Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there,

Could anyone recommend to us an English speaking financial advisor in the Biarritz area?

many thanks in advance,

Louise :)

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
I'm not in Biarritz so I won't comment. However, I've talked to a number of Fr financial advisors and I have been deeply unimpressed. Reasons:
  1. Most appear to be tied to a bank / insurance company. I've not met the INDEPENDENT bit of IFA in France.
  2. During a discussion with a financial advisor I asked about risk. He told me that the investment was "without risk" - something a good UK IFA would never say. Putting your money with someone else is NEVER without risk - even if guaranteed by the government!
  3. The fees for investment funds SICAV FCP etc seem far too high for me

Anyway, good luck!

DejW

hi there,

Could anyone recommend to us an English speaking financial advisor in the Biarritz area?

many thanks in advance,

Louise :)

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
It depends what kind of financial advice you require: are you after tax issues, or investments, or inheritance laws, or retirement planning, or .... what ?

Whilst the appropriate person in the UK might be a financial adviser, that's not necessarily the case here, and it's difficult to point you in the right direction without knowing a little more.

hils

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, I see. Thank you! It's for investment advice in France and the resulting tax payments. Potentially a bit of property advice. We've looked into using the money for investment in the UK but have realised we'll have to pay tax in both countries which is obviously not what we want to do!

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
In principle you won't pay tax twice between uk and france. If you are tax resident in Fr you will have uk tax paid deducted from your fr tax bill. It's a bit complicated to put on the fr tax form, but the fr authorities did the calcs correctly.

DejW

Ah, I see. Thank you! It's for investment advice in France and the resulting tax payments. Potentially a bit of property advice. We've looked into using the money for investment in the UK but have realised we'll have to pay tax in both countries which is obviously not what we want to do!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi,

On the tax question as DejW says you'll only pay tax once as the UK and France have a tax treaty and if you're registered for tax in France then you may have to complete a UK tax return, but it would confirm the zero tax payable in UK

Regarding the question about investment advice, as Hils said it depends on what questions you're wanting to ask and about what investments. When you say "property advice" do you mean advice on how to buy something including what mortgage, and maybe the insurances etc, or is it more someone to advise you on what is your tax situation and how does property ownership affect that? ... or perhaps views on where to buy a property for an investment ... and as a 'buy-to-let' rather than somewhere to live in?

And when you say "investment" are you still talking about property or are you also interested in stocks, bonds, funds etc?

Best, Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.