Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing much better meeting more foreigners around here lately. Because there for awhile I was feeling crazy dealing with Filipinos sometimes. I love it here in PH, but at times I'll tell you they get to me. Other times they can be funny as all get out.

Just curious question though, what is it with Filipinos constantly staring, I have heard other foreigners tell me they experience the same thing, anyone else ?

·
Registered
631 Posts
We are exotic. Anything different here gets noticed. I have seen people form a group surrounding a severely handicapped person, just staring and pointing. Just the way they are here.

This is the most homogeneous place I have ever been. Anything different stands out a lot. They don't mean anything bad by it.

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
Staring or glaring

I have been doing much better meeting more foreigners around here lately. Because there for awhile I was feeling crazy dealing with Filipinos sometimes. I love it here in PH, but at times I'll tell you they get to me. Other times they can be funny as all get out.

Just curious question though, what is it with Filipinos constantly staring, I have heard other foreigners tell me they experience the same thing, anyone else ?
Tdd ... the staring it's real because in some area's people aren't used to seeing foreigners and most cannot speak English I think if they could they would greet you.. and you also might see glaring or you see them smiling and then as you approach closer the facial expression turns into frown or scowl... LOL, it's probably because they don't want to get embarrassed with conversation they can't speak English.

Walking for me seemed a little uncomfortable so I ride my bicycle to and from the market or stores it's the best way to get around without that slow uncomfortable stare and if someone wants to talk with me I can stop and talk, there are many friendly people that can speak English our municipality roads are dirty and it's mainly an animal raising municipality. :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I get that as well , my filipina wife is a lot shorter than me , i stand out like a lamp post !
But then again i put it down to my handsome good looks��seriously though theres not many
Of us whiteys, in Los Banos although i did see 2 old guys this morning who could barely walk nobody took any notice of them
I love all the attention we get as we walk around the stores,all the young girls wishing me good morning etc.

·
Registered
509 Posts

They're just curious that's all.

I remember back in 1991 I went down to General Santos to visit some of my wife's relatives. At that time there was a brief period of peace down their in Mindanao, and at that time it was relatively safe for foreigners to walk around. My wife and I were eating in a small beach side cafe, and a little Filipino boy about four years old sitting at the next table kept staring at me. His mother kept trying to get him to eat his lunch, but he was much more interested in putting his own hand in his mouth as he stared at the foreigner.

Finally I waved to the little kid, and my wife struck up a conversation with the mother. The little boy asked if I was part shark, because my nose was so sharp, and because I ate my lunch so quickly. (There was a picture of a shark hanging on one of the walls). My wife told the little boy that I wasn't a shark, but he still wanted to know why my nose was so sharp looking , and why it was shaped like an arrow. I told the little boy that he'd better eat his lunch and be a good boy, or else I'd point my arrow nose at him.

It's just a different culture, They don't mean anything bad most of the time. Just wait until your standing at the urinal in a public restroom, and one of the local lady boys decides to peek over the partition to take a look at your junk. Don't get mad, they don't know any better.

However, you'll get a totally different vibe if someone is sizing you hope as a potential robbery victim.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Years back when I first started to visit here and through subsequent visits, it did seem to me that I was constantly being watched, this feeling has diminished since I moved here permanently a bit over 3 years ago. Now it all seems to be normal(maybe I'm just getting used to it and am just ignoring the stares) when I am out & about except once in a while a little one may stare but I just feel the little ones may have not seen something so strange as we may appear to them.We go to the wharf here nearly every morning very early as she likes to breathe the morning sea air. We see some of the same people there every time and mostly I just say "good Morning" to them and they will do the same, some give only a nod of the head so that is what is returned in acknowledgment. Sometimes they may start a conversation but then seem to quickly "get a nosebleed" (run out of english words they know) and it kind of goes downhill until my Asawa speaks in the native tongue and then I am excused. Mostly it seems to me that they are afraid of being embarrassed of their english so they refrain from speaking.

Fred

·
Registered
1,568 Posts

If you are true to your pic no wonder they stare or look, honestly you will get looks also in western countries flaunting a physique as pictured,,,,,,, sorry to be to the point, different colour/taller/Blxxdy loud attracts attention, enjoy as it is short lived if and when you settle.

Have to disagree with some other members appreciation of english comprehension with regards to Filipinos unless in the wilderness,,,,,,,, mind you I have worked in the back blocks in PH for years and I mean native and while the lack of english can impede, patients from both sides wins the day, larger centres are easy and very accomodating. I have truly learnt that language is only a barrier perceived by some in all countries we travel. As a Tourist in Latvia I am shy to converse or rural Italy the same but in Rome easy or Paris it is easier, always greeted, accepted and tolerated unless obnoxious. The Philippines for me is an easy choice as some 75% speak English.
My better half speaks English, Tagalog, Ilocano, Bikol ,Cebuano and dialects in between, Spanish comes easy. Me? Hopeless with english and naught else while my Filipino partner speaks 5 languages against my one.

