Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking well ahead here, to our 2nd FLR next year. We're currently meeting the income threshold with my salary but I'm wondering if we can squeeze anymore out of it in case the requirement goes up. Is there any chance we would be exempt from any changes as we're half way through the process.??

I'm salaried at 22k but with overtime, call out payments and allowances make approx 26k. Can I work out and add the average of ALL the extra earnings or just the overtime and not other allowances.??

Secondly I understand that we can combine my wifes wage to meet the requirement. Her 'normal contracted hours are 15 per week', she gets annual leave but gets paid per hour and often works extra shifts (but never less than 15hours). Is her employment non-salaried.?? If so they can't be combined by my understanding.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Is there any chance we would be exempt from any changes as we're half way through the process.??
Probably not. Historically, those in the UK on an initial spouse visa have been subjected to changes in immigration requirements instated between their first and second period of leave. This includes the Immigration Health Surcharge and change in English language requirement. Of course there's no solid plan to increase the MIR, though. It's in the conservative manifesto but they have somewhat more pressing matters.

I believe that allowances CAN be used, not 100% sure. But since it's gross, then I would imagine so.
Your wife is unsalaried (as she's paid an hourly rate) but as long as you've both been with your employers for 6+ months, then you can apply via Category A. Category A isn't limited to salaried employment but do be aware of the difference in how the income requirement is calculated for salaried (lowest payslip amount x 12) vs unsalaried employment (annualised average of the sum of all payslips in the 6 month period) income.

You just can't mix and match Category A and Category B for employment income.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To a degree the language requirement and IHS isn't too big a deal, but if they were to up the financial requirement we could potentially be caught with nowhere to go just a few weeks/months before an application. That's what I'm trying to avoid with a bit of forward thinking.
I've just re-read the Appendix FM guidelines, my mistake, you're right in saying that we can use both wages under Cat A. That's a plus.!
The guidelines didn't seem too clear regarding anything else other than overtime and commission with my wage. I'll have to look into that one a bit further.

Many thanks

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
More than a few people have suddenly found themselves unable to meet the financial requirement between initial entry clearance and Further Leave to Remain; in this case, they're usually put on the 10 year route to settlement (rather than the normal 5 year route) as splitting apart a family who is already living together legally could very well be construed as a clear violation of their human rights. It's hard to say how an increase in MIR would be implemented, as it's not happened before since its inception in 2012

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.