Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took me three takes but I got it finally, second time was my fault, I jumped a red light that was hidden behind a stationed Truck (DAMN) but managed getting a 10 year full license on March 7th, 2012.

·
Registered
238 Posts
way to go!!!!!!

Reactions: anj1976

·
Registered
222 Posts
Took me three takes but I got it finally, second time was my fault, I jumped a red light that was hidden behind a stationed Truck (DAMN) but managed getting a 10 year full license on March 7th, 2012.
My hearty congratulations to you!

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I must admit, I do feel at home now :p.. a huge load off my head, lets see what the next milestone should be, still to figure :)

·
Registered
760 Posts
That's a great news !! Many heartfelt felicitations!

I hope you won't mind some questions in this vein:

1-Have you transferred your Indian DL-I believe so;
2-How many retakes are allowable, if one intends to transfer overseas DL (from India,Pakistan and Bangladesh) after which one have to start from the beginning;
3-As they've mentioned that newly arrived PRs are required to transfer their DL within three months of arrival-I wonder if one doesn't pass the road test in that time,what happens next?

Thanks and congrats again.

G

·
Congrats, I was terrified of driving in Australia, so didn't, because they're all mad and appear to pay no attention to lights and road rules lol.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Congrats Anjali.

Can you please list down the steps one has to take to get a full DL.

I have an Indian DL but it has wrong spelling of my name and the address in it does not match my passport address.
Instead of rectifying the Indian DL I plan to get a new DL in OZ. I am planning to join a driving course and then apply for DL. What would you recommend?

Thanks,
Melbourne

·
Registered
556 Posts
anj1976 said:
Congrats Anjali!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using ExpatForum

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hassan
Yeah I transferred my Indian DL, it isn't really transferring but if you have a full license you do not have to go through the 2 stages of getting the license. you straight away take the 2 computer tests and then the drivers test.

The comp tests are valid for on year, i think, not sure, you can take as many tests as you like, no limit on that one

In Victoria you get 6 months to convert your international lichen to Aussie license, each state has their own rules. supposedly victoria is the most relaxed. If you do not pass the drivers test then you can not drive, cant be simpler than that, other option is to get a learner's license where you can drive with a valid license holder (while sitting next to you)

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks Shel

you have to visit India to realise how organised it is here in Australia :p.. no one follows rules in INdia, the rule there is simple, whoever reaches first gets to cross/pass the intersection, ofcourse you have to follow the traffic lights but if you see no cops around you are eligible to jumping that as well :p

I had to unlearn Indian driving (been driving for past 20 years) and then learn Aussie way of driving)

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks coolsnake

Hey Melbourne

The steps are take 2 comp tests, make sure you take the mock tests on their website (vicroads), all questions that come in IQ tests are there. The hazard test is basic, nothing difficult, i got 80% in one and i think 94% in the other, cant remember exact figure :)

For wrong spelling you better get a proof that it is your because they do create a fuss, my license was made in 1993-94 and it had my maiden name, my passport had a different surname they asked me a few things, good thing was that i was carrying my old passport and my new passport had that number which serves as a proof both people are the same, i think you have to get a letter form transport authority or maybe an affidavit. As for joining a course etc, it can be expensive, you will burn a big hole in your pocket, I took just 40 mins session and paid 50$ for the same and then you have to have certain number of hours of driving with someone who has a valid DL etc etc, make sure you read the rules on vicroads site. it is better to just get an affidavit from India or some letter form transport authority.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Congrats Anj :)

Congrats, I was terrified of driving in Australia, so didn't, because they're all mad and appear to pay no attention to lights and road rules lol.
Ha ha, Shel, you should never attempt to drive in the Middle East then. In UAE, the hard shoulder is a lane and he who has the biggest car, has right of way! And tailgating is a way of life! The Aussies are excellent drivers in comparison.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts

Reactions: anj1976

·
Registered
353 Posts
Congratulations !! :clap2:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks coolsnake

Hey Melbourne

The steps are take 2 comp tests, make sure you take the mock tests on their website (vicroads), all questions that come in IQ tests are there. The hazard test is basic, nothing difficult, i got 80% in one and i think 94% in the other, cant remember exact figure :)

For wrong spelling you better get a proof that it is your because they do create a fuss, my license was made in 1993-94 and it had my maiden name, my passport had a different surname they asked me a few things, good thing was that i was carrying my old passport and my new passport had that number which serves as a proof both people are the same, i think you have to get a letter form transport authority or maybe an affidavit. As for joining a course etc, it can be expensive, you will burn a big hole in your pocket, I took just 40 mins session and paid 50$ for the same and then you have to have certain number of hours of driving with someone who has a valid DL etc etc, make sure you read the rules on vicroads site. it is better to just get an affidavit from India or some letter form transport authority.
Thanks Anjali!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Thanks for your response!

Would you please jot down the serious problems one face in the absence of Australian DL and that badly affect the settlement process.Furthermore,do you consider that the unavailability of DL is a major problem whilst one is settling therein the new homeland.

Thanks.

Hassan
Yeah I transferred my Indian DL, it isn't really transferring but if you have a full license you do not have to go through the 2 stages of getting the license. you straight away take the 2 computer tests and then the drivers test.

The comp tests are valid for on year, i think, not sure, you can take as many tests as you like, no limit on that one

In Victoria you get 6 months to convert your international lichen to Aussie license, each state has their own rules. supposedly victoria is the most relaxed. If you do not pass the drivers test then you can not drive, cant be simpler than that, other option is to get a learner's license where you can drive with a valid license holder (while sitting next to you)

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it is better to clear the DL while you are during the initial few months, once you have a job it is difficult to leave work and go take the test, but i suggest taking the test after driving for a few months so that you get used to the driving rules here, it is no rocket science but as i said i had to unlearn my Indian Driving and learn the Aussie driving..

·
Registered
110 Posts
anj1976 said:
Congrats Anjali! Looks like drivers license is treated more or less like a life time achievement! It was tough for me to get a UAE license as well.

All the best for a safe n happy driving.

Regards
Prakash

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Prakash, problem is, till the time you do have have a DL, you can not drive and with a child you cna not depend on public transport for everything.. everything else was fine but i was dependent on my husband for picking and dropping her from childcare which was becoming very hectic for both of us, more for him than me

1 - 20 of 45 Posts