Only my opinion and an interesting observation.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
75 Posts
A TON of Filipinos have resting anger face. They don't mean anything by it and are not even in a bad mood. Imagine if you are sitting at home in the USA and suddenly a herd of Zebras begin to walk slowly down the road. Your expression would be much of the same staring at this extremely out of the norm even... maybe wide-eye at first but followed by scrunched eyebrows as you wonder "what is this doing here? How do I ask this Zebra why it's here when I don't speak yiYIP yiYIP?

If a filipino gets angry with you, trust me.... you'll know.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Thats for sure. Couple ofyears ago when a taxi driver ran into my side door, he spouted off for about an hour constantly going on even after the cop came to intercede, and the cop finally had to get him to shut up. According to him it was my fault because I was in his way. In the end, it was proven to be his fault. I was just so amazed at how quick he was to fly off the handle and begin his incoherent rambling &shouting as if the more noise he made would prove his side. Maybe it seemed to make him madder as I would not try to talk to him but waited for the cop to arrive to explain my thoughts.

Fred

·
Registered
442 Posts

All the time whether with my partner or on my own. I just stare back and they look away. I have come to the conclusion that they are captivated by my fabulous good looks lol!!!

·
Registered
631 Posts
All the time whether with my partner or on my own. I just stare back and they look away. I have come to the conclusion that they are captivated by my fabulous good looks lol!!!
On several occasions I have been told I have beautiful eyes, and once was told I have a precious head (whatever that means). I am sure it is your sturdy good looks too! :D

·
Registered
442 Posts
I get that as well , my filipina wife is a lot shorter than me , i stand out like a lamp post !
But then again i put it down to my handsome good looks��seriously though theres not many
Of us whiteys, in Los Banos although i did see 2 old guys this morning who could barely walk nobody took any notice of them
I love all the attention we get as we walk around the stores,all the young girls wishing me good morning etc.
Well we should be happy that we get all this attention really. I am no young Marlon Brando so this is a new experience, probably should just enjoy it.:):rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Well we should be happy that we get all this attention really. I am no young Marlon Brando so this is a new experience, probably should just enjoy it.:):rolleyes:
What's funny is that after you've been here a number of years you don't even notice it anymore.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A TON of Filipinos have resting anger face. They don't mean anything by it and are not even in a bad mood. Imagine if you are sitting at home in the USA and suddenly a herd of Zebras begin to walk slowly down the road. Your expression would be much of the same staring at this extremely out of the norm even... maybe wide-eye at first but followed by scrunched eyebrows as you wonder "what is this doing here? How do I ask this Zebra why it's here when I don't speak yiYIP yiYIP?

I been in the Philippines for years and have kids here and not all stares are good. It does not matter, any place on earth, a mean looking or constant stare is disrespectful everywhere, even to a Filipino. Admiration of one's looks by a Filipino is different.

It does not matter what County your from. people should be treated the same way they would want to be treated. I don't treat people like that in my Country. Who are foreigners, unless I'm asking for trouble. Lol 😆

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
I been in the Philippines for years and have kids here and not all stares are good. It does not matter, any place on earth, a mean looking or constant stare is disrespectful everywhere, even to a Filipino. Admiration of one's looks by a Filipino is different.

It does not matter what County your from. people should be treated the same way they would want to be treated. I don't treat people like that in my Country. Who are foreigners, unless I'm asking for trouble. Lol 😆
Welcome to the forum Life in the Philipines, this thread is a couple years old and I don't remember it but there's a :) sort of stare like after you smiled or talked with someone and then you might see them again and it's a scowl or frowning look :) I'm not sure if you noticed that.

For sure in some parts staring would be somewhat normal here because many don't see foreigners that much let alone speak English at least not in the Municipality I live or surrounding, I see a little more English speaking up North from us in Calamba as soon as Public Transportation opens up I'd like to take a trip to Burger King and the SM mall it's been a long time I laso like the SM Grocery store for variety in cereals I think from the UK.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Welcome also Life in the Philippines. I'm taken back some years re reading this post and again remember what Gene, Asian Sprits said: "What's funny is that after you've been here a number of years you don't even notice it anymore."
So true and miss his input.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
266 Posts

Well. In my home country I have made thugs and small criminals as burglars move away by look at them hard,
BUT I will need to try to avoid doing that in Phils, because of the "Lose face" culture can make them feel they have to do something hostile to not lose face then, even if I would scare them so they don't realy want to, as I scared people in my home country just using eyes. Many Filipinos have guns...
A muscleleous Swedish friend of mine didn't follow that, scared a missbehaving local, who shouted threats to try to save face when he fled 🤣 but my friend's gf got very scared they would get attacked by a gang with guns, because they knew where my friend lived temporary. But nothing happened, perhaps depending of my friend was guest of a rich local.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts