Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm filing my US taxes (first time doing it). I worked in France and so I need to report my foreign salary.
I'm using Turbo Tax. I would like to know if I should report the Net income or Gross?
As you know, in France when you get your salary a % is taken away, "les cotisations sociales.
Which salary should I report to the IRS? before or after les cotisations?

Thanks for your help!

·
Administrator
51,970 Posts
I think I found the answer.
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/france-expat-forum-expats-living-france/71567-confused.html
I should report the gross income (before the cotisations).
Now, can the cotisations paid be deducted?

thanks =)
You're correct, you report your gross salary before any and all deductions. And no, you can't deduct your cotisations for US tax purposes.

One other thing to remember is that US taxes work strictly on a cash basis, so you can claim the foreign tax credit for any income taxes you paid to the fisc during 2011, no matter what year you were paying for. (If you receive a refund, you are supposed to declare that as income in the year in which you receive it.) If you wind up paying taxes on your French income in 2012 (for your salary in 2011), you can take that foreign tax credit next year even though you had no French salary in 2012.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.