Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

I'm in search of a film camera, and I'd love to know if any of you have suggestions as to where I might be able to find one. I know there are plenty of options on eBay, but I highly doubt the delivery process to UAE will be a smooth one.

I don't have a particular model in mind, but I've heard great things about the Canon AE-1.

Thanks!

Kay

·
Registered
580 Posts
The Canon AE-1 is a great consumer level film camera of the 1970s but they are around 40 years old at this point and they often suffer from sticky shutters. My advice would be to go for a professional model from Canon, Leica, Nikon, Contax or Olympus as they will be built better. You'll pay a little more but not much given that the bottom has pretty much fallen out of the film camera market.

There are a very large number to choose from. Models I'd consider are: Nikon FM, FM2, FE, FE2, F2, F3, F3HP, F4 etc.; Canon F1, F1N; Leicaflex SL, Leicaflex SL2, Leica R5, Leica R6, Leica RE; Contax RTSII; Contax RTSIII, Contax Aria, Olympus OM-1; Olympus OM-2, Olympus OM3, Olympus OM3. This is not a comprehensive list, there are many to choose from. For example, you could even get a Hasselblad quite cheaply these days, although that's not a beginner's camera.

I bought one for a niece a few years ago and I went for an Olympus OM-1. It's a beautiful little camera and not expensive at all.

Put most of your money into quality lenses. Al of the above have fantastic lenses available for little money (as compared to the cost of modern autofocus cameras). However, with a few exceptions, older zooms are generally not as good as modern ones. I'd mostly stick to primes.

I'd buy from a reputable dealer from the US. B&H Photo Video or KEH Camera are the ones I would recommend.

·
Registered
580 Posts
which is a mere 35 years old :)

I had am OM-1 in 1981 on a backpacking trip around Greece.
Yes. Actually, OM's could be older than the Canon AE-1. It was introduced 3 years earlier.

All I am saying is that if someone is buying an old, heavily depreciated camera, it makes sense to get one that was designed for professional use rather than a consumer product. The OM-1 is probably the cheapest professional quality camera of that era that I listed. By 1981 it was being marketed to amateurs but that isn't how it was built or how it was first marketed in 1973.

You had good taste in 1981. Great camera! It's the Leica SLR that Leica should have made (although I do love the Leicaflexes).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts