Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband is in a job where he gets a fixed monthly base salary of £1,208.60 equivalent to £14,499.96 a year; Not enough to meet the £18,600 but he gets monthly commissions and every 3 months he gets a bonus. If we add the last six months wage slips the total gross pay comes to £11,843.33 which if doubled would be £23,686.66 a year.

Now, one wage slip came £19 short from the £1550 but the previous and next pay slip made up for the £19, 27 times. I thought surely they cant refuse it simply by one wage slip that was missing £19 when the other months made up for it exceedingly but now Im worried. Ive submitted my application because I was confident but I have been reading various posts where the ECO's refuse applications for the stupidest things. Should I be worried at all? Should the employee's letter say something in specific?

Also how would I go about filling Appendix 2? Would it be Income from salaried employment, Cat A? If so what would I put in

3.11 what is your sponsor's annual income from this employment before tax?

if its £14,499.96 they will surely stop looking and say we don't meet the financial requirement but there is no other place where they ask about commission or bonus. I know I cant write down £23,686.66 because it is not fixed. Do I write down and average amount? If so how do I calculate an average monthly income to make this annual income? Do I add up the 6 pay slips total gross income and divided by 6?

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
If you are applying under Category A they take the lowest pay slip and multiply by 12. Your application will likely be put on hold because you won't meet the requirement.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats not good. Thanks for the reply. My question still stands though, I need to know how to answer the question or how to go about it to make the best of it. Does anyone else have an input in this.. please! Joppa??

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have paid and submitted my application (online) I have biometrics at the end of the month.

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
Has your husband been in the job a year? If so you should apply under Category B and supply 12 month 's worth of pay slips. As I said, if you have 1 monthly pay slip under £1550 under Category A you don't qualify.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He has been in that job a year but he only got promoted six months ago and has earned what I stated above. We cant apply in cat B because he was in part before these 6 months and before that he was here with me in Mexico. Where can I find this rule where the payslips have to be £1550 at least, or that they take the lowest payslip? I really thought I had a chance because I thought they used an average not the lowest. I'm well upset right about now. Its not gone through and its doomed to fail already. I really cant take this anymore.

·
Registered
39,079 Posts
The guidance has changed when fixed pay is combined with commission, overtime or bonus, and under Cat A, you take an average of your commission, bonus etc over 6 months and add to your basic pay. So in your case, if the basic pay is £1,208.60 and the commission came over 6 months to £4,591.73, then you add £765.28 to basic pay, making it £1,973.88, so comfortably meeting the £1,550 target.
I don't know how you have completed Appendix 2 (which hasn't been revised to take account of the latest revision, making it tricky to fill in), but what you should do is to write £23,686.66 under 3.11 and attach a sheet showing how you've arrived at it (using my example if you like). Just complete another Appendix 2 and attach it to your supporting documents when sending off to Bogotá.
New guidance is in 5.5.4.:
Overtime, commission-based pay and bonuses will be counted as income from employment where they have been received in the 6 or 12 months prior to the date of application as applicable. Sometimes the person will receive the same amount of income from overtime each month; sometimes overtime payments will vary, with different amounts (if any) each month. All overtime in salaried employment will be calculated based on the approach to income from non-salaried employment. This will be an annualised 6-month average for the overtime which will be added to the level of the gross annual salary.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/s...DIs/chp8-annex/section-FM-1.7.pdf?view=Binary

Also see the example of working out commission-based pay in 5.5.6.

·
Registered
39,079 Posts
So don't worry, don't panic. Carefully prepare the note to be attached to Appendix 2, showing your calculations as in 5.5.6 (check and re-check your figures to ensure there is no mistake) and complete a fresh Appendix 2. Staple the note to Appendix 2 so it won't get detached and lost.
If you put a misleading figure on online application, make a correction in the printed-out copy and attach a note that you have done so.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you so much! you don't even know how much of a relief your answer gave me, you simply are the best. :pray2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.