Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are to choose, Australia or Canada?!!
Plz provide reasons if you are aware of both countries as I'm making up my mind now on this dilemma .. I will take my decision as per you replies so plz be sincere!!

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
We were accepted for Australia immigration around 10 years ago and ultimately opted not to go. Now we are moving to Canada.

But it is really not a decision we made cause Australia is terrible, just because, for the field we work in (Information Technology), the market is not as good, so there was a very high chance we'd immigrate and end up working in fast food or retail, which wasn't worth it for us (to do so temporarily, ok; but if there is little chance that after 5 years you would not still be asking "Would you like fries with that?", then it would be a major loss of living standards for us).

So my point is, it is really an individual decision that only you can make, based on your current living standards, what you do for a living, and whether you're prepared to trade off horrible weather like in Canada for other benefits. It depends on your lifestyle too, if you're outdoorsy, beach type people, then Canada would probably make you miserable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would opt for Canada.

A better climate and a closer distance to Europe do not give Autralia any chance if you compare the two countries.
Currently live in Australia and find the cost of living really high distance from home and everywhere a looooooooonnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg way the price to get home for holidyas even to Ireland is around AUS$10000 just for the airline:plane: alone so we are trying to get to Canada just to be back intouch with the rest of the world although I must say outdoor living is really cool over here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Both great countries in their own way but it all depends on where you can get a job and what type of lifestyle you want :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I havetravelled & lived in Australia for 18 months and loved every minute of it.
Now I'm in London, which I find really hard to accommodate to and we are looking at emigrating to Canada because we cannot have an Australian visa. and because the distance would make it hard family-wise (although Canada isn't exactly next door either...)

I also reckon it's a better compromise between living standard and distance.
I think both are quite expensive although now that I'm in London, I will probably find that everywhere else in the world is cheap!! :)

I have to disagree with northcrest about climate, I lived in Perth and it was just perfect! But I've travelled in Quebec during summer and it was lovely too. Not sure aout the winter though :-S

So I guess it's a matter of work opportunities and administration (both countries are quite strict in their immigration process),

Hope that helps! :)
Good luck!

·
Registered
160 Posts
What did you decide in the end and why? we are in the same boat, its a really difficult decision for us. Like a lot about both places and dislike parts too but both are much better than here!

·
Registered
25 Posts
"Come To Australia (You Might Accidentally Get KILLED)"

Then again in Canada we got Grizzly Bears, cougars, rattlesnakes...etc etc etc. It's a crapshoot either way. :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
with big opportunities come big risks! There is nothing left in Ireland/england and very few prospects for the future with rising taxes, which are already crazy high. Time for us to make like a tree... and leave, scary creatures or not. if we are careful then i guess we will be ok :eek:)

Thanks for the scary video thou lol :eek:) We are finding it so hard to pick one or the other lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
One of the resons i have chosen to move to Canada is because the distance is not too bad. I spent 3 months in NZ this year and i felt like it was so isolated from the rest of the world ...

Sent from my LG-P920 using Expat Forum

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you are to choose, Australia or Canada?!!
Plz provide reasons if you are aware of both countries as I'm making up my mind now on this dilemma .. I will take my decision as per you replies so plz be sincere!!

Thanks in advance!!
What have you chosen? :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I absolutely LOVE canada! I've heard the cost of living in Australia is the same as (if not higher) it is in Switzerland, which by my own personal experience is NOT cheap, but the salaries are good here so i guess it evens out somewhere along the line...
I may be biased, but I really enjoyed holidaying in Canada - we were in Calgary, Alberta.. cowboy country. BIG fan of the Calgary stampede.

there's quite a good website which gives you an average of the cost of life in countries and you can compare. I just compared Calgary to Sydney on there and it says that cost of living in calgary is 25% cheaper than in Sydney... It's probably not bang on with figures etc but give it a go... Cost of Living

·
Registered
16 Posts
I absolutely LOVE canada! I've heard the cost of living in Australia is the same as (if not higher) it is in Switzerland, which by my own personal experience is NOT cheap, but the salaries are good here so i guess it evens out somewhere along the line...
I may be biased, but I really enjoyed holidaying in Canada - we were in Calgary, Alberta.. cowboy country. BIG fan of the Calgary stampede.

there's quite a good website which gives you an average of the cost of life in countries and you can compare. I just compared Calgary to Sydney on there and it says that cost of living in calgary is 25% cheaper than in Sydney... It's probably not bang on with figures etc but give it a go... Cost of Living
very good comparison website thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts

Excellent link,

Thank you :eek:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm from Australia, and recently just spent 18 months in Canada and I would definitely choose Canada! I'm in love with North America. I have family in the US and It was great to see them at Christmas AND for 2 months during the summer this year, rather than getting to see them only every 2nd christmas coming from Australia.

I also feel Canada has much more opportunities. Job wise too, Australia is pretty tough at the moment. A lot of my friends have been job hunting for months now with still no luck. It's also really expensive. Yes the wages are higher, but you're also paying a heck load more for necessities like food & bills!

Personally I only came back due to feeling lonely once my friend moved back to Aus. But if you're going over with your partner it'd be much easier! This is why I'm planning to move to North America again, only this time with my dog! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
depends upon what you are looking for and whether money is an option? Personally, I'd go for Australia, Queensland up around the Cairns/Port Douglas area, just the greatest beaches and wildlife with the rainforest and barrier reef on your doorstep. Year round outdoor living (except in the rainy season!). However, if you prefer mountains to beaches then I would go and live in Canada, Banff, within the most stunning national park in Canada and less than an hour from Lake Louise one of the best ski resorts in Canada.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd say Canada. Aussie is just too far from the rest of the world and quite costly for relatives to come and visit you, or you visit them.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm from Australia, and recently just spent 18 months in Canada and I would definitely choose Canada! I'm in love with North America. I have family in the US and It was great to see them at Christmas AND for 2 months during the summer this year, rather than getting to see them only every 2nd christmas coming from Australia.

I also feel Canada has much more opportunities. Job wise too, Australia is pretty tough at the moment. A lot of my friends have been job hunting for months now with still no luck. It's also really expensive. Yes the wages are higher, but you're also paying a heck load more for necessities like food & bills!

Personally I only came back due to feeling lonely once my friend moved back to Aus. But if you're going over with your partner it'd be much easier! This is why I'm planning to move to North America again, only this time with my dog! :D
Hi James,

Would like to know which kind of work you or your friends were looking in Oz ? I am aspiring to move to Oz and work in IT. Do you find Canada has more jobs for IT than Oz ?

Thanks !

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.