications at all, just lots of years experience and didn't find it difficult to get a job. It all depends on which part of IT you are in.

So, work at getting your visa and then when you think you are ready to move over, start the job hunting.

Dolly

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so if ever i got my visa, do i need to get to australia right away and find a job or i could stay here in the philippiens for a while and phone agencies until i get a job and then fly to australia?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

Until you get PR no company will be interested in you. My OH is in IT and he phoned a few agencies in Australia prior to getting PR. Every single agency told him to phone back when he got his visa. Funnily enough, on getting our visas, the first time we actually looked for a job, he got one!

Look at agencies like Greythorn, Gemteq, Hudsons. Go on job sites (links are in the "please read: helpful websites........" sticky at the top of the forum page. Phone/email as many companies as you can think of to see if they have any vacancies.

My husband has no formal qualifications at all, just lots of years experience and didn't find it difficult to get a job. It all depends on which part of IT you are in.

So, work at getting your visa and then when you think you are ready to move over, start the job hunting.

Dolly
I think I was quite lucky but I actually got 457 visa sponsorship from a company in Sydney. They are actually taking care of the whole visa process for me. But most agencies are NOT looking for people who need sponsorship, I think I must be just an exeption to the rule..

Best chance would be to go for PR, move to OZ and then apply for jobs. It won't hurt to try though, it got me a job :D

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do they require you to have certification like certification in oracle, ms sql or such things in order to be considered in applying for a job?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Don't try flying over and start hunting unless you're doing high-end IT jobs. It won't work. Nothing is worse than quitting your comfy job, become unemployed, fly to a new place, bunk in a motel and start hunting from a position of weakness, i.e. unemployed.

I think there are huge legal obstacles in place to prevent employers from ruining the marketplace with cheap foreign labor.

With PR, the next Q becomes - can I find a job offshore?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think the OZ situation on certs is the same as elsewhere. Papers alone won't get one the job, experience and no papers is not that big a deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i am a systems/database administrator dealing with unix, windows, oracle, and ms sql with 5 years of experience in IT companies. although i don't have yet any certification, i have extensive experience in handling those. would you think i have a high chance of being employed when i come there?

·
Registered
315 Posts
With disclaimer on (everyone is unique, like everyone else), get your PR, get over and start hunting. You should do fine.

My reason for OZ PR is more than a mere job so I don't worry much about finding a job.

Yours is a wide-spread of skills. Think seriously about specialization and then get those certs. They're harmless to get, after all. If your employer pays for those, then they cost nothing!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that should clear up some of my concerns, thanks to all. now, how long would it take to normally to land on a job? 1 month or less, or 2 months or so?

any idea?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
As rivers said... depends on individual to individual... some immigrants manage to find simple( weekly) jobs before they get their type of job to start with.

Some gets in their first month.. some after 3 months.. there is not clear statistics on this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts