Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I am from Poland, living in the UK since 2008. I was living together with my Indian partner from 2008 till 2011, first in the UK then in India (when his post study visa expired). In Sept 2011 I moved back to London and since then I live and work here. Between May 2011 when I left India and now I visited him in India twice. In March 2012 we got married in India and now my husband is going to apply for a Family Permit to the UK as my spouse.

We have a problem with some of the questions in the online application form for EEA FP, though, and I'd be grateful if you could help us with it.

One of the first fields in the form is: ;expected date to return from UK'. My husband has stated he is going to stay with me in the UK permanently so how can he possibly answer this question which can be answered only in DD/MM/YYYY format? Any advice?

We're not sure also how to answer the questions about the finances. My husband is unemployed so we put 'zero' as his income. He doesn't have significant savings either. However, he has around £100 in his Indian account which will be seen on the bank statement he's going to attach in the form. In this case, should he click YES to the question whether he has any savings? If not, would it be OK for him to have 'zero' income and 'zero' savings as long as I prove I do have some savings and I write I can support him financially till he finds a job?

There is also a question about whether my husband is going to search for a job once in the UK and when he clicks yes, he needs to provide details. Would it be enough to write he's qualified (holds post graduate from Uni of Edinburgh) person and will search for a job in UK on that basis?

Finally, I just want to make sure that we have enough documents to make our application approved. Here's the list of documents which we have and planning to submit along with the application form:

[a]EEA National's documents:
1. A letter from me stating that I'm practicing EEA treaty rights, Im self employed and I can financially support my husband till he gets employed.
2. Copy of my passport endorsed by Polish embassy in London.
3. The invoices from my work in London from Sept 2011 till April. Contracts of the business premises I have been hiring and my business cards.
4. Tenancy agreement from the landlord. Letter from the landlord and the other resident stating that my husband is moving in on particular date and they are happy with it.
5. My bank statements from Oct 2011 till date (as a proof of income).
6. HM revenue and customs letters stating that I'm self employed and paying taxes and national insurance contributions

Our common documents- Proofs that we are together from 2009:.
7. Marriage certificate stamped by Ministry of Foreign Affairs, India.
8. Wedding invitation cards used for Kolkata reception and the other wedding reception card that will be used for Polish reception.
9. My husband's P45 from, pay slips, phone bills and my bank statements, from 2009-10 showing that we were living in the same address in the UK. Reference from our flatmate in Edinburgh and photos of our rooms and kitchen.
10. Three of our air tickets to Poland and Italy on holidays.
11. Tickets from Edinburgh-London and London-Kolkata on Jan11 showing we traveled together and my return ticket on May11.
11. All facebook messages we have exchanged.
12. Few emails showing how we are eager to be back together.
13. Mail written by me for my husband's birthday
14. 34 pages of skype conversations print out showing that we were calling each other every week from June 11 to Mar 12 when we were apart.
15. air tickets on Dec11 and March12, scan of my tourist visas to India
16. Some train tickets during our travel together in India.
17. 33 photos showing our wedding, both families together in Kolkata and various time line in our relationship. Like holidays, camping, clubbing, our rooms in Edinburgh, visits to Poland and to India, trip with my parents, trip with my parents in law and more.

[c]Non EU national's documents :
18. A covering letter describing our relationship, marriage and proofs we are providing.
19. My husband's bank statements for his Indian account

Please let me know if that's enough and if not, what can we add more to strengthen the case. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hi everybody,

I am from Poland, living in the UK since 2008. I was living together with my Indian partner from 2008 till 2011, first in the UK then in India (when his post study visa expired). In Sept 2011 I moved back to London and since then I live and work here. Between May 2011 when I left India and now I visited him in India twice. In March 2012 we got married in India and now my husband is going to apply for a Family Permit to the UK as my spouse.
Your legal partner or husband? (Marriage certificate stamped by Ministry of Foreign Affairs, India)

Weronika said:
We have a problem with some of the questions in the online application form for EEA FP, though, and I'd be grateful if you could help us with it.

One of the first fields in the form is: ;expected date to return from UK'. My husband has stated he is going to stay with me in the UK permanently so how can he possibly answer this question which can be answered only in DD/MM/YYYY format? Any advice?
Any date that doesn't go over a 6 month period.

Weronika said:
We're not sure also how to answer the questions about the finances. My husband is unemployed so we put 'zero' as his income. He doesn't have significant savings either. However, he has around £100 in his Indian account which will be seen on the bank statement he's going to attach in the form. In this case, should he click YES to the question whether he has any savings? If not, would it be OK for him to have 'zero' income and 'zero' savings as long as I prove I do have some savings and I write I can support him financially till he finds a job?
His finances are irrelevant, as you will be his sponsor.

Weronika said:
There is also a question about whether my husband is going to search for a job once in the UK and when he clicks yes, he needs to provide details. Would it be enough to write he's qualified (holds post graduate from Uni of Edinburgh) person and will search for a job in UK on that basis?
On the basis that he will help to cover the household expenses.

Weronika said:
Finally, I just want to make sure that we have enough documents to make our application approved. Here's the list of documents which we have and planning to submit along with the application form:

[a]EEA National's documents:
1. A letter from me stating that I'm practicing EEA treaty rights, Im self employed and I can financially support my husband till he gets employed.
2. Copy of my passport endorsed by Polish embassy in London.

3. The invoices from my work in London from Sept 2011 till April. Contracts of the business premises I have been hiring and my business cards.
4. Tenancy agreement from the landlord. Letter from the landlord and the other resident stating that my husband is moving in on particular date and they are happy with it.
5. My bank statements from Oct 2011 till date (as a proof of income).
6. HM revenue and customs letters stating that I'm self employed and paying taxes and national insurance contributions

Our common documents- Proofs that we are together from 2009:.
7. Marriage certificate stamped by Ministry of Foreign Affairs, India.
Again, your legal partner or husband?
8. Wedding invitation cards used for Kolkata reception and the other wedding reception card that will be used for Polish reception.
9. My husband's P45 from, pay slips, phone bills and my bank statements, from 2009-10 showing that we were living in the same address in the UK. Reference from our flatmate in Edinburgh and photos of our rooms and kitchen.
10. Three of our air tickets to Poland and Italy on holidays.
11. Tickets from Edinburgh-London and London-Kolkata on Jan11 showing we traveled together and my return ticket on May11.
11. All facebook messages we have exchanged.
12. Few emails showing how we are eager to be back together.
13. Mail written by me for my husband's birthday
14. 34 pages of skype conversations print out showing that we were calling each other every week from June 11 to Mar 12 when we were apart.
15. air tickets on Dec11 and March12, scan of my tourist visas to India
16. Some train tickets during our travel together in India.
17. 33 photos showing our wedding, both families together in Kolkata and various time line in our relationship. Like holidays, camping, clubbing, our rooms in Edinburgh, visits to Poland and to India, trip with my parents, trip with my parents in law and more.

[c]Non EU national's documents :
18. A covering letter describing our relationship, marriage and proofs we are providing.
19. My husband's bank statements for his Indian account
20. Two photographs as per requirements.
Please let me know if that's enough and if not, what can we add more to strengthen the case. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

If you are married, then what's on bold letters it is what you actually need. In terms of supporting documents, I only have to say: wow!:eek:

Later and by the time you are about to apply for his RC, you will need all that + Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (CSI), only because you are self-employed.

Animo
(Cheers)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jrge,

Thanks a lot for the quick answer! It was v. helpful.

Just one more question about the Residence Card so that we know for the future: is it my husband who should have this comprehensive health insurance? Why is that? He has NI number and he used to be registered with NHS in Scotland- doesn't it give him the right to free health service in the UK? And what is has to do with my self- employment? Thanks for explaining it.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hi Jrge,

Thanks a lot for the quick answer! It was v. helpful.

Just one more question about the Residence Card so that we know for the future: is it my husband who should have this comprehensive health insurance? Why is that? He has NI number and he used to be registered with NHS in Scotland- doesn't it give him the right to free health service in the UK? And what is has to do with my self- employment? Thanks for explaining it.
MEA CULPA: Self-SUFFICIENT applicants are required to produce CSI, not Self-EMPLOYED.

After you complete the VFA5 Family Permit on-line application, and submit your generous list of supporting documents (hats off to your attention to detail), please come back to share your timeline/experience.

Animo
(Cheers)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So: my husband submitted an online form for EEA Family Permit on Thu, 3 May and submitted the documents in person today (8 May). He was told that the decision will take max. 1 month. Hopefully it'll be sooner than that!

In the meantime, I have one more question:
We'd like to travel a bit when my husband is back in the UK. From what I've read and heard so far, it seems that waiting for a Residence Card can take long months during which he won't be able to go abroad as his passport will be submitted together with the application. That's why we'd like to travel when he's still on his Family Permit. Do you have any idea how does it work? Will he need Shengen visa for EU countries? Will he have to pay for it? I was told by a friend who works in a Polish embassy that he'd still need a visa to Poland until he gets a Residence Permit but if he shows our marriage certificate, the visa will be free. Any idea if it works the same for other EU countries? Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge!

MEA CULPA: Self-SUFFICIENT applicants are required to produce CSI, not Self-EMPLOYED.

After you complete the VFA5 Family Permit on-line application, and submit your generous list of supporting documents (hats off to your attention to detail), please come back to share your timeline/experience.

Animo
(Cheers)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Weronika, just a quick question. How far back did you go for your bank statements (both for you and your husband)?
We gave statements for the last 6 months as I've seen it somewhere in the supporting documents guidelines that it's good to cover that period.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Reactions: heathermb

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
So: my husband submitted an online form for EEA Family Permit on Thu, 3 May and submitted the documents in person today (8 May). He was told that the decision will take max. 1 month. Hopefully it'll be sooner than that!
Processing time is about right. Good Luck!

We'd like to travel a bit when my husband is back in the UK. From what I've read and heard so far, it seems that waiting for a Residence Card can take long months during which he won't be able to go abroad as his passport will be submitted together with the application. That's why we'd like to travel when he's still on his Family Permit. Do you have any idea how does it work? Will he need Shengen visa for EU countries? Will he have to pay for it? I was told by a friend who works in a Polish embassy that he'd still need a visa to Poland until he gets a Residence Permit but if he shows our marriage certificate, the visa will be free. Any idea if it works the same for other EU countries? Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge!
I don't really know how it works while on a EEA Family Permit. Although, it is a completely different story with the RC. Let me double check on that. If it helps, UKBA has reduced processing times of RC's to about 3 - 3 1/2 months for straight forward applications.

Animo
(Cheers)

Reactions: heathermb

·
Registered
80 Posts
We gave statements for the last 6 months as I've seen it somewhere in the supporting documents guidelines that it's good to cover that period.
Ah ok. Thanks :) Also, how did you present your personal photos in the application? Did you just put them all in an envelope together with a written description on the back of each one? Or did you present them in more of a photo album format? I'm not sure what the best way is to go about it.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts

While on the EEA Family Permit, he can certainly travel with you. However, at some ports of entry he "might" be given a hard time or not allow in at all. The reason, FM is a temporary admission to the UK. Your friend is right about obtaining the visa.

I can assume you would like to enjoy the summer and take a much needed break, and since at some point he will have to surrender his passport, and to avoid what happened to my Dominican friend (Tried to enter Lithuania and was turned away - they didn't acknowledged the validity of his EEA-RC), get the Shengen visa.

Animo
(Cheers)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,
Sorry for late reply. We pasted photos on a paper and wrote a caption and description under each photo but I don't really think it matters much.

Ah ok. Thanks :) Also, how did you present your personal photos in the application? Did you just put them all in an envelope together with a written description on the back of each one? Or did you present them in more of a photo album format? I'm not sure what the best way is to go about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,
Thanks a lot for replying and advice!
Just to let everybody about the waiting time for FP in India: my husband was granted a Family Permit on 14th May so just after 6 days wait.
We're very happy and already planning some some holidays in France :)
We'll leave applying for RC until October, hope it doesn't matter as long as we apply within the validity of the FP...

While on the EEA Family Permit, he can certainly travel with you. However, at some ports of entry he "might" be given a hard time or not allow in at all. The reason, FM is a temporary admission to the UK. Your friend is right about obtaining the visa.

I can assume you would like to enjoy the summer and take a much needed break, and since at some point he will have to surrender his passport, and to avoid what happened to my Dominican friend (Tried to enter Lithuania and was turned away - they didn't acknowledged the validity of his EEA-RC), get the Shengen visa.

Animo
(Cheers)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
Just to let everybody about the waiting time for FP in India: my husband was granted a Family Permit on 14th May so just after 6 days wait.
We'll leave applying for RC until October, hope it doesn't matter as long as we apply within the validity of the FP...
Congrats Weronika could you please tell what did you write for a question
how long did you intend to stay in Uk. did u put date
what date you will you leave uk
please answer my both questions as i am going to apply for family permit by end of this month.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congrats Weronika could you please tell what did you write for a question
how long did you intend to stay in Uk. did u put date
what date you will you leave uk
please answer my both questions as i am going to apply for family permit by end of this month.
Hi,
We answered 'long term' and the date of leaving UK was a random date at the end of the 6 months period (as that's how long the Family Permit is valid).
Good luck with your application,

Weronika

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hi,
Hi,

Congrats! and sorry I had missed this post.

It doesn't really matter when he applies for his EEA-RC. However, if his future employer is not quite familiar with the Freedom if Movement, he "might" be subject to unfair dismissal.

Would you mind sharing with us the list of documents you intend to send to support his application?

Thanks in advance.

Animo
(Cheers)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Finally, I just want to make sure that we have enough documents to make our application approved. Here's the list of documents which we have and planning to submit along with the application form.
Sorry to go back to your original post, but I wanted to follow suit with your description of the documents you included in your EEA FP application. Here's a list of what my husband and I included for our successful application...

EEA National's documents:
 A letter stating that I'm practising EEA treaty rights as a student and declaring that I am travelling with my husband
 Certified copy of my EEA passport
 My bank statements for the last 6 months (as a proof of income).
 Copies of pay stubs
 a university letter confirming my enrolment and the completion date of my course
 proof that I paid my tuition deposit

Non EU national's documents:
 A cover letter describing our relationship, marriage and the proof we are providing.
 Bank statements for the past 6 months
 Current and previous passports
 2 colour passport photos (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/visa-photo-guidance.pdf)
 Completed application form, printed and signed
 Biometrics receipt

Common documents:
 Marriage certificate
 Flight tickets and/or confirmations of previous visits
 Photos documenting our relationship
 Screen shots of my email inbox showing that we have exchanged emails since 2007 (in lieu of printing out emails upon emails)
 Records of call logs between the 2 of us

Hopefully my list helps guide future applicants, as Weronika's guided me. :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.